T100 rocky beginning and finally a big grin.

Allen B.

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
Today, 03:39
First Name
Allen
My Ride
2011 Bonneville T100 Forest Green/ New England White
I picked up my new to me 2011 T00 September 2nd. The ride home was 30mi. Of interstate and I knew that big, nearly flat windshield and big leather saddlebags would buffet like crazy and jar me the whole way. It's obvious now how the previous owner wore a flat spot down the middle of the rear tire.

The offending hardware was promptly removed and the following day I set out to transfer the title and get it registered in my name. A trip to the BMV seldom goes smooth and this time was no exception.

After standing outside for 30 minutes, then inside for 30 minutes more, masked and socially distant I was I was less than thrilled to learn that the title was inactive and useless. I called the previous owner and they checked their paperwork, as the clerk suspected, the original title was thought to be lost and a replacement was made. The original was accidentally given to me. Fortunately the P.O. made a bee line to get the valid title to me later that evening.

Another day, another title and I'm back in the saddle.

With precious riding time already wasted, I was able to get a few short bouts around the neighborhood before getting struck down with food poisoning labor day weekend.

I called my doctor's office confidant in the description of my food poisoning, but I was stopped somewhat abruptly and told those symptoms are consistent with, (you guessed it) COVID 19!
"You will have to be tested before the doctor will see you. I don't have anything available today, Thursday 3:45."
Test results were in Friday afternoon and I am happy to say I am covid free..

Finally! My food poisoning symptoms have gone away and I was able to get on the beautiful Bonneville and get familiar with it on this beautiful Saturday afternoon.
This bike is everything I hoped it would be. It could definitely benefit from some suspension upgrades, but it is still fairly civil. Power is good and strolls along easily, yet responds well to a twist of the wrist.
A centerstand is in shipping and hopefully will arrive in three or four days. Bleeding the muck out of the brake lines will be on my agenda soon as well.

Cheers,
Allen IMG_20200912_144537_1~2.jpg

Qship

Riding for 40 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 04:39
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
Good stuff! Glad it's coming together.
There a several posts about upgrading the weak suspension on the older T100s. Look around and see what you like.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 28 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
Great looking bike TUP TUP
Many of us went with Progressive fork springs and after market shocks. These are mods you can do yourself.
My T100 is a 2006 model and I fitted Progressive fork springs and Ikon rear shocks.
They were a big improvement in handling and ride.

FYI, this is the difference in the factory spring and spacer from my bike compared to the much longer Progressive spring.

old and new springs (2017_03_14 14_37_51 UTC).jpg

Allen B.

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
Today, 03:39
First Name
Allen
My Ride
2011 Bonneville T100 Forest Green/ New England White
Progressives are what I had in mind for the front end, I've installed them in some of my other bikes.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 28 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
The Ikon shocks aren't cheap, but they improved the ride and I soon forgot how much they cost BGRIN
When the rear tire would hit a hole or a sharp bump it would send a shock up my spine.
With the Ikons most of that shock is gone and I barely notice it any more.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom