T140E rocker box torque?

t140guy

Local time
Yesterday, 23:16
My Ride
1978 T140E, Tiger Gold & Tawny Brown
Hey guys. Anyone know the torque for the rocker box bolts on a T140E? Trying to fix the oil leaks with new gaskets and o rings. Thanks

I got to the point where I just felt the "snugness" of the fastener, then stopped tightening (except on rod nuts and head bolts)

I agree with GP. Tight is tight enough or you risk stripping the threads.
Smooth flat mating surfaces and good gaskets should be good enough to stop leaks.

I agree with GP and Rocky.

torque for the rocker box bolts on a T140E? Trying to fix the oil leaks with new gaskets and o rings.
I see you've made just two posts to this forum, four and a half years apart. So you're either very experienced with Triumph twins or a complete newbie. If the latter, descriptions like "snug", "tight", etc. by long-time experienced owners are likely as much use as a chocolate fireguard ...

If you're a newbie:-

. There are four bolts of two different sizes and three nuts attaching each rockerbox to the cylinder head. The different torque settings are all in the proper Triumph workshop manual, at the end of the "GENERAL DATA" section, under "TORQUE WRENCH SETTINGS (DRY)" (just before the start of the "ROUTINE MAINTENANCE" section)?

. If you don't have a proper Triumph workshop manual, they're available new through decent Triumph parts retailers or direct from the publisher in England - 1979-83 Triumph 750 workshop manual. Buy one because you'll need it for more than fixing oil leaks from the rockerboxes.

. A proper Triumph parts book for your bike's model year is also available either from the same sources (the publisher in England, scroll down to find the one matching your bike's model year) or free to read online - Vintage Bike Magazine » Parts Books and click on the link to the book you want.

. If you don't find a torque for each rockerbox bolt or nut in the workshop manual, or you aren't sure which manual setting applies to which fastener, ask again (specifying what you aren't sure about)?

I see you've made just two posts to this forum, four and a half years apart. So you're either very experienced with Triumph twins or a complete newbie. If the latter, descriptions like "snug", "tight", etc. by long-time experienced owners are likely as much use as a chocolate fireguard ...

If you're a newbie:-

. There are four bolts of two different sizes and three nuts attaching each rockerbox to the cylinder head. The different torque settings are all in the proper Triumph workshop manual, at the end of the "GENERAL DATA" section, under "TORQUE WRENCH SETTINGS (DRY)" (just before the start of the "ROUTINE MAINTENANCE" section)?

. If you don't have a proper Triumph workshop manual, they're available new through decent Triumph parts retailers or direct from the publisher in England - 1979-83 Triumph 750 workshop manual. Buy one because you'll need it for more than fixing oil leaks from the rockerboxes.

. A proper Triumph parts book for your bike's model year is also available either from the same sources (the publisher in England, scroll down to find the one matching your bike's model year) or free to read online - Vintage Bike Magazine » Parts Books and click on the link to the book you want.

. If you don't find a torque for each rocker-box bolt or nut in the workshop manual, or you aren't sure which manual setting applies to which fastener, ask again (specifying what you aren't sure about)?
Hi folks, this is just my two pence worth, having owned 650 & 750 twins for a number of years. Torque settings need to be followed ... sometimes later recommendations are made, such as slightly higher ( 2-3lbs) torque settings for some model head bolts/studs etc but generally follow the factory settings.
The push-rod tubes are notorious for leaks and as time goes by and sometimes the need for sealant is, or may be, required. I and a lot of my friends have used top quality sealant in small quantities to solve leaks here.
Another thing to consider is the possibility there is pressure building in the top end. this can be caused by a couple of issues that someone more experienced than me will inform you about and can check for you. Good luck.

Hope you can read this from the workshop manual

Attachments

• 20200302_080522.jpg
    20200302_080522.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 7
Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom