Thunderbird 900 Rear Shock

Bikeymike

Local time
Today, 16:21
First Name
Mike
My Ride
Triumph and Suzuki
My 2001 Thunderbird is due for a rear shock swap. Any suggestions for a replacement, preferably with easy preload adjustment for when I take a pillion ?

There are a couple of threads here about swapping in a Kawasaki ZX7 rear unit which has comp/rebound adj. One of the threads is mine detailing this swap on my 1996 Thunderbird. READ THEM CAREFULLY!! critical to find 1997(ish) Kaw ZX9 unit with remote nitrogen unit on a hose- NOT the one attached to the unit that sticks out at an angle- use that one and you'll be busy with the sawzall! The stock Triumph unit is NOT rebuildable, but parts for the Kaw unit are available, (new bladder for reservoir, etc) are from RACETECH. Aftermarket units- new- are avail. from a number of sources, but $$$$$$$!!!!. If I remember correctly, I paid about $50, (USD), for a used Kaw shock, $15 for some nice alloy "dog bones" which polished up nicely, (drag racers use these to adj. ride height- the Kaw shock is longer and will raise the rear a lot- about 2 inches- the 3 holes in the alloy dog bones will allow lowering rear to stock ride height without affecting susp. geometry), a new bladder from RaceTech and $20 to the guy at the local dirt bike shop to re-fill the nitrogen reservoir. Estimating that the Thunderbird and the ZX9 were similar weight, I used the Kaw spring. Total was around $100. SETTING "SAG" PROPERLY IS IMPORTANT!!! Result- VERY much, all 'round improvement! Comp/rebound adj. done easily/quickly with screwdriver for pillion, (my daughter is about 125lb/50kg) is MUCH happier! Look for thread- "Swap for ZX7?" early experiment- ZX7 DOES NOT WORK! or "Swap for ZX9" for later, successful swap

Also thread "T-bird Suspension Upgrades"

Thanks mate, I will look into this idea, we have a few parts breakers here in Aussie

My 2001 Thunderbird is due for a rear shock swap. Any suggestions for a replacement, preferably with easy preload adjustment for when I take a pillion ?
For regular riding, my YKK does a good job.

This one, from this seller. From the standard unit on my (approx) 30' k bike, it made a very positive difference. And of coourse. It's YSS and not YKK...
Thanks, I will follow up this lead. Is it easy to adjust preload in-situ ?

Thanks, I will follow up this lead. Is it easy to adjust preload in-situ ?
For a non remote solution, I'd say it's easy enough.

You can do the ZX9 rear shock swap for less than $100USD using a used '97 Kaw ZX9 shock- the one with the remote nitrogen reservoir on a hose and comp/rebound adjustability and a pair of used adjustable "dog bones", (drag racers love 'em)- the ZX9 shock is longer and will raise the rear end- the adj. "dog bones" will restore ride height. Setting "sag" properly is essential but easily done.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom