Tiger Shifter Fixed

brooke

Local time
Today, 03:07
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
16 thruxton r. 2011 tiger 800
Finally got the 2011 Tiger shifting like it should have when new. It always moved up the gears fine but down shifts were an issue right from the get go even after the detent spring recall was completed. Almost 59 k km and suddenly almost will not down shift at all. Disassembly inspection found the shift shaft assembly bent so that the return spring pin was was 10 or 20 degrees from perpendicular causing lots of force applied to up shifts but little to down shifts. Straightened out the pin, installed actuator wing and gear , comes as a kit, and reassembled. Two things you can do to help avoid this situation ,maybe. Weld the foot shifter lever to the bottom heim joint. The top should be done also but they are different metals. Check the plastic cover that keeps your left ankle from hurting the bike when you fall down. Is the shift lever striking it on upshifts ? If it is even coming close remove a few mils of plastic for good measure .Perhaps the newer tigers have tightened things up a bit in this area, my Thruxton has the same basic system although the heim rod is much shorter, and it’s shifts like CR 125. If you sort out how to snug up the the top heim joint connection please advise..... Brooke

Attachments

• 1F274662-0A19-4090-A044-BBCDC8E2B4B7.jpeg
    1F274662-0A19-4090-A044-BBCDC8E2B4B7.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 5
Did they change this design in the newer models as it does seem like a bit of a bummer having to struggle like this.

Will be in Moncton for hockey soon , so will check it out at Motoplex ( where according to my neighbor the attitudes have changed under new management).

Great to hear that the attitude has improved as it always sucks if you must deal with a bad one at a dealer.

Will be in Moncton for hockey soon , so will check it out at Motoplex ( where according to my neighbor the attitudes have changed under new management).
We were hearing things about Motoplex that weren't very complimentary.

I am not impressed with the new place, probably due to new management and that they have so many brands under one roof. Indian, Triumph, Ducati, Yamaha, Polaris, BMW, Suzuki. And the many things that each manufacture; boats, bikes, side by side ATVs, ATVs, snowblowers............
Was looking at either the new Tiger 1200 or Bonneville T120(I know totally different bikes, but didn't know which type of bike I wanted to switch to), but they basically wanted me to commit to a sale before I could try one out.
Their pricing does not align with Triumph Canada, and when questioned on this they hummed and hawed about having "extra" equipment on their bikes, which were bone stock as far as I could tell.
Am heading down there tomorrow to pick up a new oil filter and probably look around. Will see how that goes........

With interest rates going up , just keep pounding on them and you’ll get a deal in January. If not go elsewhere and take it to them for service till out of warranty.This situation will straighten itself out and I am a fan of smaller shops too , but their will be a lot of half tons driving interprovincially before things change.

They are shooting themselves in the foot if they don't smarten up. Word travels fast.

There is a friendly dealership in Sherbrooke PQ. Sells Yamaha and I think Ducati too.

Previous pix was Tigger in a ten minute hail storm ,middle of August. This one is the parts that come with the kit .only the butterfly wing had any wear but evidently they are a pair so parted with some of the retirement fund.

Attachments

• A46E8F7B-B28A-4A01-B02D-0153A4A61BBD.jpeg
    A46E8F7B-B28A-4A01-B02D-0153A4A61BBD.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 5
Congrats on getting it sorted.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom