Thoughts on keeping the Triumph

Admjr

Local time
Today, 15:23
First Name
Dale
My Ride
Triumph Tiger XCA
I have a 2018 Triumph Tiger XCA. I really like the bike, but the engine produces so much heat it is uncomfortable to ride. Thinking about trading for a BMW 1200GSA, but am unfamiliar with the bike and don’t want to just trade for different issues.... Any thoughts or advice is welcome. Thank you

Wow, this seems to be a common problem with the Tiger. A quick Google search turned up an ADV thread on it, dated July 2016. The forumites there say there are many threads on it...

Looks as though it's the nature of that particular beast. Maybe search Google for someone's homegrown fix for it?

Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

Not sure if the GS line runs hot or not, but having your feet and lower legs right behind two big cylinders must be warm as well I would think. Would have to research and talk to some riders of those bikes to confirm I guess.

This past Monday I test rode an 18 "Low" version at Fort Myers FL. I didn't notice any heat issues however the test ride consisted of about three miles around the block twice. Some 55 mph plus and some stop and go at 90 degrees. I liked the bike but I sure don't want heat issues around my butt so now I am a little concerned. I did notice the lack of wind/rain protection compared to my TTSE. Going to test again if the dealer, Stu's Triumph/Indian, will mount a touring windshield. I think I will also ask if I can do a longer ride next time. Thanks for the info.

BMW's are nice but do a Google search for 'Final Drive Failure' and see how you feel then! LOL

I'm new to the forum but will give you my opinion, if it matters.

I currently own a 2016 TTSE with all types of service issues (a story for another day). I am planning on buying a Tiger 1200 XCA this year. I have ridden the GSA and the Tiger and I can tell you the Tiger is a better bike, IMHO.

Tiger PROS;

1. Better power
  2. smoother ride
  3. MUCH smoother transmission
  4. MUCH better wind protection/wind management with windscreen
  5. Had no issues with heat and I live in So. Cal. and rode the bike for 60 miles, hard at times, in the summer.
  6. Standing ergonomics are better
  7. more exciting to ride

BMW PROS;

1. 8-gallon tank
  2. integrated GPS/Phone/Music in TFT
  3. loaner program so you don't have to be without your bike for 1-2 months at a time like I have to be with my TTSE (bitter!)

The Tiger is the better all-around bike and I would buy it over the GSA. I have ridden both (BMW GSA rides include the 1200 and 1250) several times, for 50-60 miles each time and every time I ride them I end up wanting more of the Tiger and less of the GSA. That's my take on it.

I took that BMW for a test ride and I could not wait to get it back and off it. It really did not feel great to me like I was sitting on top of a bike and not in it and in tune with it.

I road the 650 for some time and really liked it so the disapointment was huge when I tried the 1200

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom