Staff
Local time
Today, 14:09
First Name
Carl
My Ride
2020 Bonneville T120 Black
Riding Since
The purpose of this thread will be to discuss any quirks and problems one may encounter with the Tiger 800 or Tiger 800 XC. It is a new model and in its 1st/2nd production year. As with any new model, there will be be bugs that ned to be ironed out.

As I understand it, all bikes produced after sometime in April are 2012 models. Bikes produced prior to this are 2011 models. The cut off is not actually date; it is a VIN number. Most of the 2011 bikes went to fill pre-orders. Those arriving in the dealerships' show rooms starting in May are 2012 models.

Please post any banter of the subject in this thread Banter on the Tiger 800 Quirks and problems

Last edited:
A problem I am reading about is a stalling problem. This problem seems to occur in hot weather - mid 90's F (34 C) and above. You are sitting at a traffic light and the RPM's begin to drop and bike stalls. It may or may not restart immediately. If you don't keep the throttle opened up, it will die again.

I have not experienced this problem and I ride in mid and upper 90 F temps and in heavy stop and go traffic. The following solutions have worked for some; but for others, the problem returned.

1. the 12 minute tune - https://www.triumphtalk.com/showthread.php/12884-The-12-Minute-Tune

2. A new map

I read that that it is a tune problem and that Triumph is working on it. I have not been able to verify this. It seems that this problem does not affect the majority of the 800's.

Some riders reported a mid range bogging down - loss of power - while accelerating. The 12 minute tune seems to cure this and, in a few cases, an updated map fixed the problem.

By the way, some stalling problems may possibly be cured by trying the TORs map for the bike. In fact, with the Tbird the TORs map not only fixed many owners with hot starting issues where they would stall when started with a hot engine, but they made the bikes run better ! And i'm not just talking about bikes with TORs, but even those that are totally stock. the TORs tunes i think generally aren't just customized for TORs, but just a better tune that they reserve for aftermarket pipes because they are optomised to perform instead of optomised to best meet emissions. And with tuneecu you can easily try that map and if you don't like it just load the stock map back. just a thought for those who may want to experiment to either fix and issue or make the bike run better.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, some stalling problems may possibly be cured by trying the TORs map for the bike. In fact, with the Tbird the TORs map not only fixed many owners with hot starting issues where they would stall when started with a hot engine, but they made the bikes run better ! And i'm not just talking about bikes with TORs, but even those that are totally stock. the TORs tunes i think generally aren't just customized for TORs, but just a better tune that they reserve for aftermarket pipes because they are optomised to perform instead of optomised to best meet emissions. And with tuneecu you can easily try that map and if you don't like it just load the stock map back. just a thought for those who may want to experiment to either fix and issue or make the bike run better.

That has been the case also with some 800's. Some dealers have fixed the problem by installing the Arrow map even if the bike has the stock exhaust. Also there is an updated Arrow map out that has fixed the problem for some that have the Arrow exhaust. I have not had a problem with mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
A rider riding the standard 800 in Europe crashed it. He feels the sidestand was the cause along with other contributing factors - the slope of the hill and compression of the suspension. It appears to be a unique set of circumstances caused by riding at the limit.

Remember my story last week about crashing in my Astars suit? That was on the Triumph Tiger 800. Rounding a relatively straight forward uphill, banked bend in 2nd gear, I felt something drag hard as I tightened my line just before the apex while trail braking. Just as that happened, the front end washed out, lowsiding me and the Tiger.

What drug was the sidestand and sidestand mount. Parts that aren’t designed to fold when they drag, like the pegs are. That means that when they do touch down, they take some of the bike’s weight, in this case that was enough to leverage the front tire off the road.

This isn’t just my ego talking either. Evidence can be seen in the heavy wear on the sidestand and sidestand mount that’s runs parallel to the bike’s normal direction of travel and wear on the plastics, left handlebar and engine case that run 90 degrees to that.

I’d started the day on the XC, keeping up with an 1198 S mounted friend and Sean on his favorite bike ever, the Moto Guzzi Norge, as we rode past Azusa to Crystal Lake. From there, I swapped to the 800 and, heading back down the mountain, I immediately started dragging its pegs.

These action shots were taken in a location that Sean chose for its isolation and nice background. There’s barely a corner there, hence the lack of lean. I was further off the side of the bike at the time of the accident than these pictures indicate, so I was removing as much lean from it as possible in an effort to keep the pegs off the ground.

It should be noted that the uphill inclination of the corner and its slight banking likely contributed some extra suspension compression that reduced ground clearance further and led to the stand touching down, but it did so with about 1cm of unworn tire left to go. Again, that wasn’t the case on the XC, who’s tires were worn to the edge front and rear and never even came close to dragging peg, let alone stand.

angles.jpg

This photo demonstrates that lack of ground clearance. You can clearly see the sidestand and its mount hanging out in the wind under the peg. But, there’s two problems with this photo that means it fails to fully illustrate reality. One: I’m on the throttle, topping out the forks. Trail braking, I’d expect the front end to be about three inches lower. Two: the angle obviously isn’t totally front-on, this is simply the most illustrative photo we had after the fact. Still, you can see that there’s relatively little angle between peg touch and stand touch, which means there’s very little angle between hauling ass and landing on your ass. The fact that the stand drug even while the tire wasn’t fully to its edge probably remains the best indicator of the limitation.

It’s possibly worth noting that the sidestands have been photoshopped out of every stock studio photo of the Tiger Triumph provides to the press.

clearance.jpg
The XC (orange) has noticeably more clearance than the 800 (blue).

Having said all that, this issue is unlikely to affect most Tiger riders. I ride faster and lean further than most riders on sportsbikes, much less 800cc all rounder/adventure tourers. Riders looking for big lean angles and high corner speeds have other bikes to choose from in the Triumph catalog, most notably the 675cc Street Triple and Street Triple R, whose capabilities as motorcycles far exceeds my capability as a rider. It should also be noted that the taller XC has no issue with ground clearance. So, if you want a bike that does everything and tours, the Triumph Tiger 800 will serve you flawlessly. If you want a bike that does everything and rails corners like a sportsbike, the cheaper Triumph Street Triple would be the better choice.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16456091&postcount=7386

I just read on another forum that a dealership changed out the throttle bodies to resolve the stalling problem. That is is interesting since the problem seems to be ECU related.

More on the stalling problem.

There are two lady riders touring Alaska on Tiber 800 XC's. The bikes were supplied to them for testing, You can follow their adventures through their blog here: http://advgrrls.wordpress.com/

Both of their rides have expereinced the stalling or engine cutting out issue. Here is the fix that seems to be working for them.
OK, now for the paperwork and what it says about our problem and what the shop did to fix the bikes stalling problems. The advise they got was from the Triumph USA tech guy back in Georgia, USA.
[JOB: Stalling, Suspect Air Filter

Resolution:
Replaced Air Filter
Thoroughly Cleaned Throttle bodies
Balanced + Synchronization Throttle bodies
Exchanged Computer Data with Triumph North America, Made Adjustments Accordingly
Performed 15 min Idle Calibration, Test Rode Thoroughly

Result:
No Stalling or Running Issues]

Both bikes had exactly the same service done. My bike needed to go briefly back to the shop after I rode it for about 10 miles and it stalled. I noticed the idle may have been set too low and sure enough the shop hooked my bike up to the computer to readjust the idle. Apparently the computer needs to read other settings on the bike to make the adjustment. This is not something we can do on the road. Once this was complete my bike did not stall once doing the same route to our new friends house.

Cheryl says her bike feels like it did when we first started out on this trip, GREAT!

I am still being conservative and will wait to make my assessment after we ride down to Homer tomorrow, Sunday.

So, there it is for now. Problem seems to be solved. Not sure if this is what all Tigers need to have done but we believe this might be an issue for Triumph to come up with a fix to prevent something like this happening again. We might be wrong but the shop did say this was not a rider related problem.

Triumph is definitely working on the stalling problem. Here is a solution that worked for one ride. Hats of to his dealer's shop.

Got my XC back from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the stepper motor and the actuator. The technician did a custom map and sent the numbers to Triumph. I understand that Triumph is fully aware of this problem and they plan to take care of anyone dealing with this situation. Standby for another official Triumph map very soon.

My bike is riding perfectly right now. No more stalling. No weird throttle problems. Planning on putting some serious miles on this week.
Sounds like good news.

1. Was your stepper motor defective or is there a new and improved one available?

2. Was the custom map done by your local guy or a Triumph official map?

3. "Standby for another official Triumph map very soon." Speculation from your local guy based on what he did or is that word from Triumph?

Still patiently waiting on the sidelines.

Thanks
1. Stepper motor was defective. They said it wasn't engaging when it was supposed to.

2. My local guy put together the custom map.

3. They said Triumph is working on another map that will be released in the near future.

I took the bike out yesterday in 95F humid weather. The traffic was very stop n go before I got to hit some high speeds. The XC got a good range of riding conditions and didn't seemed to be affected like it used to, knock on wood. I'm really hoping that my problem has be corrected and I am done dealing with this issue.

Clanking Noise

I've got the road version and I seem to get a pretty good clunk noise when I hit sharp bumps in the road. I can't seem to find anything loose anywhere. I don't think it's the chain slapping off the swingarm but I'm not sure. Anyone else have this noise?
Solution

I have the same noise when going over "larger" bumps with my XC. But I do not have a center stand mounted. I am thinking it might be caused from the side stand. When I hit the bump it swings down a bit and when it goes up again it hits the mechanical stop making the noise?

It IS the side stand... It bangs onto the metal frame of the bike... My solution : I stuck a piece of rubber (piece of tube) on the side stand at the exact place where it contacts the bike's frame

A rider riding the standard 800 in Europe crashed it. He feels the sidestand was the cause along with other contributing factors - the slope of the hill and compression of the suspension. It appears to be a unique set of circumstances caused by riding at the limit.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16456091&postcount=7386

- Bikepoint.au has also scraped the side stand on the Tiger 800, they didn’t crash though: http://www.bikepoint.com.au/reviews/2011/adventure-tourers/triumph/triumph-tiger-800-24964
- Europe’s largest motorcycle magazine Motorrad http://www.motorradonline.de/ (distributed in several European countries) also had problems with the scraping side stand. They consider it a flaw that they take for granted will be corrected.

Welcome to the forum!

I had heard about these reports; but I had not read them. This only applies to the Tiger 800 road version. There have been no similar incidents with the XC. And I am sure Triumph will correct it. Thanks for the links. TUP

Welcome to the forum!

I had heard about these reports; but I had not read them. This only applies to the Tiger 800 road version. There have been no similar incidents with the XC. And I am sure Triumph will correct it. Thanks for the links. TUP

Thank you for your assurances that Triumph will solve the issue TUP The reason for posting the links is that the Tiger 800 seems to be the perfect bike for me and I really hope that Triumph get aware of the problem and fix it so that I can buy it: The handling, the touring capability, the features, the stance and the right price. :y16: However, as long as the issue with the side stand persists I simply don't trust it enough to buy it, always worrying about crashing. My legs are to short for the XC and the bike will mainly be used on twisty tarmac (the western part of Norway is crammed with fantastic, though poorly maintained, roads). I sincerely hope they fix the problem soon so can I avoid a Versys, V-Strom or Bimmer... And please excuse my limited knowledge of the English language :y16:

Thank you for your assurances that Triumph will solve the issue TUP The reason for posting the links is that the Tiger 800 seems to be the perfect bike for me and I really hope that Triumph get aware of the problem and fix it so that I can buy it: The handling, the touring capability, the features, the stance and the right price. :y16: However, as long as the issue with the side stand persists I simply don't trust it enough to buy it, always worrying about crashing. My legs are to short for the XC and the bike will mainly be used on twisty tarmac (the western part of Norway is crammed with fantastic, though poorly maintained, roads). I sincerely hope they fix the problem soon so can I avoid a Versys, V-Strom or Bimmer... And please excuse my limited knowledge of the English language :y16:

Your English is just fine!

Remember, that in each of these instances in the links, the bikes were being ridden to their very limits. In the first link, where the rider crashed, he admitted being at the limit and with a unique set of circumstances. In the other link, the riders simply scraped the stand. This is an unlikely occruance to the average rider. A skilled rider, such as the riders testing it for the magazine may encounter it. However, in all of the other tests by other magazines, no one reported dragging the stand. There are a lot of buyers riding the roadies hard in the twisties and I have not read of any reports other than those you linked to.

What I am trying to say is, since this is not widespread and only occurs at the very limits of the bike, it would not deter me from buying one. I think you would be perfectly safe. When Triumph does change the stand, you can get the replacement. Go to the dealer and ask the salesman to help you lean the bike over to the point where the stand touches and you will see what I mean.

There seems to be a fix for the stalling/cutting out problem on the horizon. Various dealers are saying that Triumph will release an ECU firmware upgrade, not a new map. It appears that the stepper motor is receiving the wrong inputs from the ECU. Why it does not affect all 800's I do not know. I will post as soon as this firmware upgrade is available at the dealerships.

Hiya

I noticed a strange noise coming from the rear wheel of my Tiger 800.
I could hear it only pushing the bike either forward or backwards without the motor running.
It sounding like a rear brake pad was very loose or the disc itself was 'jingling' as it passed through the caliper.

After lifting the bike up on my homemade paddock stand I realised that the noise was coming from the mag rim (800 road ver' only). Initially I had visions of the valve locking nut loose and rolling around inside the rim.:y14:

A while later I located the noise at the hub on the rim...

2011-08-20_19-23-10_492.jpg

Spinning the wheel and using a torch I could see 'something' rolling around in the hub.

First off I tried a magnetic screwdriver but found out that the 'something' has no iron in it.

Next up the screwdriver with some duct tape...

2011-08-20_19-24-27_122.jpg

Couple of minutes later I had the 'something' out of the hub.

It appears to be a bit of slag leftover from casting the rim...

2011-08-20_19-23-22_576.jpg

2011-08-20_19-23-30_989.jpg

Anyways, sorted now. Nice 'n quiet again.

Nice one what would we do without duct tape

Good detective work! TUP

It appears that the stepper motor is receiving the wrong inputs from the ECU

I just had a stepper motor issue on my Tbird, tho not sure if theres a firmware issue or not. Somehow it got out of adjustment, and it happened right when i stopped using that custom map and went back to the regular triumph 1700/TORS map i was using before. Not sure why. In any case, heres where tuneECU came in handy and kept me from having to bring it in and have the dealer charge me god knows what and probably keep if for days. The issue was i would start it when it had been sitting overnight and it would start immediately as it always has, but it would not idel. It would die in a few seconds and i had to give it throttle to keep it alive.

In tuneecu theres a adjustment called ISCV, and what it does is adjust the stepper motor and the TPS, (throttle position sensor) then resets adaptions. By the way, reset adaptions returns them to base settings, it does not adjust them to the optimal settings. That happens either via riding over maybe 100 miles or so, or doing the 12 Minute tune. Anyways, heres how the stepper motor works. It is nothing more than a mechanical arm that sits against the throttle linkage and therby can adjust the idle by how far it pushes it. Obviously we're talking tiny increments of maybe at most a 1/8". (just a guess) The amount that it pushes the linkage or pulls back in and lets it drop the idle is determined by certain things the ECU and it's sensors determine. I know engine temp is one factor, and it well may be the only one tho i don't know. But in the map there is a page that will show you the target idle speeds and the colder the engine is the higher the target idle speed. The adjustment of the stepper motor is done by hand by turning a nut on the arm, and tuneecu is used to show you the voltage readout so you know when you've got it right. You turn the nut till the voltage in tuneecu shows .75volt for my bike. Whether that figure is the same for all triumphs i don't know. But when you do the adjustment it guides you thru it and tells you what your target voltage is your bike requires. It's quite simple.

TuneECU is a god send, and i would urge anyone who uses it to donate at tuneecu.com. i was VERY happy to do that and may do it a second time because lets face it, the other option is the $500 tuneboy ! At $0 tuneecu is a bargain to beat all bargains ! it has saved my butt a few times. You can even get support at the rat forum and one of the guys is on the tuneecu team. Tuneboy charges $500 for thier app and they guy doesn't even answer emails a lot of the time, even from those who paid for it !

Good post and great explanation. TUP

SidecarSallysmall.jpg

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom