Thruxton touring mods

Palooka21

Local time
Today, 02:10
My Ride
2016 thruxton 1200
To make a long story short, I am looking to make my thruxton more tour worthy. I want to find triple trees that accept regular handle bars and want to attach hard bags, or at least a hard bag support or mounting system. I am weary of purchasing bonnie parts because of possible slight frame geometry differences, differences in rear fender shape, steering head angle differences, etc. I do not want to waste hundreds of dollars on experimentation. Has anyone made any of these mods successfully and know for a fact that they work? Any tips on where to find the parts?

IM sorry im unable to help you on this ive never had your bike or a bonnie but i would think that some one some where has done it and the info is out there just a case of finding it !

If it’s a 2016 Onwards Thruxton not an ‘R’ the T120 top yoke and bars which are available with risers too will fit

What year is your Thruxton?

It’s a 2018

Attachments

• 46A4CC3C-C6CD-4398-B3EA-8AE868591D84.jpeg
    46A4CC3C-C6CD-4398-B3EA-8AE868591D84.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 26
It’s a 2018
Your going to bump into cables and Hydraulics to short.
Can't help on top and bottom Triple Trees.
Norton / Vincent Flat bars are the Go
If the Top Yokes are thick enough , get some after market Yoke Bar Clamps. Try Up Market Enduro Shops., not cheap Asian stuff.

Your going to bump into cables and Hydraulics to short.
Can't help on top and bottom Triple Trees.
Norton / Vincent Flat bars are the Go
If the Top Yokes are thick enough , get some after market Yoke Bar Clamps. Try Up Market Enduro Shops., not cheap Asian stuff.
Sorry Chris I answered to Palooka21 mine is staying with low bars and fairing

It looks like you have the lower clip-ons on the bike (come with the fairing). Have you thought about putting the stick clip-ons back on? They'll give you about an inch or more rise.

It looks like you have the lower clip-ons on the bike (come with the fairing). Have you thought about putting the stick clip-ons back on? They'll give you about an inch or more rise.
I have the stock coupon on. I dont have the fairing

To make a long story short, I am looking to make my thruxton more tour worthy. I want to find triple trees that accept regular handle bars and want to attach hard bags, or at least a hard bag support or mounting system. I am weary of purchasing bonnie parts because of possible slight frame geometry differences, differences in rear fender shape, steering head angle differences, etc. I do not want to waste hundreds of dollars on experimentation. Has anyone made any of these mods successfully and know for a fact that they work? Any tips on where to find the parts?
Yes it can be done. ABM bar risers, Hector and Bector bags and c-bow mounts. K-tech suspension front and rear. Rizoma adjustable pegs. Avon ST tires in 70 series to aid turn in. Also, a screen door style steering damper! Plus a few other things to boot.

Attachments

• 28EF9381-08E7-415F-9562-DDAC1C82678D.jpeg
    28EF9381-08E7-415F-9562-DDAC1C82678D.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 8201D5BC-42D4-4A75-ABAC-F551C1017F9F.jpeg
    8201D5BC-42D4-4A75-ABAC-F551C1017F9F.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 23
Looks like you’ve already made a huge handle bar change . If that’s the stock seat I would be looking at changing it or having it modified. You will never find a hard bag set up for a Thruxton, just no demand in the market place for it . Many ADV guys are trending to soft bags anyway . Easy thing to do would be trade it for a Tiger 800 but looks like you’re down the road a bit now to be making U turn .

Looks like you’ve already made a huge handle bar change . If that’s the stock seat I would be looking at changing it or having it modified. You will never find a hard bag set up for a Thruxton, just no demand in the market place for it . Many ADV guys are trending to soft bags anyway . Easy thing to do would be trade it for a Tiger 800 but looks like you’re down the road a bit now to be making U turn .
I bought the bike this way. It was the ugliest Thruxton I had ever seen. I had to rescue it. The previous owner, whom I tracked down, was a nice guy. He just has bad taste. I think she looks much better now. I already have a Tiger and a Trophy. This bike was a rescue and I do like her. You can get hard bags if you want. I like the soft bags. They lock on and come off with the turn of a key. For some reason I think a bike should have some bags. I will probably get a different set eventually. I have many injuries from crashes so the cafe racer position is not feasible. The bike is really fantastic this way. Not the overstuffed brown seat and riot shield way. The way I have semi restored her. 1577214398294.jpeg

Attachments

• AD984A31-9F67-46D8-8972-50AEBEB38C8D.jpeg
    AD984A31-9F67-46D8-8972-50AEBEB38C8D.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 15
Am getting the picture now . What top triple clamps are used to allow the bar change ?

ABM makes a kit. It’s triple clamps and cables I believe. The bars are T120 bars. I thought I would not like the bars but they have the perfect bend for my control. No discomfort which is rare for me.

This is what mine looks like .570D26F8-1193-408C-B50B-B2CCCE44A42D.jpeg

I have the ABM set up . Yours are certainly not the bars that come with the kit .27CC1277-5233-4519-9A61-B8AFD1A7C777.jpeg

Probably not, the original owner modified this bike to no end. Thank good he did not splice into the wiring. It also has the tubeless kit so no more tubes.

Sounds like a dogs breakfast alright ! But I like the tubeless mod .

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom