the new tires are here the new tires are here!!!!!!!!!!!

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 20:33
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
That looks like a fine tire. I like the tread design.

keystiger

The Joker
Riding for 42 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 19:33
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
2005 Triumph Tiger, British Racing Green--the fastest color
Well, got a few hundred miles on em and so far......so good :y2:

Going on a nice little 200 mile run tomorrow, 2 up to the Dauphin Island Vintage Bike show, so will see how they do on a longer run than 20-30 mile commutes.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Glad to hear they are doing fine so far. Let me know what you think of them after the road trip.

avion

Android Guru
Local time
Today, 03:33
First Name
Gareth / G
My Ride
Tiger 800 2011
Thanks for the great write-up. I have seen them recently advertised here in the magazines. However I've only seen superbike sizes.
Interesting note on the over-inflation. People think I'm mad for running stock pressures (guys I 'know' tell me they're too hard) - but it works for me.

Dschief

Local time
Today, 01:33
I'm with you Avion, I stay with the suggested inflation. I figure Triumph had a lot more time to test different pressures than I do, so who am I to second guess their judgement.

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 52 Years
Local time
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
I have a set of 705's sitting in my garage waiting to be put into service. Hopefully I can get them mounted up next week. One of my riding partners used to run them on his VStrom and his riding style is pretty much the same as mine so I quizzed him about them and decided I'd give them a try. Hopefully they will meet my needs.

I agree with Avion & Dschief on their air pressure comments. I was reading on another forum about tire air pressures and thought I had somehow gotten transferred to an oil thread. Like I told them on the other forum, I air up to what I like and run what oil I want to use. I guess I shouldn't have done that because I caused the air pressure thread to become a double edged sword, they are now at each others throats over air pressure and oil. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keystiger

The Joker
Riding for 42 Years
Local time
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
Well.....not to play devil's advocate but this begs the question in my mind......."which manufacturer?" If the Tire calls for a different psi than the making of the bike.....does one trump the other?

This maybe common knowledge ......but I notice the recommended numbers for the Tiger are 36 front and 42 rear.
Shinko says 33 front and 42 rear
Anakees where 41 front and 41 rear
thats as much as an 8lb variance on the front....the rear... 1 or 2 lb difference....no big deal.

This leads me to believe the tire mfct. number is more critical than the bike mfct. ?????

It also leads me to believe I am putting WAAAAAAAAY to much thought in to this tire thing lol........
:y21:

Dschief

Local time
Today, 01:33
Great, now I guess we'll be debating air quality (% humidty, % nitrogen, % oxygen, etc, etc......). "I personally like the air in the northern part of the US due to lower humidity, and Florida has more salt in the air so it rots tires from the inside" Hahahahaha

keystiger

The Joker
Riding for 42 Years
Local time
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
Yes, however the proper "salt" amount can assist in balancing the tire .....like those "balancing beads" they sell......naturally.

The humid air here on the gulf coast means you never have to wash the bike.......as you ride the humidity does it for you :y2:

Just dry it off when you get home and BAM! All clean.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I think Triumph's or any manufacturer's recommended pressures are based on testing for average, all around riding. That would lead me to conclude that if you ride in Florida - flat and few curves and even fewer twisties, you might run a little more air pressure for better mileage and longer tire life. On the other hand, if you are riding in the mountains, especially on back roads, you might decrease the pressure for better grip. I can fell the difference in handling and ride simply by increasing the pressure two or three pounds. I run 36 pounds in the front and 40 in the rear for my Florida riding. In the mountains, I run 36 rear and 34 in the front.

Dave, I like your salt air theory! TUP BGRIN

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 52 Years
Local time
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
I hadn't thought about the difference in tire and bike manufacture air pressures. I've been looking at the tire stamped pressures. Now I'm going to have to do some more thinking. The only problem is "when I thinks, I goes to sleep."

keystiger

The Joker
Riding for 42 Years
Local time
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
I try not to do to much of it myself Hemibee.....I am way out of my comfort zone on this tire thing now.

I guess it don't matter. Run what ya like and works best for you or your current riding situation sure there is no real right and wrong. Just seemed odd to me the variances between Bike Mfct. numbers and tire mfct. numbers.

keystiger

The Joker
Riding for 42 Years
Local time
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
Well its official. I like these tires. 200+ mile trip 2 up today and all is well.
Road grip was great through the twisties, comfortable on the super slab at around 80 mph. and wonderful offroading grip through a sandy field to park at the Dauphin Island Bike Show.

Very very happy with these for the price...... oh and I am running Motul synthetic oil if anyone is keeping score but tire pressure numbers are a guarded secret.... lol

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Thank you for the report. I am about to need a new rear tire/tyre on the Bonnie.

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 52 Years
Local time
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
Thanks for the report, I'm getting more excited about getting mine mounted up.

Were/are yours the radial 705's?

keystiger

The Joker
Riding for 42 Years
Local time
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
Yes mine are the 705's but if you go to the site they offer a number of other styles and sizes for various bike styles.

Not sure what would work best on the Bonnie Carl, but I am quite pleased with these, and am sure they have a size/style that will work.

Are they as sticky as my Speed Triples Conntinental Road attacks....no but those where over 200.00 each
Are they as good as Pirelli Scorpions......maybe not, but again 1/4 the price. For the discounted rate I am a very very happy camper.
TUP

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 52 Years
Local time
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
They offer the 705's in both bias ply and radials and was curious which you ordered. The ones I ordered were the radials.

keystiger

The Joker
Riding for 42 Years
Local time
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
They are the radials for the Tiger I understand from the distributor that the Tiger sizes where only available in radials.
Put a bunch more miles on them this week, and still like them. decently "sticky" in the twisties, I must say they do make the front end and steering MUCH lighter/quicker than the Anakees....has taken some adjusting in riding style, but must say it has makin the Tiger even more agile, on tarmac anyway, haven't had a chance to hit any dirt with them yet.......really need to do that :)

avion

Android Guru
Local time
Today, 03:33
First Name
Gareth / G
My Ride
Tiger 800 2011
How would compare the wear rates of the Scorpions to the Anakees?

Obviously can't compare the Shinko's just yet.
It would be great if you keep us updated though.

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 52 Years
Local time
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
haven't had a chance to hit any dirt with them yet.......really need to do that :)

I have a new 705 on the rear of my Tiger and a new front waiting to be mounted my next day off.

I got the chance to hit a few dirt roads with the new rear and still grinning from ear to ear. We road the same roads as a previous run so I was able to compare the difference in my old set up and the new. World of difference, granted the old rear was a wore out (I could see the color of the air) Battlax BT-021 so I don't have any real good tire to compare the new Shinko to in the dirt on the Tiger. Now it's not a ditch digging, rock chunking, mud slinging, monster roost tire like the TerraFlex on my KTM but it performed great on the first dirt road test. Can't wait to give it a try with 705' on both ends of the scoot.

I didn't push it on the pavement but the few twisties we rode were no problem. But then again I'm no corner blazing ball of fire either.

YMMV

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom