Randy

Riding for 38 Years
Local time
Today, 01:33
First Name
Randy
My Ride
2011 Sprint GT
I have a 2011 1050 GT with 65,000 miles. I just started having tranny problems. At first I couldn't get it to neutral. Then I could only shift into 4, 5 and 6 gear. Later in the day I could shift into neutral, but then I could not shift any higher than 3 gear. This all happened on the same road trip. With the bike stationary when I put the bike in 1,2 or 3 the foot shift lever has a lot of play in it.

Any thoughts?

Randy

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I've just done that exact fix recently on my Tiger 800XC. It was a broken pin on the gear change shaft for the main return spring, I think it's a weak point across a lot of the Triumph models.

When this fails though your gear lever will feel really loose and flap about, it'll be really obvious.

You can find videos of this on YouTube. Here is the one I used.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6_-IaJDF70

Randy

Riding for 38 Years
Local time
First Name
Randy
My Ride
2011 Sprint GT
I've just done that exact fix recently on my Tiger 800XC. It was a broken pin on the gear change shaft for the main return spring, I think it's a weak point across a lot of the Triumph models.

When this fails though your gear lever will feel really loose and flap about, it'll be really obvious.

You can find videos of this on YouTube. Here is the one I used.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6_-IaJDF70
Carl,

Thank you very much for the information. I have the maintenance manual for the 1050 engine, there is no trouble shooting charts, and it looks like the engine has to be pulled and case split to get to that part in the transmission. Yikes!

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Carl,

Thank you very much for the information. I have the maintenance manual for the 1050 engine, there is no trouble shooting charts, and it looks like the engine has to be pulled and case split to get to that part in the transmission. Yikes!
You are very welcome. I have zero experience with the 1050 engine. I did not have to pull theengine nor split the cases with the 800 engine. I did have to pull the clutch.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Top Bottom