Tiger 800 Quirks and Problems

TripleDigger

Local time
Yesterday, 19:35
It is the side stand for sure, mine does it all the time, especially off-road.

Sea Dog

Local time
Today, 00:35
First Name
Bryce
My Ride
Tiger 800 ABS
Thank you for your assurances that Triumph will solve the issue TUP The reason for posting the links is that the Tiger 800 seems to be the perfect bike for me and I really hope that Triumph get aware of the problem and fix it so that I can buy it: The handling, the touring capability, the features, the stance and the right price. :y16: However, as long as the issue with the side stand persists I simply don't trust it enough to buy it, always worrying about crashing. My legs are to short for the XC and the bike will mainly be used on twisty tarmac (the western part of Norway is crammed with fantastic, though poorly maintained, roads). I sincerely hope they fix the problem soon so can I avoid a Versys, V-Strom or Bimmer... And please excuse my limited knowledge of the English language :y16:

Hi cdp2a,

Check out the 800 Tiger thread where I have posted some photos of my fix to the side stand issue. I am now able to lean the bike to the edges of the tyres with out the side stand dragging.

Am taking the 800 to a track day tomorrow and will post a report on how she goes. :y54:

cdp2a

Local time
Today, 01:35
Hi Sea Dog,

:y45: Thank you for making me aware of your solution.

Sea Dog

Local time
First Name
Bryce
My Ride
Tiger 800 ABS
How did the track day go?

Hi Carl,

Been a tad busy since the track day. Great day, excellent weather, new track about 100 kms north of where I live.
The track is very tight with 10 turns. Max speed on the straight was 130 kms / hr, just a little fast for second gear but good for third. Remainder of track is second gear.

Bike went really well. The torque made it fast out of the corners, however bike simply too big for track. Used the tyres right to the edge (no chicken strips), wore a lot of steel off the foot pegs and never scraped the side stand once. The modification worked. :y2:

Standard tyres were a little slippery on the edge with a few power slides resulting. Bike very predictable in these situations.

Pulled the front forks 5mm up through the triple clamps and wound the rear shock up to hard. As a result the bike steered very well and surprised a lot of 600 sports bikes. Just shows how utterly versatile the 800 is.

Had a great day, loads of fun with like minded motorcyclists.

I had the only dual sport on the track and the bike impressed many.

Fastest bikes on the track were the 650 Motards running slicks with the Australian Champion leading the pack.

Perfect track for smaller bikes and go carts.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Outstanding! Thanks for the report. I am glad you had a good day. These bikes are truly versatile, all around bikes. TUP

avion

Android Guru
Local time
Today, 02:35
First Name
Gareth / G
My Ride
Tiger 800 2011
Ain't that the truth.

Love upsetting superbike riders in the twisties. Bwahahahaha.

blacktiger

Local time
My Ride
Tiger800XC
To reignite this thread. Another quirk that came to light, mainly on the XC because it gets dropped on dirt more often than other models, is that the tilt switch sometimes doesn't instantly reset. So the bike won't start after picking her up. What it needs is the ignition turned off and on again, maybe a couple of times. It should then start OK.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Thanks for including this. I had that experience first hand myself.

Swanee

Riding for 11 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 18:35
My Ride
Tiger 800XC
Hi all!

Relative NOOB here with my Tiger 800XC. Had her since early May and have been beating her up since acquiring her. ;)

I did some off-road "training" a week ago, and I feel like the bike hasn't run the same since. I dropped the poor thing a few times in mud and gravel, once rather hard - twisted the handlebars a bit (so I am reaching slightly more on the left side than the right. Really annoying).

Anyhow, now, the throttle response seems more... I dunno, twitchy. Jerky. Not as smooth, especially in 1st gear. I haven't yet experienced the stalling issue mentioned above by other riders, but am wondering if this is somehow related? Or is it just me (entirely possible, but I didn't notice it before!)? :y2:

Will be taking her in for her 6000 mile service probably later this season. But until then... any thoughts?

TIA!

Swanee

avion

Android Guru
Local time
Today, 02:35
First Name
Gareth / G
My Ride
Tiger 800 2011
Bent bars are very irritating but you'll forget about them after the while. Check that the throttle slams shut if you let it go. Bike off! lol Might be some gunk in the twist grip?

Have you adjusted the chain at all? Slack chains can make the bike feel snatchy in low gears.

hth

from Tapatalk 4.0b

Swanee

Riding for 11 Years
Local time
My Ride
Tiger 800XC
Good point about the chain! Will check. The bars aren't bent, just... twisted slightly. I have already gotten used to them, but a friend w/ a Tiger said we can fix them... "WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!" meaning, he hopefully knows what he's doing. LOL!

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Don't feel bad bad; I have dropped my XC four times - twice in sand, once on gravel and once on rocks. I do suggest you get the hansle bars straightened and check out the throttle assembly.

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 52 Years
Local time
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
Twisted (tweaked/misaligned) bars on a dirt bike are easy to fix, sometimes they just need an off road handlebar/tire alignment. Stand bike up straight with the front wheel pointed straight ahead, stradle the front wheel and grip with your knees, twist bars back to straight. Check that everything is good and tight.

WillWatts

Local time
First Name
RideOn
My Ride
2016 Tiger 800 XR
Had this happen to me today

Paula

Riding for 28 Years
Local time
First Name
Paula
My Ride
800xc
Has anyone got experience of an odd plastic rattle sound coming from front end radiator area? I'm wondering if it normal given the multitude of plastic around the tank and rad......

Qship

Riding for 41 Years
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 20:35
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
Just check all fasteners and screws holding stuff on is all I can suggest. Someting may have rattled loose or was not tightened properly during assembly. Let us know if you find something not right.

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 52 Years
Local time
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
I haven't experienced a rattle like you described but then again I'm half deaf and ride with ear plugs or plugs wired for music.

Paula

Riding for 28 Years
Local time
First Name
Paula
My Ride
800xc
Just check all fasteners and screws holding stuff on is all I can suggest. Someting may have rattled loose or was not tightened properly during assembly. Let us know if you find something not right.
will do....probably just me getting used to the purr ;)

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom