Thunderbird
Local time
Today, 01:35
First Name
AJ Turner
My Ride
1996 Triumph Trophy 1200
TROPHY_RHF_700p.jpg

Triumph's ORIGINAL Hinckley come-back bike!

Model run = 1990 -to- 2003 (discontinued)

Engine - Liquid-cooled, DOHC, in-line 4-cylinder
Capacity - 1,180cc
Bore/Stroke - 76 x 65mm
Compression Ratio - 10.6:1
Induction - 4 x 36mm flat slide CV carburettors
Ignition - Digital, inductive type
Claimed Power - 107hp @ 9,000rpm
Claimed Torque - 104Nm @ 5,000rpm
Final Drive - X ring chain
Clutch - Wet, multi-plate
Gearbox - 6 speed
Frame - Micro alloyed high tensile steel spine
Swingarm - Twin-sided, aluminium alloy with eccentric chain adjuster
Front Rim - Alloy 3-spoke, 17 x 3.5in
Rear Rim - Alloy 3-spoke, 17 x 5.5in
Front Tyre - 120/70 ZR 17
Rear Tyre - 170/60 ZR 17
Front Suspension - 43mm forks with triple rate springs
Rear Suspension - Monoshock with adjustable preload and rebound damping
Front Brakes - Twin 310mm floating discs, 4 piston calipers
Rear Brake - Single 255mm disc, 2 piston caliper
Length - 2,152mm (84.7in)
Width - 790mm (31.1in)
Height - 1,430mm (56.3in)
Seat Height - 790mm (31.1in)
Wheelbase - 1,490mm (58.7in)
Rake/Trail - 27°/105mm
Dry Weight - 235kg (518lb)
Fuel Capacity - 25 litres

My Trophy Review:

trophy1200.jpg

My 1996 Trophy 1200 without the panniers mounted (color is called Merlot)

- D&D Exhaust
- XL Clearview Windscreen
- Corbin saddle
- Luggage Rack
- Gen Mar risers
- Pictured w/o matching hard panniers & top box

I've owned my 1996 1200 4 cylinder Trophy (Triumph also made a 900 3 cylinder model) since new and now have 55,000 on her.

This is the ultimate stealth bike!....

It's a hidden jewell in it's class (Sport-Touring) and has the guts of a thoroughbred in a beautiful looking package.

While it'll tour in the ranks of any BMW with ease, it's definitely got the "sport" side of Sport-Touring in it's heart.

This is not a bike for the faint of heart! It's 4 cylinder produces over 100 HP and has the torque to climb trees or pull 'em out by the roots.

Here's a stat from Cycle World:

Model 1/4 mile 40->60* 60->80* Top

Trophy 1200 11.64sec@114.35MPH 2.8 sec 3.0 sec 135

Honda ST 1100 12.21sec@108.88MPH 4.7 sec 5.1 sec 129

BMW R1100RT 12.46sec@107.60MPH 4.5 sec 5.2 sec 125

With the standard hard panniers removed, it's a good looking sport bike with precise and predicatble enough handling that you ought to be able to keep pace with whomever you're riding with.

For touring, it's smooth and a joy to ride.....you almost hate to arrive at your destination. The locking/removable panniers are large enough for full face helmets plus some and you can also add a huge matching top box that doubles as a passenger seat back rest.

It has nice analogue gauges, including a clock and gas gauge. Earlier models included two helmet hooks that locked under the seat (discontinued around 2000) and 4 retractable bungee hooks under the seat for securing gear. Later models had adjustable rear shocks with under-seat access to the adjuster. Early models had a dipstick for oil checks while the later models (when the engine/frame changed from gray to black) had a site-glass for that purpose.

Things owners add to make it perfect:

A larger windscreen for touring that cuts the helmet buffeting with the shorter and stock size.

Auxillary headlamps, heated grips, throttle lock cruise control, oil pressure, temp & amp guages, tank bag w/ map pocket, softer/larger diameter grips, handlebar risers, gel seat, automatic chain oiler system.

Annoyances:

Most owners upgrade/stiffen the fork springs in a number of different ways because they are mushy in the stock form. Mostly, the problem is too much front end dive under braking.

There's plenty of torque, so many owners change the sprocket sizes to reduce revs at highway speeds to make it more comfortable and save fuel (1200 aren't too good on petrol!).

Airbox removal to change/clean the air filter is a nightmare that only mascochists could have designed! Seriously...this can take you a whole day to accomplish and don't be in mixed company at the time.

The stock seat has been nicknamed "The Widowmaker" or "Nutcracker". The way it's formed causes the rider to slide towards the tank continuously. The taller you are, it seems the worse this effect is. The optional gel seat helps. Many owners buy a Corbin or Sargeant.

The bike had some factory bulletins: One concerning a bad ground that caused various problems electrically. The fix was just to relocate it to a better spot. The other was about a bolt wearing prematurely for the generator.

The seat height is pretty tall and especially hard for women owners. This is also a very heavy bike and that weight is centered rather high. So the bike feels top-heavy to push around and it makes very low speed handling something left up to experienced riders. Most owners dump them at 0 MPH one time or another...LOL!

AJ,

Thanks for posting about the Trophy. I absolutely love mine and don't think I could replace it with anything else. It suits me just fine. The only gripe I have with it is the fuel consumption at higher speeds. Lucky if I get 35 to the gallon at 70 mph+. But as I ride my bike daily whatever the weather and rarely exceed 60mph whilst riding to work, it is reasonably good on juice for a big heavy bike.

The seat question isn't a problem for me. I'm 5' 10" (178cm) and using one of our sheepskin seat covers, I never have reason to complain. The only thing I would change if I could would be the engine note. I just love the sound of the Triumph triple. I originally wanted a triple Trophy but couldn't find a decent one when looking, so, I settled for the 1200/4. I just love the power and resposiveness of the 1200 so I'll wear the fuel consumption.

I have a friend who has a BMW K1200RS and I love to rub it in when he complains he only gets 40mpg at best. And that's on a fuel injected bike! On a recent ride day along the Great Ocean Road (my local playground) he only returned 32mpg against my 40mpg. So, I won't whinge about my own fuel consumption.

Thanks heaps for posting the stats and pics. Gotta say though, Platinum is the best colour, lol.

Lee. :y115:

:y64:

I also like the "exclusivity" factor. When I arrive at any event, the Trophy is always admired and a conversation piece being pretty rare around here. Chicks dig Trophys!...they think they are sexy.

Another of my want to have bikes :y18:

AJ, I love the color of yours.

LOL....Lee is just jealous because he knows that Merlot is the fastest color out of all the Trophys.

[quote author=The Seeker link=topic=168.msg1534#msg1534 date=1214511573]
LOL....Lee is just jealous because he knows that Merlot is the fastest color out of all the Trophys.
[/quote]

AJ, worra loada bollocks, don't even go there, lol..

Lee. :grin:

New to Triumph. New to the Forum. Have owned a 1996 1200 for the last three weeks. Managed to ride it to work twice. So far it's a money pit. Here's hoping that it'll be sorted soon - there's not much left to change - just the coils!

12000 miles into the bike now - it's been so reliable - just spent another bunch of money on it - alternator drive shaft, cam chain, throttle cable, big carb adjustment again, fuel tap kit again, tyres, front brakes (expensive), all lubes changed. Like a new bike again - a very happy Trophy rider.

If anyone is wondering - I've been with my 1200 Trophy for 42000 miles now - it's been semi retired since August last year, but it did do four weeks work in January 2019 about 80 miles a day. Servicing only required whilst I've owned it, and new (EBC) discs at the front excepting three failures - the throttle cable broke, the choke cable broke and the speedo cable broke. I had to clean out the fuel tank last spring - the second time in my ownership. I had it dealer serviced last July and was tempted by a used 1215 Trophy there which I've put 8500 miles on since then. The 1200 still excites me to ride it - the dynamic way the throttle responds is wonderful. The fuel consumption has been better than 42 mpg all the time - an all time best was 47mpg. I can't keep both bikes and I know that I'm going to regret parting with this one. It is a secretly brilliant machine for everything!

There a great bike and i often wonder why triumph didnt continue with the four cylinder motor just for the trophy ? .... i had one and loved it and i can tell now .... you will regret selling it !
But then again the 1215 is a great bike as well and a bit more refind .

I just bought a 1999 Trophy 900 that was sitting in a garage for a couple years. I haven't tried to start it yet as it has the old gas still in it. The guy I bought it from said it was his Father in laws who bought it new and has since passed away. It appears to be in good condition except what he said is carb issues? Any thoughts on what I should do before I try to start it? I've been riding Guzzi's for over 40 years and love them, but I'm really anxious to get the trophy going as I've read so many good things about them.
Any advice is appreciated.

Total fuel system cleaning, tank, petcock/strainer, carbs as it's been sitting for so long.
Change fluids, of course, and probably needs a new battery as well.
Running Guzzi's for as long as you have I'm sure you're no stranger to bikes and their maintenance.
Tank cleaning can be done with a vinegar/water solution. Discussed somewhere on this forum, just cannot recall where right now. Maybe in the classics section.
I am sure you'll go over it with a fine toothed comb to get to know it and maybe find any other issues like tires, brakes, spark plugs and all the other wear items.
Let us know how things are progressing.

Total fuel system cleaning, tank, petcock/strainer, carbs as it's been sitting for so long.
Running Guzzi's for as long as you have I'm sure you're no stranger to bikes and their maintenance.
Tank cleaning can be done with a vinegar/water solution. Discussed somewhere on this forum, just cannot recall where right now. Maybe in the classics section.
I am sure you'll go over it with a fine toothed comb to get to know it and maybe find any other issues like tires, brakes, spark plugs and all the other wear items.
Thanks, it's still sitting in my trailer, hope to get to it soon. It's one of those projects that I don't need or have time for, but couldn't resist. I made him an offer and he took it, damn ;-)

I chose the 12V 2A baking soda electrolysis route on my tank. The acids tend to attack the steel, citric acid is apparently kinder on the metal.
The larger the area of the sacrificial anode exposed to the solution, the faster the electrolytic process. The process ends naturally ie. when there is no more FeO to convert, so there is no need to monitor its progress. Rinse the tank out with parafin to prevent flash rust.

Beastie.png

I love my 1996 1200! I know some people prefer the sound of the triple, but when you get on the throttle this bike absolutely howls!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom