Travel Recommendations

JackRobbin

Local time
Today, 01:52
First Name
Jack
My Ride
Honda CB 1100
I'm planning to travel to the northwest woods this winter for short camping. I'm doing some research regarding that is anyone has any tips for the winter camping I would love to hear. This is some information I got from this article here.

What bike will you be riding?

Coincidentally, I was gifted this M/C camping trailer 2 days ago! Sleeps 2IMG_7442.JPG

The article you linked is a good one!

I'm planning to travel to the northwest woods this winter for short camping. I'm doing some research regarding that is anyone has any tips for the winter camping I would love to hear. This is some information I got from this article here.
I can tell you what not to bring; Cheese. I took my BSA 441 into the country and hiked way back into a canyon and set up a tent in the Winter in Northern Cali (near the coast). All night long these mice and rats were fighting over the 3 Lb. block of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar that I planned to live on for a bit. They even got into a big tussle right on my chest as I lay in my bag attempting to sleep. I put a little cheese in the palm of an outstretched hand and pretended to go to sleep. I could feel the little whiskers against my fingertips but I was just not fast enough to grab the little bastards to squeeze the life out of one and make an example out of him.

Other than that I would say that a good and well tested tent and bag is the main concern. I just used a cheap pup-tent for years and camped all over the West. I even jumped freight trains to see where they were going. Fun times. -BA

OK so it was a dumb post, no need to let the thread die.

Kind of interesting, i have always wanted to jump a train too.

triumph david; Jumping freights was one of the most fun things I did as a youth (16 y.o.). The rhythm of the wheels and tracks is a wonderful thing. I had pretty much mastered the harmonica by that age and I played for many hours on those trains. Well, I have loads of stories about those trips and if we were at a campfire on the beach, I would tell you, if you would listen.
Later when I was in my late twenties I worked with a a guy who had severe hemophilia and I could see that he would not live long and I wanted to show him some fun before he died so I took him down to the yard in Glendale California and we jumped a North bound freight. We ended up in Watsonville ("artichoke capital of the world"). About 350 miles up the scenic coast. -BA

That reminds me of a friend of mine that used to hop a train just to ride into town, one he did just that and wound up in New Orleans, La. That happened when we were about 10 or so years old so i chickened out.

I can tell you what not to bring; Cheese. I took my BSA 441 into the country and hiked way back into a canyon and set up a tent in the Winter in Northern Cali (near the coast). All night long these mice and rats were fighting over the 3 Lb. block of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar that I planned to live on for a bit. They even got into a big tussle right on my chest as I lay in my bag attempting to sleep. I put a little cheese in the palm of an outstretched hand and pretended to go to sleep. I could feel the little whiskers against my fingertips but I was just not fast enough to grab the little bastards to squeeze the life out of one and make an example out of him.

Other than that I would say that a good and well tested tent and bag is the main concern. I just used a cheap pup-tent for years and camped all over the West. I even jumped freight trains to see where they were going. Fun times. -BA
lol. sounds like a misery/thriller adventure.

I hopped trains in my youth. My little country town was a shipping point for the Railway Express Agency (long gone by the wayside) before the railroads when exclusively to bulk (car load) shipments. We would go to the next town or two and wait to hop a returning train. Loads of fun.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom