Triumph TR6RV Tiger Restoration; 26+ Years Sitting

BAinLA

Local time
Today, 12:02
First Name
BA
My Ride
1972 Triumph TR6RV
In GB, only an optometrist could diagnose cataracts, and advise treatment. Google says the US equivalent of a British optometrist is a "doctor of optometry"? It was one in the DMV?

If not, everything I've ever read online about US DMV staff, they have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time - a recent new contributor, his DMV has recorded complete rubbish for the "frame number" of his bike. But they can diagnose cataracts? Mmmm ...

Really? US insurers are happy to insure you with a potential condition affecting your sight? Here in GB, eyesight for driving is eyesight for driving, does not matter what you are driving; if that fail was for one category, you would lose all your entitlements until it was fixed. A condition of any valid vehicle insurance is you are licenced to drive the vehicle.
I should have been clearer. I already knew about the cataract from an eye test years ago (strangely it hasn't gotten much worse in those 3+ years).

The standard driver's license (autos/light trucks) will need to be renewed in 2 years. Until then, when they will probably re-check my eyes, it is still good. Insurance won't learn (hopefully) of the failed test as that was for a new M1 license application.

BAinLA

Local time
First Name
BA
My Ride
1972 Triumph TR6RV
Is it possible to go to your own eye doctor, ask for an exam and contest the DMV if you pass?
Good idea and they did give me a form to take to him to fill out, but they said I still need to pass the DMV test. I'm not too sure what exactly that means. There is a small chance that since I can easily demonstrate my ability to drive safely that they just need a medical explanation for their records. I think I will just get it done (the operation). I've been talking to people (brave people in my book) who say it's nothing. In and out. So I'll make an appointment.

Last edited:

BAinLA

Local time
First Name
BA
My Ride
1972 Triumph TR6RV
Oh, good question! California DMV is known, here anyway, to be less than optimal, so I'd love to see them put in their place.
"Less than optimal". That is probably the kindest thing ever written about them. It's the 3 hour wait to just get in that chaps my hide but my angst is directed to the politicians that blow massive treasures on some boondoggle or redesign some government buildings instead of fixing the blasted DMV. I might even drive 1 1/2 hours up to Santa Barbara where the lines are 1/50th that of L.A. Nice drive too along the coast. -BA

sikatri

Local time
Today, 14:02
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
Good idea and they did give me a form to take to him to fill out, but they said I still need to pass the DMV test. I'm not too sure what exactly that means. There is a small chance that since I can easily demonstrate my ability to drive safely that they just need a medical explanation for their records. I think I will just get it done (the operation). I've been talking to people (brave people in my book) who say it's nothing. In and out. So I'll make an appointment.
There maybe a reason that you can’t see through their machine. Call your doctor and discuss what happened with them.

BAinLA

Local time
First Name
BA
My Ride
1972 Triumph TR6RV
I went for distance lenses in both eyes, and glasses for reading because I'm used to glasses after 50 years. So my glasses are clear glass on top and reading correction on bottom. The first thing I noticed after the first eye was how yellow everything was with the other eye, while the corrected eye saw white whites.
That's an interesting option. I am used to reading glasses now so that might work. Clear glass on top and reading below. Hmmm.

BAinLA

Local time
First Name
BA
My Ride
1972 Triumph TR6RV
I wear trifocals with clear glass on top.
Did you have cataract surgery or you just have great distance vision? Don't they have some sort of 1/2 size lens for this type of situation?

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 15:02
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I have yet to have my cataract surgery.My distance vision is fine. I have to have corrective lenses for reading and intermediate ranges.I also use this intermediate correction for shooting.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom