Throttle cable fail... I think.

Local time
Yesterday, 23:41
First Name
Marcus
My Ride
2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander
Today I was riding my 2014 Commander with only 2854 miles and two miles down the road... a mountain road, while in a line of cars and we were just passing a semi truck at the beginning of the passing lane, and I lost power; with cars climbing up my rear, I'm waving to slow them and having to merge right in front of the truck I'm just passing. Good news: I was going down hill and was able to make it a half mile to where the road widen on the side enough to pull over safely.

The throttle had no action to it, feels like the cable let loose or broke, WTF? On a bike with only 2854 miles! My Honda was 2003 (sold 3 1/2 years ago) and it had over 36,000 miles on it with no problems ever. I've only had this bike since April (779 miles on ODO) it's failed to start for no reason and now this. When the non-start happened I thought it was the kick stand or a switch not on and I couldn't figure it out, I had electrical. Then I after a while I just happened to switched the light beam up & down while holding the starter (in frustration) and it finally started.

And I didn't know about the piston slap problem before I bought it, all the reviews did nothing but praise the bike, I found out about that on this board after I bought bike and didn't experience the slap until after. I love the way the bike rides, but is it reliable?

The bad news: Late to a doctor appointment, I towed bike to the closest Triumph dealer and they are closed on Mondays with locked gates, so I had to leave the bike 2 doors down at a dentist office. They didn't want to let me leave it, they were worried about the neighborhood and homeless around, I assured them that the bike was fully insured and I wouldn't hold them liable if anything happens.

Now I gotta go down and deal with the bike tomorrow.

It's probably the throttle sleeve where the cable attaches. I've heard of this from another board and mostly with heated grips.

It's probably the throttle sleeve where the cable attaches. I've heard of this from another board and mostly with heated grips.
That makes sense, I notice a small gap between the end cap and throttle that wasn't there before the break down. The grips aren't heated, but the temp got down to a low of 20 degrees for three nights in a row, with a sunny high near 60 degrees, I wonder if that had anything to do with it? The bike was under a cover during the garage construction, but the sun is intense at 6,200' & 60 degrees with no wind feels really warm. The temp rose about 25 degrees in about hour & a half before I left home that day; it was really pretty warm after a few colder days in a row.

Do you know if the fix is just removing the grip and replacing the sleeve?

Yes, the throttle sleeve is plastic. I've heard that the housing has a sharp edge inside that makes contact with the sleeve where the cables attach.

Yes, the throttle sleeve is plastic. I've heard that the housing has a sharp edge inside that makes contact with the sleeve where the cables attach.
The dealer called and said "it was a broken grip" so, that's the sleeve. Too bad the break down happened where it did, that would have been something I could have fixed. The way the whole ordeal happened along with the fact you only get one tow when you break down I had to decide dealer or home.

It's going to take a week to get the part too.

Let us know when you get the TBird home!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom