B25bsaboy

Local time
Yesterday, 21:00
First Name
Richard (Rick)
My Ride
1970 Triumph TR25W, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900
:y151:

Hello, Guess you can say that I am a newly to the board. Have owned a number of Triumph Thunderbirds and Trophy’s over the years and got away from them for no particular reason. I just purchased a 1995 TBird low mileage and will become my project bike foe the next two years sorting it out, like starter issues:y21:

I was wondering if on the board is there a place just for the TBird 900, as I read this site it’s more geared for the newer TBirds LT. Just a thought.

Also, the Hinkley Thunderbird 900 are 25 years old and are now classified as vintage like me! :party1:

Welcome to TT from Florida. I wish you the best with your Thunderbird project.

Welcome to TT from NB.
Love the older T'birds.
Not sure if they have any mechanical similarities to earlier Sprints , Trophys or other Meridian Triumphs, so hopefully someone can chime in with some more info for you.
Keep us updated on your progress.

Hello and welcome to TT from the east coast too BBEER

:five: Welcome, from Northern California.

Hello, Guess you can say that I am a newly to the board. Have owned a number of Triumph Thunderbirds and Trophy’s over the years and got away from them for no particular reason. I just purchased a 1995 TBird low mileage and will become my project bike foe the next two years sorting it out, like starter issues:y21:

I was wondering if on the board is there a place just for the TBird 900, as I read this site it’s more geared for the newer TBirds LT. Just a thought.

Also, the Hinkley Thunderbird 900 are 25 years old and are now classified as vintage like me! :party1:

Hey B25 guy...welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Thunderbird. I have a 2000 T'bird and have some repair experience with it. Currently diagnosing an electrical system problem. BTW my 1st British bike was a 1971 BSA B25T. Good luck with the T'bird.
BSAA65

In the last several weeks, have had some time to strip the TBird and pulled the engine to tackle the sprag clutch issue. Its funny one never knows what you get when you buy something only from pictures. Thus far I am not seeing anything I don't like and the TBird after 25 years is not in bad condition once you start cleaning 25 years of you know what.

IMG_2172.jpeg
Just prior to peeling the onion skin back

IMG_2399.jpeg
Engine removed and that was not for the faint at heart!

IMG_2401.jpeg
I have starting cleaning the engine with Scotch Bright, Tooth Brush and Marvel Mystery Oil as I find that it takes the heavy grease better than WD40. Also on a side note if the engine has stains on the surface, Marvel Mystery oil tales these stains out. Don't ask as I thought when I first read about this product as a cleaning solution I thought it was BS! And it smells not to bad:)

Stay tuned, as I will try and report in my progress!

Last edited:
Thank you for the update.

In the last several weeks, have had some time to strip the TBird and pulled the engine to tackle the sprag clutch issue. Its funny one never knows what you get when you buy something only from pictures. Thus far I am not seeing anything I don't like and the TBird after 25 years is not in bad condition once you start cleaning 25 years of you know what.

View attachment 47697
Just prior to peeling the onion skin back

View attachment 47698
Engine removed and that was not for the faint at heart!

View attachment 47699
I have starting cleaning the engine with Scotch Bright, Tooth Brush and Marvel Mystery Oil as I find that it takes the heavy grease better than WD40. Also on a side note if the engine has stains on the surface, Marvel Mystery oil tales these stains out. Don't ask as I thought when I first read about this product as a cleaning solution I thought it was BS! And it smells not to bad:)

Stay tuned, as I will try and report in my progress!

I just placed my first order for items that will be needed to split the engine and investigate what's the issue - Sprag Clutch? Placed an order with Sprint Manufacturing in Warminster, UK. The items arrived Fed Ex in three (3) days and it was worth the added carriage cost. Upon inspecting the items, this is an excellent purchase as the gasket and seal set cost me 69.00 lbs sterling. The reason I bring this up, if I were to order these items through my local Triumph dealer I would have to order each individual item thus the cost would have been three times what Sprint Mfg charges.

I was also corresponding with a gentleman called Mike and he tells me he ordered an improved Sprag Clutch assembly from Trev at Sprint Mfg and is extremely pleased with the end results.

So here is a plug for Trev at Sprint Mfg in the UK:party1::y29::awesome:

Excellent! Things are looking up. TUP

Excellent! Things are looking up. TUP
This is where we are at as far as the rear wheel and swing arm is concerned. Thanks to. Lot of elbow grease and Mother’s Aluminum Wheel polish, its starting to look kinda spiffy!D2C2CD55-AB7E-4FAE-A179-9657393215E4.jpeg

72723024-FB1C-4ED3-AFB1-16582FF02213.jpeg

Looking good!

That looks really good. TUP

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom