Tbird Sport - Replace Handlebars Or Barback Risers?

Gareth

Local time
Today, 11:44
First Name
Gareth
My Ride
Triumph Thunderbird Sport 900 (year 2000)
Hello folks

Looking for advice if anyone can help. Want to raise my handlebars for a more upright riding position on my year 2000 Thunderbird Sport.

My question is: should I replace the handlebars with Speed Triple bars + new end weights or invest in adjustable barback risers (Rox Speed)? I've done the research and both solutions are possible.

Photos attached of the gear I'm considering. Both solutions give approximately the same angles to the new riding position (images from the excellent site Motorcycle Ergonomics). The price comes to about the same, bars and end weights a little less.

Factors I'm considering for new bars vs risers are:

1. Which solution will give less road vibration?
2. Will either require new control cables?
3. Will barback risers look naff on my TBS?
4. I'm OK with working on the bike myself. How much hassle is replacing the bars in terms of rerouting cables and removing the left hand grip?

Searched the forums for an answer to this one but nothing here.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-15-20-20-59.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-15-20-20-59.png
    335.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2018-03-15-20-22-32.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-15-20-22-32.png
    237.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_2018-03-15-20-23-35.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-15-20-23-35.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_2018-03-15-20-25-22-1.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-15-20-25-22-1.png
    546.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2018-03-15-20-26-09-1.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-15-20-26-09-1.png
    567.4 KB · Views: 5
Looking on EBay for a solution to the same problem, every item I found to do this was way pricey, but I found a used upper yoke assembly from an ancient early Honda Gold Wing for $20. Pretty crusty and rough. Came with a pair of alloy risers that fit the stock Triumph riser mounting bolt spacing perfectly, had the "half moon" relief in the upper for the bottom of the 'bars" and fit the stock Triumph upper mount/cover with the 2 mounting bolts on each side exactly. Only required a quick pass with a "clean out" tap to work. These looked like original Honda parts, not aftermarket, that attached the handle bars to the yoke. Moved the bars up about 1 inch and back about 1 inch. A few minutes on the buffing wheel and they look and work, great! I was using a pair of "super bike bend" handle bars, which I liked, ($25), but just a bit too far forward for my aching back. Raining like crazy outside now, but I'll try to get out there to snap and send a photo tomorrow

Glad you found a workable solution. TUP

I haven't been around much for the past year so I didn't see your original post until just a few minutes ago. I was, well before I saw your solution, going to suggest the Rox Risers.

Looked at the Rox Risers and other similar, but they were over a hundred bucks, as I recall. The ancient Gold Wing risers work great. On the Honda. they are bolted directly to the upper yoke. Used on the Triumph, they bolt to the Triumph risers and thus use the Triumph vibration dampers/rubber mounts.
Check out the thread on using a Kaw ZX9 rear shock in place of the non-rebuildable Triumph units. A cheap, easy and effective suspension upgrade

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom