Riding for 38 Years
Local time
Today, 03:25
First Name
Carl
My Ride
Legend 900 TT
Hi Guys

My Legend 900 TT Is only running on the middle Cylinder.I have swapped the coils around and still only runs on the middle pot.Swapped the HT leads again only the middle pot.There is no spark on the other 2 cylinders.I have checked the Pick up via the connection near the battery box, 590ohms.Checked the air gap of the pickup 0.75.Im thinking its the Igniter.THe strange thing and possibly the key is the Tacho isn't working.
The last time i rode the bike there was no power and the tachometer didn't work and after 15 minutes tachometer burst into life and full power for the rest of my ride.
As a Igniter is expensive i just thought i would pick your brains before i bought one.

Any thoughts?

thanks Carl

Wire-Wheels

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 19:25
My Ride
2002 America, 2000 Legend, 1995 Sprint
If the pickup were not working, my thinking is.it would.not run at all. The pickup tells the system what position the crank is in, thus establishing engine timing. You have pretty well eliminated the coils being the issue. If I were working on it I would first check for 12 volt power at each coil on the wire coming from the switch. Make.sure those connections.are.clean and tight. If that all checks out then I would replace the igniter. Also you might check the wiring on the back of the tach. I have had some connection issues there on MY Legend. ...J.D.

Gogreen

Riding for 47 Years
Local time
First Name
Phil
My Ride
Thunderbird Sport; T140D
On the principle that 90% of ignition problems are the carbs! are the plugs on one and 3 cylinders getting wet?

Frygood

Riding for 38 Years
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
Legend 900 TT
On the principle that 90% of ignition problems are the carbs! are the plugs on one and 3 cylinders getting wet?
I took the plunge and ordered an igniter hoping that was the problem. After fitting it she fired first time on all three.
So problem sorted. But thank you for replying to me.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 22:25
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Glad you got the problen solved. TUP

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom