oldbloke

Riding for 54 Years
Local time
Today, 21:19
First Name
Chris
My Ride
2000 Triumph 900 Legend tt
Thanks, there are still quite a lot around over here, I can't remember seeing them in great numbers at anytime. Maybe they didn't sell in great numbers, I don't know myself but, I am sure some of the guys on the TT site will have some idea. Personally, I wish I had bought one years ago, I have only had mine a few weeks and I love it !!!!, it is one of the nicest rides I have ever had, it is comfortable, handles well and has a lot of torque which gives it a very smooth power delivery. I have noticed, that they seem to have been well looked after, I have not seen any real dogs amongst them, but I suppose it's the kind of bike people would look after. I hope you find what you are looking for very soon. I don't think there is a great difference in the 3 models. If you look back in this conversation you will see a picture of 'Mad On Triumphs' T/Bird, he has had it for over 20 years, to me, that's says a hell of a lot about these bikes. When you find the right one let us all know and put a picture on the site. Ride Safe.

Bluegray57

Local time
Today, 16:19
My Ride
Working on it
Interestingly enough, I just found a '97 Tbird for sale in the next state over. He's asking $2950 with 26600 miles on it. I didn't notice it before because the listing title said Bonneville although in the description he has Tbird.

dearborn

Local time
First Name
Doug
My Ride
1996 Thunderbird, 1975(ish) Norton Commando
Of the 40+ bikes I've owned in 50+ years of riding- H-Ds, BMW, Hon/Yam/Kaw/Suz, etc, etc, I LOVE my 1996 Thunderbird. A few modifications- 1997 Kaw ZX9 rear shock swap, ( comp/rebound adjustable, rebuildable!), a Dynojet carb kit, rubber intake boots with the bigger I.D., RaceTech fork internals, braided stainless brake/cluch lines, handlebars to suit, etc. A real "keeper" Clean used ones for $2-$3k, many with low miles. Don't leak, don't break. Parts ARE a PIA, though, here in Detroit, USA, on par with Aprilia or Moto-Guzzi parts, but hey, I like those bikes, too

Tickymonks

Local time
Today, 21:19
First Name
Mick
My Ride
Triumph adventurer
I’ve bought a 96 adventurer early days but very impressed with the bike , find front forks seem a bit soft under heaving braking and font brake not the best , things to do is upgrade fork springs and a better brake line , very comfortable to ride though and can live with my issues as not a big problem due to its power output oh would love a 6th gear but only as my previous jap bikes having the extra gear

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I’ve bought a 96 adventurer early days but very impressed with the bike , find front forks seem a bit soft under heaving braking and font brake not the best , things to do is upgrade fork springs and a better brake line , very comfortable to ride though and can live with my issues as not a big problem due to its power output oh would love a 6th gear but only as my previous jap bikes having the extra gear
Have you thought about changing the front sprocket.? That will not give you an extra gear; but it will help highway travel at speed.

Wire-Wheels

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
Today, 13:19
My Ride
2002 America, 2000 Legend, 1995 Sprint
I have had a 2000' Legend for a few years now. Great bike ! Unfortunately, too many of these are getting hacked up by the cafe racer crowd. Mine.is fairly original. ...J.D.

Legend rear view.jpg

sikatri

Local time
Today, 15:19
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900

T/Bird

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:19
First Name
Steve
My Ride
1996 Thunderbird 900
Managed to get a few days on the bike, and it is without doubt a very impressive machine in my opinion. When you said before, it is the best bike you ever had, I now know exactly what you mean as I feel the same way about mine even at this early stage.:):):):)
Hi Old Bloke,

Had my '96 Thunderbird since new (October 1995) and I wouldn't part with it for the world. My son has already put his hand up for it when I finally decide to give up riding (god forbid!). Fantastic bikes. I have other, newer Triumphs, but the old girl is my baby. You could do a lot worse than buying one of these, that's if you can find them, mind you. Here is Aus, they are few and far between and those who own them, tend to hold onto them. Good luck with the search, something will come along.

Attachments

Qship

Riding for 40 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 17:19
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
Welcome @T/Bird from Eastern Canada.
Love the mid 90s T'birds.
Glad you found us.
BTW, oldbloke has not been seen here since 26 March 2018, so may not get a response from him.

T/Bird

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:19
First Name
Steve
My Ride
1996 Thunderbird 900
Glad you found us.
BTW, oldbloke has not been seen here since 26 March 2018, so may not get a response from him.
Glad you found us.
Hi Qship,
Thanks for the welcome. See you have a Series 2 Explorer, I also have a Series 1, as well as a 98 Sprint Executive. Love my Triumphs. Can't put my riding experience in the banner as the system says there's a problem when I try. Cheers Steve

Qship

Riding for 40 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 17:19
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
Gotta love a Triumph Triple. Great power, smooth and an alluring soundtrack.
@DaveM can you check out T/birds profile as to why he cannot enter his riding experience?

dearborn

Local time
First Name
Doug
My Ride
1996 Thunderbird, 1975(ish) Norton Commando
Like I said, I LOVE my '96 Thunderbird....EXCEPT.... the stock seat is horrible! After an hour or so, old foam collapses and ribs in plastic seat base for forward mounting tab burrow right into my pelvic bones. AAAARRRRRGGGHHH! Looks like PO might have peeled back the cover and removed some of the foam- short legs? Time to address this- been squirming and complaining for couple of years. Add some stiffer foam? gel pad? Wife has a stiff foam kneeling pad for gardening I've been eyeing....

grandpaul

Old Bike Lover
Riding for 50 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 15:19
My Ride
Legend 900 Triple
Hi Guys, I have recently been browsing at other bikes, and the Hinckley triples caught my eye and I really have fallen for them, I think they are a truly beautiful bike and I don't know why I have overlooked them for so long. ( probably blinded by Bonnies ). Can anyone tell me the good and bad points and basic differences between the 3 models ?, and if you own one what is the situation for getting spare parts?. Considering the age of these bikes some of them seem to command quite high prices, so, do you think they are value for money ?. I have noticed that 2 bikes of the same year and similar mileages can have considerable variations in price. I would really like to hear some honest opinions.
I have a 2000 Legend 900, and LOVE it. It's actually more my wyfe's bike, as it has a slightly lower seat height than her 2002 Bonneville, and it also has better low end grunt.

The market for bike sales can vary WILDLY, for nearly identical bikes. Mainly it is the seller's prerogative to set the price, it doesn't mean they'll actually GET the asking price (don't I know it).

MANY other conditions factor in to what bikes sell for, especially bike LOCATION. Firstly, because some locales (major cities) have a large potential buyer base, others (remote small towns) do not. Secondly, if a buyer has to pay transportation costs for a cross-country shipment, that has to be factored in.

The Thunderbird has hotter cams, so "sportier". Also the double front discs.

The Legend is more of a "power cruiser".

The Adventurer is what Triumph (Hinkley) first came up with to recall the classic Bonneville's market dominance from the good ol' days.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom