triumph change recommend oil

Whenever I'm messing around with oil I always have a container of kitty litter handy just in case of a spill - and have had to use it more than once CRY

AJ, that was a terrible mess for sure.

Whenever I'm messing around with oil I always have a container of kitty litter handy just in case of a spill - and have had to use it more than once CRY

Heads Up:

Kitty litter and/or oil dry doesn't work well on cold oil on a cold cement floor!

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Heads Up:

Kitty litter and/or oil dry doesn't work well on cold oil on a cold cement floor!

-- Posted with TapaTalk
Quite true.
I've only had one serious spill (2 litres/quarts) and I had to leave it on the spill for quite a few days until it absorbed the oil.
I had a 4 litre container nearly full of used motorcycle oil in my garage, but hadn't moved it far enough out of the way for when I backed my car in.
I crushed the plastic container against the wall and it cracked. By the time I noticed it about 2 litres had spilled :y20:
The stain is still on the concrete garage floor, but fading with time.

Hmmm an oil thread. Nom nom, pass the popcorn! :D

Honestly I feel that any decent brand these days is good.

Yep, not very entertaining to the initiated. I'm sure you're right, but as I can take whatever I choose, I just wanted to know what people were using, and why. Well, nearly anything I want, man, Silkolene must be some good stuff, pretty 'proud' of it, they are. I thought the Amsoil price of $15 a quart or $49.99 a gal was crazy. I saw Silkolene for $22 a liter, $81 for a 4 liter. My local parts store carries Amsoil, and I'm sure it's pretty good stuff. Next will be to check out the hydrolic fluids and such, see how the front forks feel. My buddy who helps me with this stuff is pretty meticulous with all of it, he'll be telling me to put new fork oil in as well. For that, I'll use lucasoil synth fork oil for that.

Last edited:
I use Amsoil metric 10-40 and I've been very happy with it. I've been thinking about switching to Amsoil metric 15-50. But I have a water cooled Bobber. So , I might just stay with the Amsoil 10-40. But, last summer it was really hot and in the triple digit temps, in the lower foothills of California. So, what do you guys think?

Amsoil is a very good quality oil and I have used it on and off for years.
Your owners manual should give you the temperature range for engine oil weight so I would go by that.

I used Castrol 10W50 last year on my T'bird and again on my Explorer this year, due to it being available at Walmart and cheaper. Not available there any more but our local Canadian Tire store had it so that's what I chose. Would not mess with the cold weight to ensure quick oil flow on start up.

What? You change oil like me? :y2:

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
To get rid of oil stains in your garage or on the driveway. Try using cement. It has lymn in it. Them, just put a little bit down, through some water on top of it and take a good stiff floor push brush, scube down the oil spot really good and the lymn in the cement, will bleach it, white again. Works for really good for me anyway, you might want to try it.

I used Castrol 10W50 last year on my T'bird and again on my Explorer this year, due to it being available at Walmart and cheaper. Not available there any more but our local Canadian Tire store had it so that's what I chose. Would not mess with the cold weight to ensure quick oil flow on start up.
Thank you. That pretty much answered my question.

I use Amsoil metric 10-40 and I've been very happy with it. I've been thinking about switching to Amsoil metric 15-50. But I have a water cooled Bobber. So , I might just stay with the Amsoil 10-40. But, last summer it was really hot and in the triple digit temps, in the lower foothills of California. So, what do you guys think?
I also use Amsoil Metric 10W40 in my liquid cooled Tiger. I used Metric 15W50 in my air cooled Bonnevilles. I think in you liquid cooled Bobber, you should use the weight the book recommends for your temperature range.

I also use Amsoil Metric 10W40 in my liquid cooled Tiger. I used Metric 15W50 in my air cooled Bonnevilles. I think in you liquid cooled Bobber, you should use the weight the book recommends for your temperature range.
I agree with you. I'm just going to stay with 10-40. I was thinking about a few of those of those triple digit temps day's last summer. But, they weren't constant either. But then, I thought about how cold it's been as of lately and that made up my mind for me and the 10-40 metric, it is what I'm staying with.

That's what I switched back to this fall when I did the oil change before winter storage. Found the 10W50 a little heavy for our climate.

That's what I switched back to this fall when I did the oil change before winter storage. Found the 10W50 a little heavy for our climate.
Good call to. I'lll stay with my 10-40 Amsoil. Like I've said before. Although, that Honda pro chain lube is pretty awesome stuff. Since I bought my first can, I've still got 3/4 of that can left. I liked it so much that I bought more cans of the stuff. It doesn't fly off either, it's got that white lithium grease in there too. It is by far the best chain lube, that I've ever used. iIt's a little pricey, but well worth it.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom