Trailering

Bubblehead

Riding for 14 Years
Local time
Today, 07:10
First Name
Karl
My Ride
BMW R1200RT, Triumph Tiger 800 XRX (Low)
What is the best way to tie down a Tiger 800 for trailering? I have HEED crash bars; are they strong enough to tie to?

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 3 Years
Local time
Today, 04:10
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
If the crash bars are installed properly I can't see why they couldn't be tie down points. Otherwise, any hard point on the frame will do as well.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I use straps on the handlebars to tie down my bikes. I compress the forks about half way, The reduces the bounce on rough roads. If I stop for the night, I loosen the tie downs then re-tighten in the morning. The crash bars are certainly strong enough; but tying to them does not reduce the bounce.

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 51 Years
Local time
Today, 06:10
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
I strap to the bars and crank them down fully compressing the front suspension. I will also run a strap across the low spot on the rear wheel to keep it from bouncing the rear of the bike.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
I strap to the bars and crank them down fully compressing the front suspension. I will also run a strap across the low spot on the rear wheel to keep it from bouncing the rear of the bike.
Does it make a difference if the handle bars are clip ons?

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
Not if the clip ons can take the stress.
It’s a thought I had since my Thruxton has clip ons. I suppose it would first just release the pressure on the suspension if they failed. It might still remain upright.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
It’s a thought I had since my Thruxton has clip ons. I suppose it would first just release the pressure on the suspension if they failed. It might still remain upright.
If you are worried about that, use a second strap {or two} to the frame as a safety strap. When I am traveling long distances, I do that without clip ons. I have had straps fail. I also check all of my ties downs every time I stop.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
If you are worried about that, use a second strap {or two} to the frame as a safety strap. When I am traveling long distances, I do that without clip ons. I have had straps fail. I also check all of my ties downs every time I stop.
Good advice! Redundancy.

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
I'm unfamiliar with the Thruxton set-up but on others I've seen folks that strap to the lower triple tree instead of the handlebars or upper triple tree.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
I'm unfamiliar with the Thruxton set-up but on others I've seen folks that strap to the lower triple tree instead of the handlebars or upper triple tree.
That makes sense.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom