B25bsaboy

Riding for 53 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 17:31
First Name
Richard (Rick)
My Ride
1970 Triumph TR25W, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900
I went to the friendly Triumph dealer here in Calgary to order an extra key for the Triumph Thunderbird 900. No worries as the young lady behind the counter needed all kinds of information to insure that I was who I say i am. Filled out the form for Triumph and said, "That will be $ 82.00 plus GST" pretty please.
This is one of the times that i was totally gob smacked! Why the hell so much for a key from Triumph? Is it gold plated with a hidden chip. I paid it of course due to the fact I was in a state of shock.:Opps2::y144:

Has anyone had this experience?

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 4 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 16:31
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
I had a similar experience for an ordinary spare ignition key, and 2 replacement handlebar lock keys, all without chips. Almost said "forget it!"

triumph david

Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 18:31
First Name
david
My Ride
1976 t140 Triumph, 2006 Road King, 1982 Honda CB 900 C, 1973 Yamaha 360 Enduro, 1972 Corbin
I would have been in shock too!!!

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 19:31
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Wow! I can understand that for a chip key.

WeedWacker

Riding for 45 Years
Local time
Today, 10:31
First Name
Adam
My Ride
821 Monster
I had the same issue here in Sydney $90. The key had to come from the UK. After 7 months I was still getting nothing but excuses from my local dealer so I asked for a refund and had the keys cut by a local locksmith for a fraction of the cost. They just need the numbers from the barrel.

VABird

Local time
Yesterday, 19:31
First Name
Bob
My Ride
2012 T-Bird 1600 ABS
I had the same issue here in Sydney $90. The key had to come from the UK. After 7 months I was still getting nothing but excuses from my local dealer so I asked for a refund and had the keys cut by a local locksmith for a fraction of the cost. They just need the numbers from the barrel.
You can get a key blank on eBay for about $6 and presuming you have one, take it to almost any shop to have duplicated for a couple more.

Spanna

Riding for 48 Years
Local time
Today, 00:31
First Name
Stan
My Ride
Thunderbird 900
I went to the friendly Triumph dealer here in Calgary to order an extra key for the Triumph Thunderbird 900. No worries as the young lady behind the counter needed all kinds of information to insure that I was who I say i am. Filled out the form for Triumph and said, "That will be $ 82.00 plus GST" pretty please.
This is one of the times that i was totally gob smacked! Why the hell so much for a key from Triumph? Is it gold plated with a hidden chip. I paid it of course due to the fact I was in a state of shock.:Opps2::y144:

I bought two keys off eBay uncut @ £10.00 each And cut them myself on an old key cutting machine I also bought through said same online buying site for £30.00 about 3 years ago.
However if I purchase a key from my local auto key store and he cuts them to pattern, Triumph keys cost approx £45.00 each.
I would have thought $82.00 plus tax is extortionate. Invest in an old cutting machine

B25bsaboy

Riding for 53 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 17:31
First Name
Richard (Rick)
My Ride
1970 Triumph TR25W, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900

Well here is the rest of the story:
Got a call from the parts person at the friendly clueless Triumph dealership the other day to say they meaning Triumph don’t have the “chipped key” and they can only supply a Triumph blank. Duh what’s with this silliness? Gave me credit for my purchase and ordered a blank key that I got earlier today for a whopping $ 18.00. God I wish some of these parts folks would spend some time on the shop floor to get a better idea of what they are trying to sell what the customers need.
Bought the blank home and it fits like a glove! Now to get it cut......WINK

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom