Touring With A Thruxton R

BMac60

Local time
Today, 19:15
First Name
Brian
My Ride
Thruxton 1200 R
Living in Australia, the wide open spaces are always beckoning. My previous ride, a Multistrada 1200 S Touring was well- suited to covering big distances across various types of roads and terrains.
Changing to the Thruxton 1200 R was a “heart over head” decision and a bit of a risk.
However, I have just completed a 5 day, 2500+ km trip and am pleased to say, it held up well up to this kind of ride, with the proviso being The addition of a few key accessories.
They include- the raised height clip-ons (not the ones that come with the fairing option) - factory heated grips - cruise control - 17 tooth countershaft sprocket for easier cruising- Triumph leather panniers and tank bag. NB. The plastic waterproof covers for the panniers collect water and need drain holes.
My riding companion was my son, a motor journalist who was writing a story on the Ducati Multistrada 1260 Grand Tour. When the roads were twisty / mountainous he would ask to swap bikes and I had trouble getting my Triumph back, at least until the weather deteriorate.
As usual, it was the Thruxton that attracted the bulk of the attention from other bikers and others folks, when we stopped.

After riding one day with a couple of hours cold rain and high wind, I had a stiff sore neck, but otherwise the riding position was fine for my 60 yrs and 178cm frame.

i plan to add a radiator guard and an engine guard protector. and I need to sort out weatherproofing the panniers though I am loathe to change to the modern style black plastic Triumph ones if I can avoid it.

i would be interested to hear about other Thruxton riders‘ touring experiences.
regards,
Bmac60

Attachments

• 4AA90160-3113-41CE-9B22-5817C0243D29.jpeg
    4AA90160-3113-41CE-9B22-5817C0243D29.jpeg
    451.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 665704B1-4D95-43D7-9285-9862D5ECB52C.jpeg
    665704B1-4D95-43D7-9285-9862D5ECB52C.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 19AD0719-8B0E-4566-9063-989523E698D2.jpeg
    19AD0719-8B0E-4566-9063-989523E698D2.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 56
  • 28782C9A-647B-4986-8184-0E9644D8B6E9.jpeg
    28782C9A-647B-4986-8184-0E9644D8B6E9.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DAB0687D-32F7-4ECC-9C7A-EFAEF53C1DEF.jpeg
    DAB0687D-32F7-4ECC-9C7A-EFAEF53C1DEF.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 1797CBD7-F973-4F13-9D27-D8CBB695E900.jpeg
    1797CBD7-F973-4F13-9D27-D8CBB695E900.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
A great ride report. TUP TUP

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photos. I have a 17 TTR in silver (love that silver!). But after one flat and $$$ tow 100 miles from home, I bought a tiger for the long trips. I'll be buried w that TTR!

Great photos bmac didn’t think you had snow down there . You’ve got to be tough to do a full day with what looks like the stock seat on the TTR . Love the matching fairing . I have done almost 700 km days a couple of times , once before I installed the Triumph comfort seat , which is guide an improvement . The comfort seat and the ABM bar set up make a big difference but still need tigger for longer adventures.

Attachments

• 532671F2-0FB5-4A08-A900-951F3EAF1036.jpeg
    532671F2-0FB5-4A08-A900-951F3EAF1036.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 17
  • D5216E5E-FDE9-4C35-9C3B-ECB98D09A4E2.jpeg
    D5216E5E-FDE9-4C35-9C3B-ECB98D09A4E2.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 21
Great photos bmac didn’t think you had snow down there . You’ve got to be tough to do a full day with what looks like the stock seat on the TTR . Love the matching fairing . I have done almost 700 km days a couple of times , once before I installed the Triumph comfort seat , which is guide an improvement . The comfort seat and the ABM bar set up make a big difference but still need tigger for longer adventures.
I must investigate this comfort seat of which you speak. Oz doesn’t have Canada snow but has more winter snow area than Switzerland.

Great report, beautiful pictures!

Hi from new Zealand. Read you comments on touring,I went right around oz few years ago but on a vstrom a great ride.I have done touring over here, added screen, how did you do the cruise control?

Attachments

• Triumph Dennison.2.jpg
    Triumph Dennison.2.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 9
I don’t have cruise on either bike and never seem to find it necessary even on USA trips where we inevitably have to travel some real Hiway miles ??

Living in Australia, the wide open spaces are always beckoning. My previous ride, a Multistrada 1200 S Touring was well- suited to covering big distances across various types of roads and terrains.
Changing to the Thruxton 1200 R was a “heart over head” decision and a bit of a risk.
However, I have just completed a 5 day, 2500+ km trip and am pleased to say, it held up well up to this kind of ride, with the proviso being The addition of a few key accessories.
They include- the raised height clip-ons (not the ones that come with the fairing option) - factory heated grips - cruise control - 17 tooth countershaft sprocket for easier cruising- Triumph leather panniers and tank bag. NB. The plastic waterproof covers for the panniers collect water and need drain holes.
My riding companion was my son, a motor journalist who was writing a story on the Ducati Multistrada 1260 Grand Tour. When the roads were twisty / mountainous he would ask to swap bikes and I had trouble getting my Triumph back, at least until the weather deteriorate.
As usual, it was the Thruxton that attracted the bulk of the attention from other bikers and others folks, when we stopped.

After riding one day with a couple of hours cold rain and high wind, I had a stiff sore neck, but otherwise the riding position was fine for my 60 yrs and 178cm frame.

i plan to add a radiator guard and an engine guard protector. and I need to sort out weatherproofing the panniers though I am loathe to change to the modern style black plastic Triumph ones if I can avoid it.

i would be interested to hear about other Thruxton riders‘ touring experiences.
regards,
Bmac60
What have you been using for touring tires ? I have tried Michelin Road 5 , very good , and just spooned on a Dunlop Road Smart , I think , will be a few months before a test report ...

Hi from new Zealand. Read you comments on touring,I went right around oz few years ago but on a vstrom a great ride.I have done touring over here, added screen, how did you do the cruise control?
Hi mate,
I’m sorry to be a bit slow getting back to you, but I was away on a road trip.
The cruise control unit on my bike is by McCruise.
Motorcycle Cruise Controls, UTV Cruise Controls & UTV Speed Limiters.
$769 AUD for the model specific unit.
it was fitted when I bought my bike from the original owner.
It works really well. It is back lit, easy to use and even slows slightly as you corner and resumes as you straighten up.
I had it glitch when I fitted an aftermarket tail tidy with a different brake light which upset the system. The support guy was a great help talking me through the fix and reset, as I did it.
Here in OZ we have mobile roadside speed cameras that now have no warning signs and what will soon be unmarked vehicles.
I also find CC great for changing posture and stretching on long rides as well.
I hope that this helps.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:
What have you been using for touring tires ? I have tried Michelin Road 5 , very good , and just spooned on a Dunlop Road Smart , I think , will be a few months before a test report ...
Brooke,
I currently have the Pirelli Diablo Rosso III. I have just fitted an OUTEX tubeless kit, for ease of puncture repairs, so I will have more options at my next Tyre change.
Brian

Last edited:
Brian :
How many miles do you expect from the Diablos?
Brooke

Hi mate,
I’m sorry to be a bit slow getting back to you, but I was away on a road trip.
The cruise control unit on my bike is by McCruise.
Motorcycle Cruise Controls, UTV Cruise Controls & UTV Speed Limiters.
$769 AUD for the model specific unit.
it was fitted when I bought my bike from the original owner.
It works really well. It is back lit, easy to use and even slows slightly as you corner and resumes as you straighten up.
I had it glitch when I fitted an aftermarket tail tidy with a different brake light which upset the system. The support guy was a great help talking me through the fix and reset, as I did it.
Here in OZ we have mobile roadside speed cameras that now have no warning signs and what will soon be unmarked vehicles.
I also find CC great for changing posture and stretching on long rides as well.
I hope that this helps.
Regards,
Brian
HI Brian, thanks for the info, I also have a bmw r1200rs which cruise control as standard hence why i like it.Did you fit yourself or someone do it?

HI Brian, thanks for the info, I also have a bmw r1200rs which cruise control as standard hence why i like it.Did you fit yourself or someone do it?
Anzac,
No it was fitted when I bought the bike. As I mentioned, i found the support from McCruise first-rate when I had an issue, so I would be confident that you could do it yourself with the kind on hands-on back-up that I experienced.
Brian

Brian :
How many miles do you expect from the Diablos?
Brooke
I have a 2016 Thruxton R, I did a couple of long trips as well and just replaced my rear with 5K miles. I could have pushed it to 5500 but I didn’t want to see wire on a random joyride.

I was able to get another Diablo Rosso Corsa but since those are not manufactured anymore, I am not sure what I’ll go with next

I’m now on the Dunlops , road smart 3 I think , before them I gave the Michelin road 5 a whirl , good for 11,000 km . The Dunlop looks like it will do the same mileage and I like it’s features . The road 5 was very nice also but seem to be giving the Dunlop’s a chance after having lots of the French units . Just put Dunlop Missions on the tiger for the Labrador trip and am very impressed . Trying to give my American cousins some work by purchasing in North America and hoping they will return the favour .

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom