Trailering

Bubblehead

Local time
Today, 02:46
First Name
Karl
My Ride
BMW R1200RT, Triumph Tiger 800 XRX (Low)
What is the best way to tie down a Tiger 800 for trailering? I have HEED crash bars; are they strong enough to tie to?

If the crash bars are installed properly I can't see why they couldn't be tie down points. Otherwise, any hard point on the frame will do as well.

I use straps on the handlebars to tie down my bikes. I compress the forks about half way, The reduces the bounce on rough roads. If I stop for the night, I loosen the tie downs then re-tighten in the morning. The crash bars are certainly strong enough; but tying to them does not reduce the bounce.

I strap to the bars and crank them down fully compressing the front suspension. I will also run a strap across the low spot on the rear wheel to keep it from bouncing the rear of the bike.

I strap to the bars and crank them down fully compressing the front suspension. I will also run a strap across the low spot on the rear wheel to keep it from bouncing the rear of the bike.
Does it make a difference if the handle bars are clip ons?

Not if the clip ons can take the stress.
It’s a thought I had since my Thruxton has clip ons. I suppose it would first just release the pressure on the suspension if they failed. It might still remain upright.

It’s a thought I had since my Thruxton has clip ons. I suppose it would first just release the pressure on the suspension if they failed. It might still remain upright.
If you are worried about that, use a second strap {or two} to the frame as a safety strap. When I am traveling long distances, I do that without clip ons. I have had straps fail. I also check all of my ties downs every time I stop.

If you are worried about that, use a second strap {or two} to the frame as a safety strap. When I am traveling long distances, I do that without clip ons. I have had straps fail. I also check all of my ties downs every time I stop.
Good advice! Redundancy.

I'm unfamiliar with the Thruxton set-up but on others I've seen folks that strap to the lower triple tree instead of the handlebars or upper triple tree.

I'm unfamiliar with the Thruxton set-up but on others I've seen folks that strap to the lower triple tree instead of the handlebars or upper triple tree.
That makes sense.

Trailer Hacks. Tried to open a new thread but decided adding to this may help more of those guys who are trailering to events and dealerships. I used to be able to get my Triumph TR-6C (1970) into the back of a Datsun (Nissan) pick-up. How I can't remember. For the last 10 years I have been modifying a "Northern" fold up trailer to haul Beta, Bonne, R9T, 900 air cooled, and now a 450# Street Scrambler. Those China trailers are delivered with little to no grease in the bearings. Welded the joints solid, added tie down hooks, and a new set of 5 lug hubs with aluminum wheels and decent tires. Worked for the 150# Beta trials bike but as I got older I decided to add two more ramps which allowed me to 'waddle' up with motor running. (trailer well hitched to tow vehicle) Had good spotters. To make it a solo event I added my BEST invention. An aluminum tube overhead loop that can attach the bike's yoke to the top hoop. Thus using a diver's weight belt (shortened) I can safely get off and hook up all my many tie downs starting with a "Canyon Dancer". The dive belt permits pressure limits that preserve fork seals even when winched snug. I use a lot of side belts and straps, wheel tie downs, and a front wheel tube type holder. Remember, use all manner of care when trailering and getting bike on/off. Spotters are welcome and professional help when welding and securing bike is advised. Don't become a trailering fail!

Attachments

• IMG_2523 (1).jpg
    IMG_2523 (1).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2524 (2).jpg
    IMG_2524 (2).jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2526 (2).jpg
    IMG_2526 (2).jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2525 (2).jpg
    IMG_2525 (2).jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2528 (3).jpg
    IMG_2528 (3).jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2527 (1).jpg
    IMG_2527 (1).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 13
Nice set up. I've never trailered a street bike, just my dirt bikes.

Not the best photo sorry but if you place an empty oil container between the front tyre and the mudguard you don’t have to compress the front forks down as far, but the bike is still secure.01D70D36-B429-4C88-875C-52D89F60BDBF.jpeg

Just realised I’m not on the KLR forum still a handy tip if you are trailering a bike with a high front mudguard, found a better picture as well.
3B765852-FFD2-4F7C-B05C-525CC4C4F243.png

Great idea! A big chunk of the large foam pool noodles even fits the front fender too. Used to tow a WR250.

I use a PitBull Trailer restraint. works great. easy drive into clip and done. No straps.Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 11.07.58 AM.png

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom