Triumph SS Hacks

These boots are made for ridin'. Perhaps you're like me and have tried all kind of boots, jump boots, jungle boots, hunting boots. All have three drawbacks. The laces are a b----, the insoles have no arch, and the sole lugs are for snow. You come up to a stop light and the boot clings to the peg and you almost drop it. You leave the light and the other boot grabs the claw peg and you hit neutral. Tl fix it I grab my grinding tools, safety equipment and round off the offending lugs using the Dremel sanding drum to smooth the edges. The boots are China made "Ridge air-Tac" and do need a proper arch support. Like all my no cost-mild labor hacks, use only tools you have been trained to use and always use safety equipment. One boot is finished the other is untouched. j.p.

Attachments

• IMG_2544.jpg
    IMG_2544.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2545 (1).jpg
    IMG_2545 (1).jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2546.jpg
    IMG_2546.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 7
New boots have steel toes and are a bit chunky in the toe so I decided to grind my shift lever PEG to give me a bit of room and at the same time smooth and taper the peg to better fit the boot. Tools are shown and as always safety with power tools a concern. The longer bolt was used to hold peg while grinding and the wedge was useful to lock shifter in place so as not to torque forces to internal shift shaft. Blue locker is a good idea to keep ground face down. Red paint to show depth of grind but added nice touch in the end.

Attachments

• IMG_2562 (1).jpg
    IMG_2562 (1).jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2563.jpg
    IMG_2563.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2564.jpg
    IMG_2564.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 6
Most of my ideas are "no cost or low cost" but this idea will keep the wind off you. DART Fly Screens are about only 2/3rd the cost of OEM. I have put them on BMW and Triumph. This time the SS didn't fit. Ordered from a well known company I called for return. They said that DART would send a replacement bracket DIRECT instead of doing a return. They did and I installed the correct bracket. (less than 1 month delay from England) Thought I'd show you. Apparently the '22 Scram has a slightly different headlight bucket thus needing a different bracket from the earlier (@2017-2020) bikes. The newer bike needs a more laid back bracket. The early bracket has about 1/4" dog leg as measured from level to bend. The correct (2022) bracket has 3/4" gap from level surface to bend as measured with 1/4" wood blocks. The length of the brackets are identical. Correct placement of s.s. shim shown in figure 3. Finished product (light to fly screen gap) shown in figure 4.

Attachments

• IMG_2566 (1).jpg
    IMG_2566 (1).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2569.jpg
    IMG_2569.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2568.jpg
    IMG_2568.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2570.jpg
    IMG_2570.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 5
Another inexpensive way to increase your visibility to other motorists is to exchange the clear tiny lamp in the headlight bucket and replace with an amber bulb. Just remove two lover 5mm bolts and snap upward on the bezel. It makes a sound like breaking plastic. (don't worry it doesn't break easily) Pull up on the little bulb (orange arrow, fig. 2) and pull out the clear lamp and replace with amber bulb. Reverse to reassemble. The amber bulbs are hard to locate. Found one at Iowa 80 (semi-truck supplier) on the net. Anything you can do to make them see you is good. Sorry the amber bulb doesn't photo as well as it can be seen by eye. jp

Attachments

• IMG_2644 (1).jpg
    IMG_2644 (1).jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2642.jpg
    IMG_2642.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2641 (1).jpg
    IMG_2641 (1).jpg
    334 KB · Views: 5
I think in some states they are illegal for a primary headlight.

Many subjects in this thread so here goes.

Unfortunately, for most of us, as we grow older our arms eventually become not long enough and we have to resort to spectacles. When I test rode a Ducati I was thinking of buying in 2001 the speedo was graduated every 20 mph and was clear to my unaided eyes. When my new machine arrived it’s speedo was graduated every 10 mph and was a struggle to easily read until you became used to where the numbers were. Hence the use of the markers on the clock.

5ADE0EAD-45B9-4A31-B51A-CE9A2EC9B0BB.jpeg

Since then the real solution is what you use while riding. Spectacles when it becomes necessary? I now use multi focal contact lenses and they are a game changer.

Regarding age, I am only a couple of years behind you Jerry and have just bought a new Street Triple R which I am enjoying.

The diamond grip pattern on the pegs infill must have taken ages.

I would recommend that you always carry your cell phone on your body. One day I had just left home and within a quarter of a mile I was on the floor having been dragged by the fingers of my right hand being trapped between the grip and the brake lever sliding along the blacktop. All this at only 10 mph or less but collar bone, shoulder blade and a rib were all fractured. Fortunately i eventually persuaded the helpful public first on scene that I really did need to get my helmet off and was able to use my phone.

Our phones now have emergency call facility which doesn’t even require the phone to be unlocked. My iPhone, on pressing and holding the opposing buttons for a brief period will start the emergency call countdown after which it will call whoever you have designated, can be more than one, and it will give gps coordinates.

Boots, as far as I’m concerned there are only one that I would now use and they are Daytona Road Stars. On a return journey of over 400 miles from Luxembourg back to the UK in biblical rain the only things dry when we eventually got home we’re my feet and my hands. Both gloves and boots are Gortex lined. My youngest lad also concurs with this opinion as he has snaffled his old man’s first pair.

With regard to visibility surely you always ride with dipped headlight on? It is worth noting this YouTube video

Non white light on the front of your vehicle is certainly illegal in the UK, direction indicators excepted of coarse.

Does one care how fast they are going on a Ducati? LOL

Good post for us older guys.

Does one care how fast they are going on a Ducati? LOL

Good post for us older guys.
Thank you. Unfortunately, yes as speed restrictions and the checking of vehicle speeds is just getting worse every year here in the UK. What were speed limited zones are now becoming average speed zones. So if you are going to give it some you need to know the road ahead and even then hope the mobile cameras are not around. There are no unrestricted roads in the UK.

There is only one real place to get your fill of adrenaline and that is on track. Nothing hard to run into and no traffic coming the other way. For ten years I organised an annual trackday for guys and gals met during my career at the Ron Haslam Race School at Donington Park until Honda, in their infinite wisdom pulled the plug. You could turn up suited and booted and they supplied everything, bike, instructor and all the riding kit. Ron and Anne, really nice approachable people. We took the eldest grandson one year.

8FBFCCCB-31EC-432C-8F6C-C8E02C69105F.jpeg

B;oodknot, I rather like your "red line" idea. I always wondered why helmet makers haven't put a tiny convex lens in the bottom of the visor to aid in seeing those clocks, now that so much is in digital form. Here in Central Florida it's easy to find a country road curving around lakes in which no cross traffic can get you (at least from the lake side). There are, however, a plethora of animals about, reptiles and sand hill cranes to avoid. Worked as an anesthetist for 30 years and the worst motorcycle accident victim I took care of was a off road dirt bike kid who met a four wheel drive truck head on (off road), both only going about your first "red line" mark. The 4x4 won the encounter. So accidents can occur anywhere. Wondered if you've done Trials, as I get a magazine from UK where it's very popular. Had a Beta 4t not long ago and loved the simplicity. jp

Have never tried trials or motocross but my youngest is keen to give green lanes a try. These are unpaved rights of way where vehicular traffic is allowed. But whilst there are no speed limits, the very nature of the terrain will determine that, you will be “competing” with the ramblers. Basically the country is becoming overcrowded.

If we do get to have a crack at this I would dearly like to try it on a suitably modified Meriden 350 twin. It needs to be reasonably light as, no doubt, you will be having to pick the thing up off the floor a few times.

As for my red lines, now that I’m into the multifocal contact lenses they have all been removed.

My latest projects on the new bike have been a mounting plate for the Quadlock phone mount system and adapting the Ventura luggage rack originally bought for the Ducati.

Last edited:
On the subject of inexpensive hacks or helps, might I suggest to the avid street rider that stuffing one's back pack might provide a slight extra protection. In this case I took a Beta hydration pack and though it is padded with insulation I laminated some very strong cardboard fitting quite nicely inside the pack. Works for me and still affords room for postal envelopes and small hardware items. A greater level can be had at Triumph dealer offering thick rubberized inserts which I recommend.

Attachments

• IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 2
So here’s the Ventura lu racks, originally bought for the Ducati, now fitted to my Street Triple
On the subject of inexpensive hacks or helps, might I suggest to the avid street rider that stuffing one's back pack might provide a slight extra protection. In this case I took a Beta hydration pack and though it is padded with insulation I laminated some very strong cardboard fitting quite nicely inside the pack. Works for me and still affords room for postal envelopes and small hardware items. A greater level can be had at Triumph dealer offering thick rubberized inserts which I recommend.

I have never been keen on riding with anything strapped on my back purely on the basis that if I am going to throw the bike down the road then I want to be able to slide without anything catching that would bring me to an abrupt stop with possible whiplash implications. So I always use the best back protector I can in my jacket. Fortunately the climate here in the UK allows me to always ride in full leathers which might not be achievable elsewhere.

This youtube video is a review of three fabric jackets now on the market. In it the presenter quotes some stats on speed and time before, as he puts it, you would start shedding DNA. Sobering thoughts.

Have never tried trials or motocross but my youngest is keen to give green lanes a try. These are unpaved rights of way where vehicular traffic is allowed. But whilst there are no speed limits, the very nature of the terrain will determine that, you will be “competing” with the ramblers. Basically the country is becoming overcrowded.

If we do get to have a crack at this I would dearly like to try it on a suitably modified Meriden 350 twin. It needs to be reasonably light as, no doubt, you will be having to pick the thing up off the floor a few times.

As for my red lines, now that I’m into the multifocal contact lenses they have all been removed.

My latest projects on the new bike have been a mounting plate for the Quadlock phone mount system and adapting the Ventura luggage rack originally bought for the Ducati.
After seeing your statement on the Daytona Road Stars, I found a few more independent reviews, all favorable. I've been riding in CAT or Timberland work boots, and not really satisfied. So, Thursday evening I found a shop in Oregon that had my size in stock and placed my order. Received them today, and the comfort already makes them worth the premium over what I had.

After seeing your statement on the Daytona Road Stars, I found a few more independent reviews, all favorable. I've been riding in CAT or Timberland work boots, and not really satisfied. So, Thursday evening I found a shop in Oregon that had my size in stock and placed my order. Received them today, and the comfort already makes them worth the premium over what I had.
Excellent. You will not regret your purchase. On the pair that my youngest liberated from me the protector pad on the top of the boots eventually gave up the ghost and came off. Now these boots are at least 15 years old so no grumbles, but I contacted Daytona in Germany and they would still happily take them in for repair. The only thing that stopped him sending them off was the post and packing charge was more than the repair. So still going strong without the pads.

I have an older pair where the shifter pads fell off, the Kevlar coating is cracking exposing the carbon fiber on the shaft of the boots and the soles are cracking apart. Sent them pictures and they told me to pound sand. Daytona boots will never see any more money from me or anyone I know. They had their chance to stand behind their product and they muffed it.

I have an older pair where the shifter pads fell off, the Kevlar coating is cracking exposing the carbon fiber on the shaft of the boots and the soles are cracking apart. Sent them pictures and they told me to pound sand. Daytona boots will never see any more money from me or anyone I know. They had their chance to stand behind their product and they muffed it.
From your description of the “faults” do you not think that you just wore them out?

Tell me, if you can, who in the world has a lifetime warranty on wearable goods?

Perhaps you've removed the pillion pegs and replaced with BC caps and that makes a good trailer attachment point to tie down but the remaining pillion support sticks out and provides little protection in a garage tip over. Why not replace the ugly peg support with aluminum bar stock? It's EZ and on a cold day project removes a bit of weight and looks cool and is functional for the trailer straps.

Add 2 drill holes and 2 zip ties to secure battery tender cable and anodized aluminum M8 (1.25 pitch) bolts in a color of choice from Pro Bolt. Be sure to save the M8 Stainless bolts it converting back to pillion use and if in doubt trailering, the stainless bolts are stronger. I use a multitude of straps so these side straps are extra insurance and not the main strap system.

Attachments

• IMG_3366 (1).jpg
    IMG_3366 (1).jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3365.jpg
    IMG_3365.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 5
After reading internet stories about Triumph gearbox failures after left side tip overs I decided to add protection for the vulnerable gear shift selector. The Triumph accessory tip over bars do protect the cases but as the foot peg fold up the gearshift lever will contact the ground and put extreme stress on the selector "boss" inside the case causing failure. The old Triumph T-100C and TR-6 had fixed footpegs with rubber cladding and did fine protecting the shift mechanism. By taking a 4 1/2" of 5/8" aluminum bar stock it is quite easy to mill a peg preventing the foot peg to fold and thus no damage allowed to gearbox after a minor tip over. And with most of my hacks no drilling to the OEM parts are needed. However, if you are the rider who scrapes his foot pegs this modification is not for you, even if the aluminum bar stock is left short so some flex is allowed this mod is not recommended for canyon carving. My Street Scrambler is high enough to not worry about peg touching pavement. Mods are at your peril as well as machine tooling.

Attachments

• IMG_3476 (1).jpg
    IMG_3476 (1).jpg
    195 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3477 (1).jpg
    IMG_3477 (1).jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 4
Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom