T140V rear engine mount

jim1958

Local time
Yesterday, 22:57
First Name
Jim Mckeeman
My Ride
1976 Triumph Bonneville T140V
I took my '76 T140V down to the frame last fall to have an oil leak fixed at the swing arm weld. Putting her back together and I feel like an idiot because I am having problems getting the right rear engine mount and rear brake assemblies back together. I assume there is a progression. I put the rear end and brake assemblies back together then put the engine back in. The engine mount bolt on the very bottom of the mounting bracket, inside (behind) the rear brake pedal is a son of a gun. Should I take the brake assembly apart to give me access to the engine mount bolts?

Does anyone have an exploded view of this part of a 76 bonnie? I probably will just take the rear end apart again to see if that gives me access.

Thanks to anyone who answers!

Attachments

• P1010002[1].jpg
    P1010002[1].jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 45
  • P1010086.jpg
    P1010086.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 46
heya jim
hang in there mate,
there are plenty of classic owners who will help once they see this.

Thanks Devo. I rebuilt her in 1993, but had a bike shop in town that specialized in british iron. When I got stuck, I went down to Gene Plue's shop and just looked at another bike or asked Gene questions. Oh well, a Sunday in the garage playing with her is not a bad way to spend a day.

Well looks like you did a fine job up until now, sorry I cannot be of much help but as Harry said one of the classic guys should be able to give you some help with this

Jim, I seem to recall scanning and posting a picture of this from a workshop manual for someone in the past here on TT.

Looks in my photo gallery under "pics for posts".

If I'm wrong, post back and I can scan another for you.

Posted from my Idea Tab using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Seeker,

I was able to find an original workshop manual from another post and downloaded it, but it does not show a diagram of the right rear engine mount, probably because that is so simple of a process. I am convinced that I just need to take the rear wheel off and the rear brake assembly off to give me room to access that bottom bolt and nut. Good football on today (even though the Broncos are not playing) and have a TV in the garage. A great way to spend the day. Will post a response and a picture of my success. BTW, have owned this Bonnie since 1982 when I bought it in West Germany when I was in the Army. Rode her in W. Germany. What an experience. An American GI, riding a British Bike with German bikers.

Oh, and I did look in your gallery under pics for posts and could not find. If you do have it and can scan again, I would be most appeciative. thanks!

Jim, I seem to recall scanning and posting a picture of this from a workshop manual for someone in the past here on TT.

Looks in my photo gallery under "pics for posts".

If I'm wrong, post back and I can scan another for you.

Posted from my Idea Tab using Tapatalk HD

AJ the only one I can seem to find is this one.

Click on image for larger view

Thanks Dave. Hi Ho, Hi Ho, off to the Garage I go................

All I have to offer is this page from a 1973 T140V parts book.
FWIW

T140V.jpg

Hi Jim,

I think I found what you are after. When I dismantled my one it looked a little cramped, so I thought photos would help me when I put it together some months later when I knew I would have forgotten how it all went together. They did!

Rear Master Cyl 1.jpgRear Master Cyl 2.jpgRear Master Cyl 4.jpgRear Master Cyl 5.jpgRear Master Cylinder 6.jpgRear Master Cyl 7.jpgRear Master Cyl 8.jpgRear Master Cyl 9.jpgRear Master Cyl 10.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all for the assistance. Yes there is an order of operation. I did have to pull the brake assembly and master cylinder mounting plate for the rear brake. The bolt that had me scratching my head is covered up on the inside by the mounting plate and you cannot get the nut on the end of the bolt unless the mounting plate is not on. I had put the rear end topgether and rear tire on for stability then put the engine back in. Oh joy, now I get to wrestle witht the brake spring again!

I'm sure that if they put a little more time into that design they could have made it a bit heavier and a little more complex.
What a nonsense!
Not surprised that Jim was after a bit of help.

Hi Jim,

I think I found what you are after. When I dismantled my one it looked a little cramped, so I thought photos would help me when I put it together some months later when I knew I would have forgotten how it all went together. They did!

View attachment 9042View attachment 9043View attachment 9044View attachment 9045View attachment 9046View attachment 9047View attachment 9048View attachment 9049View attachment 9050

Hope this helps.

Sea Dog, thank you so much mate! I took a lot of pictures too, just not of this part of the bike. If I could, would buy you a cold one. Cheers!

I'm sure that if they put a little more time into that design they could have made it a bit heavier and a little more complex.
What a nonsense!
Not surprised that Jim was after a bit of help.

Not to mention that Triumph had switched the brake pedal to the other side and then switched to hydraulic disc brakes.....too much for them to handle I suppose?

Sea Dog, thank you so much mate! I took a lot of pictures too, just not of this part of the bike. If I could, would buy you a cold one. Cheers!

It's a pleasure to help Jim. I'll just go to the fridge and grab a cold one out now and toast your success. BBEER

Not to mention that Triumph had switched the brake pedal to the other side and then switched to hydraulic disc brakes.....too much for them to handle I suppose?

Back in 1974 I purchased a Ducati 750 SS, their first attempt at rear discs was so simple and effective, they used Lockheed parts. Why Triumph couldn't do as well is a mystery.
This was taken at a meeting in early 75, notice it was only a rod that pulled a cam directly operating the m/c piston, unfortunately hidden under the side cover.

SCAN0309.jpg

Now that was an expensive motorcycle to go racing on in those days. must have been great fun though.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom