T160 Re-commission

Did forget to mention that during my "test runs" - achieving some 40 miles in total - I do have an oil leak from the upper front of the engine. This I surmise is coming from the left and right upper push rod tube seals, (Oil is evident on the cooling fins of both sides of the barrels). It could be head gasket - difficult to tell tbh... but hopefully not.
At this stage I am not overly worried about this - reading up on the problem there appears to be an improved seal design available as opposed to those original white "nylon" type affairs, (Note: I am sure they are not Nylon - but you know what I mean - I think.)
Once the idling issue is behind me - I'll address this - will be an ideal time to look at the valve seats, piston size, bore wear and to establish, hopefully, some history of the engine.

oil leak from the upper front of the engine
surmise is coming from the left and right upper push rod tube seals
appears to be an improved seal design available as opposed to those original white "nylon" type
"improved seal design" = "X ring"; if so, mmm ...

There actually is not much wrong with the white (or translucent) silicone seals, one of the tricks is to 'crush' them within a certain range; too much or too little, they leak. Also, if p.o. have been skimming the head and/or the block, that changes the seals' 'crush'. (n)

When you address the oil leak: handily and unlike the twins, you can remove just the rocker box; in addition to the listed 70-4752 seal, Triumph made a thinner one (70-3547); two separate people make adjustable pushrod cover tubes.

"improved seal design" = "X ring"; if so, mmm ...

There actually is not much wrong with the white (or translucent) silicone seals, one of the tricks is to 'crush' them within a certain range; too much or too little, they leak. Also, if p.o. have been skimming the head and/or the block, that changes the seals' 'crush'. (n)

When you address the oil leak: handily and unlike the twins, you can remove just the rocker box; in addition to the listed 70-4752 seal, Triumph made a thinner one (70-3547); two separate people make adjustable pushrod cover tubes.
All points noted Rudie - many thanks - there is much posted on various sites about these push rod tube seals - and clearly once it is thoroughly understood exactly what is going on the solution does not appear to be huge.
One interesting thread I read, (somewhere), was varying lengths found in the push rod tubes once measured with remedial machining being warranted to establish a common length.
As you pointed out, good new at this stage that the head can stay on - as once the head is off it is so easy just to keep on digging..... (and spending money)

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom