Traction control modes and what they do?

lhedrick

Local time
Yesterday, 21:40
First Name
Larry
My Ride
KLR 650
I have had lots of bikes in my life but never one with traction control.

So ,they have different modes, rain, dirt etc etc.

If we remove breaking from the issue, what can a computer sensor pick up? Rotation differential between front and rear wheels indicating slippage. That’s about it. What can it do about the condition? The only thing I can think of is vary the duration of the fuel injector or with a fly by wire throttle over ride the the input, close the air intake, lower manifold pressure so the fuel injector duration is cut to lower power and cut rear wheel slippage.

So I ride al over the place in good weather never using rain mode. I go on a trip and get caught in a storm. I have never tested rain mode, who is really going to go out in the rain to check it out, not me. So I put the thing in rain mode. Just what is it going to do? Does it change the way the throttle input feels. The tiger I tested, had a very sensitive throttle compared to my current bike. A small twist and it powered up quickly a bit too quick for my taste. On a wet road in a corner it could send a bit too much to the rear wheel. Does it change the feel of the throttle to prevent me from powering up on a wet road. All the reviews I keep reading just say how great the stuff is but that doesn’t help. I want to understand what it does. I don’t really want to buy the bike and then spend a month on trial and error. Is there a description out there which covers any of this technical stuff. I have to say almost all the bike reviews I read are all fluff. Make a pretty bike that sounds cool and that will be all anyone wants to talk about. All people seem to care about is looks, power and sound, never serviceability or function.

Generally, the traction control system prevents the motorcycle from drifting. It achieves this by controlling the power delivered to the rear wheel. Thus, it simply controls the rotational speed of the rear wheel. This drastically reduces the chances of drifting. There are two categories of traction control in motorcycles.
For more click on the link below.

Should be pretty detailed in the owner's manual what each mode does. Mine is.

Well, you don't get and owners manual until after you buy one. I want to know how things work before that.

"Generally, the traction control system prevents the motorcycle from drifting. It achieves this by controlling the power delivered to the rear wheel. Thus, it simply controls the rotational speed of the rear wheel. This drastically reduces the chances of drifting. There are two categories of traction control in motorcycles."

What do you mean by drift? How would it detect drift. I can see it detecting a difference between rotational speed between front and rear. Is this what you are referring to as drift? Are you saying that when the rear wheel brakes traction and starts to spin faster then the front, it will cut power. The only why I can understand power being cut is to shut down fuel flow or shutdown manifold pressure. Either way, you can't create power with out fuel, O2 or both.

Would they let you look one over before you buy?
Not sure about the 800 Tiger but mine has yaw sensors for the cornering ABS.
Off road mode disables rear ABS and allows some rear wheel spin for loose surfaces.
Can shut off traction control in Off Road pro mode on the higher trim levels.
Rain mode lowers HP(mine is reduced to 100 HP l believe, from 137) and may soften throttle control. I haven't tried it yet.

Should be pretty detailed in the owner's manual what each mode does. Mine is.

Just bought a Tiger 900, and it says absolutely NOTHING abount what the ‘rider’ modes do. It just tells you how to select them.

Does it change throttle response (as my car does)? ABS and TC (one would hope so)?

RE

Just bought a Tiger 900, and it says absolutely NOTHING abount what the ‘rider’ modes do. It just tells you how to select them.

Does it change throttle response (as my car does)? ABS and TC (one would hope so)?

RE
Yes they do change the throttle maps and actually detunes my bike down to about 100 hp in the rain node. Not sure how much it detunes the 900s.
Off road mode should disable rear ABS and traction control.
Rider selectable can be tuned the way you like, ie, no ABS, throttle in rain mode, etc. However you like to ride your bike.
Sport mode will sharpen throttle response, less interference of traction control, and may change ABS settings as these bikes have lean sensitive ABS.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom