Today, 03:21
First Name
Arjan
My Ride
Tiger 800 xcx
Hi,

I have a Tiger 800 xcx 2017.
I want to make the rims tubeless.
Backtire no problem. Front to narrow? Anyone has done it?
My eye is on the Outex tubless kit. A compagny in the Netherlands sells this kit and also can do it for you.

What do you think?

Would love to go tubeless with my spoked rims.....but dont trust the common idea.....thinking of installing that liquid stuff goes inside the tubes.

Anybody used it.

Would love to go tubeless with my spoked rims.....but dont trust the common idea.....thinking of installing that liquid stuff goes inside the tubes.

Anybody used it.
?the common idea? Please explain.

if the liquid stuff you are thinking of putting in your tubes settles when the bike is parked won’t that give you a wheel balance problem? If only initially.

?the common idea? Please explain.

if the liquid stuff you are thinking of putting in your tubes settles when the bike is parked won’t that give you a wheel balance problem? If only initially.
Common idea.....a sort of sticky band that goes over the spoke nipple heads.....or a load of silicone over the spoke heads....its that I am not keen on.....

No probs with the goo that goes inside the tubes....not sure about the balance idea....but I have thought the same as you.

But lots use it inc in cars and bikes far as I know.

Wonder if a tube can be patched old school if the gunk is inside it.

As long as your rims have the safety bead you can seal them using 3M Extreme tape (google it) and never look back, I
did my Thruxton R rims well over a year ago and have had NO problems. What's the worst that could happen? a slow leak, maybe.... When tubes fail it could be catastrophic!

As long as your rims have the safety bead you can seal them using 3M Extreme tape (google it) and never look back, I
did my Thruxton R rims well over a year ago and have had NO problems. What's the worst that could happen? a slow leak, maybe.... When tubes fail it could be catastrophic!
I think of centrifugal force trying to throw off that tape....ever worse with heavy silicone.....imagine the forces at 70mph.

I think of centrifugal force trying to throw off that tape....ever worse with heavy silicone.....imagine the forces at 70mph.
I personally know others who have great results doing the 3M Extreme as well. I'm 80 years old and still have a need for speed.
I've personally seen 130 on my Thruxton R. there is no way that tape is coming off. fact is, you would have a very had time trying to peel it off! clean the wheels extremley well and you'll have no problems. the 3M works better than the kits that are sold. I know this for a fact. problems that people have are not getting a good seal. all it takes is patience and attention to detail. again the worse thing that could happen is a slow leak and you have to do it over. Tubes are heavy and when they go they go. putting the goop inside is difficult at best. Bottom line, I carry a plug kit now and don't have to call the truck! Works for me.

I personally know others who have great results doing the 3M Extreme as well. I'm 80 years old and still have a need for speed.
I've personally seen 130 on my Thruxton R. there is no way that tape is coming off. fact is, you would have a very had time trying to peel it off! clean the wheels extremley well and you'll have no problems. the 3M works better than the kits that are sold. I know this for a fact. problems that people have are not getting a good seal. all it takes is patience and attention to detail. again the worse thing that could happen is a slow leak and you have to do it over. Tubes are heavy and when they go they go. putting the goop inside is difficult at best. Bottom line, I carry a plug kit now and don't have to call the truck! Works for me.
OH, and consider the air in the tire.......I believe its forcing that tape onto the inside of the wheel even more. (not that it needs it).

OH, and consider the air in the tire.......I believe its forcing that tape onto the inside of the wheel even more. (not that it needs it).
I love the idea....thanks for your tips...tubeless is way better....and I love spoked rims.

Downside of goup for me....I have those small pressure sensors on my valves for a monitoring display....I can see goup buggering them up.

Great thing for keeping an eye on your pressures as you ride less than £20GBP

Anybody out here wanting to sell leftover tape ? Looks like the tape rolls are way longer than needed for the job of two rims.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom