Iflybikes

Riding for 57 Years
Local time
Today, 11:32
First Name
Mike
My Ride
2021 t120 Bonneville Red/Silver
I've got some LED turn signal replacement bulbs(modules)for my 2022 t120 Bonneville and so far have had no luck trying to get the turn signal lenses removed.
Online says to just twist clockwise and off they come. I've got pretty strong hands and they don't budge. Another YouTube video
says to insert a screwdriver blade into the slot at the bottom of the unit and twist. That caused damage to the very cheap plastic
teardrop housing and also failed to remove the lens. Seems to be no info I can find out there. Any help would be appreciated. I don't
want to do any damage.

sikatri

Local time
Today, 12:32
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
Got a picture of the unit?

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
The plastic housing on my turn signals was one reason that I replaced them. The other was they had a rubber boot and the construction was such that they always looked crooked. The turn signals I replaced them with are led.

Iflybikes

Riding for 57 Years
Local time
First Name
Mike
My Ride
The plastic housing on my turn signals was one reason that I replaced them. The other was they had a rubber boot and the construction was such that they always looked crooked. The turn signals I replaced them with are led.
Yes, I'm going to replace them with an upgrade of some sort eventually. They are the standard silver bullit type provided on the t120 bonneville classics. I was disappointed that they're made of plastic. I just wanted to get as bright a turn signal light as possible. Here in Arizona I use the "I am invisible to other drivers" defense, but I like to increase my odds with the brightest lights possible when out and about. This is the only state I know of where the drivers speed up when it starts raining. I guess to get home before their cars get too wet.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
Yes, I'm going to replace them with an upgrade of some sort eventually. They are the standard silver bullit type provided on the t120 bonneville classics. I was disappointed that they're made of plastic. I just wanted to get as bright a turn signal light as possible. Here in Arizona I use the "I am invisible to other drivers" defense, but I like to increase my odds with the brightest lights possible when out and about. This is the only state I know of where the drivers speed up when it starts raining. I guess to get home before their cars get too wet.
Motone makes some aluminum billet turn signals. I replaced mine with their products and I’m happy with the results. I think plastic was not a good choice, but it was a cost issue.

Houston traffic is no picnic either. LoL.

Last edited:

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 13:32
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I suggest replacing them rather than changing the bulbs.

aj7840

Riding for 64 Years
Local time
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2018 Bonneville T120
I would suggest rather than replace the turn signal bulbs add a set of running lights.
A triangular profile of lights with the headlight at the top. It is not a normal pattern of lights, it registers as something "weird" to the human mind. That is usually is enough to go from I didn't see him to "what the ****" is that. My unscientific study shows less people making a left turn in front of me! Quite often they move out of the way as I approach from the rear. (maybe it's the flashing red and blue - just kidding, they are white)

Iflybikes

Riding for 57 Years
Local time
First Name
Mike
My Ride
If anyone knows how to get those lenses off that would be a big help. I even tried a pair of channel locks with a cloth wrapped around the lens to keep it from getting damaged and twisted it clockwise which is what the Haines manual indicated. I could get some massive leverage but had to stop at the point where I knew (well, sensed) that any more and I’d be replacing the whole unit stalk and all. Either the Haines manual is mistaken on the method of removal or a special tool is needed, I don’t know. I tired, within limits, to get a screwdriver either into the “slot” at the bottom of the signal unit or force it into the seam between the lens and body of the signal. I was almost successful with the screwdriver into the slot popping the lens off, but it was not designed for not than just a drain and more force would have absolutely damaged the rather cheap plastic housing. The lens itself was much stronger than the housing plastic and it’s pretty clear that there wasn’t much, if any, thought put into DIY bulb replacement by an owner. It’s amazing how many components are so well designed, engineered and constructed while other components like this are clearly just an afterthought. Eventually I’ll replace them, but for now, if anyone knows how to get those lenses free from the housing without destruction…….

aj7840

Riding for 64 Years
Local time
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2018 Bonneville T120
From the owners manual it is counter clockwise

Street Cup, Thruxton, Thruxton R,
Bonneville T100 and Bonneville T120
Bulb Replacement

To replace the direction indicator light
bulb:
Carefully twist the lens anticlockwise
and remove from the indicator to gain
access to the bulb.

Gently press the bulb inwards and twist
anticlockwise. Replace with a new bulb.
Installation for the bulb is the reverse of
the removal procedure.
Caution
When installing the lens, make sure
that the locating tangs are correctly
aligned to the indicator body.
To install the indicator lens, align the
locating tangs with the indicator body
and twist anticlockwise to secure.

Iflybikes

Riding for 57 Years
Local time
First Name
Mike
My Ride
From the owners manual it is counter clockwise

Street Cup, Thruxton, Thruxton R,
Bonneville T100 and Bonneville T120
Bulb Replacement

To replace the direction indicator light
bulb:
Carefully twist the lens anticlockwise
and remove from the indicator to gain
access to the bulb.

Gently press the bulb inwards and twist
anticlockwise. Replace with a new bulb.
Installation for the bulb is the reverse of
the removal procedure.
Caution
When installing the lens, make sure
that the locating tangs are correctly
aligned to the indicator body.
To install the indicator lens, align the
locating tangs with the indicator body
and twist anticlockwise to secure.
ThankYou! The Haines manual had it opposite-clockwise! I just double checked to make sure I wasn’t crazy! The devil is absolutely in the details.

Iflybikes

Riding for 57 Years
Local time
First Name
Mike
My Ride
ThankYou! The Haines manual had it opposite-clockwise! I just double checked to make sure I wasn’t crazy! The devil is absolutely in the details.
I’m glad I have a sense of humor! Or I’d be feeling pretty stupid. My wife swears she suggested turning it counterclockwise.
“You did not!”
“Did so!”
“Did not!”

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
I’m glad I have a sense of humor! Or I’d be feeling pretty stupid. My wife swears she suggested turning it counterclockwise.
“You did not!”
“Did so!”
“Did not!”
Happens to most of us sometime. Yes, and my wife has also said similar and then I later go “duh”! LoL.

Iflybikes

Riding for 57 Years
Local time
First Name
Mike
My Ride
Finally figured it out: after replacing the turn signal bulbs with LEDs, I took a long ride and afterwards noticed the right rear lens along with the reflector, gasket and bulb were gone. Obviously I hadn’t twisted that lens on fully. Found a used one on eBay for less than the cost of the lens. The issue turned out to be the gasket, which looks plain and completely circular but has an almost unnoticeable bend that fits over about a 1.5 mm protrusion of unfathomable purpose at the bottom of the turn signal body. It made it impossible to completely twist the lens on (no screws just a twist fit) but after matching it all up the lens went on with a nice positive click. It’s the little things my friends that make you crazy and only patient observation can set it right. (Wish I had more of it:)

moparnut72

Riding for 56 Years
Local time
Today, 10:32
First Name
Karl
My Ride
Moto Guzzis Audace and V7lll Special.
Thanks for posting this. Good to know, I just got mine and have only a couple hundred miles on it. I had a Harley years ago that burned out rear taillight/signal bulbs on a regular basis.
kk

Iflybikes

Riding for 57 Years
Local time
First Name
Mike
My Ride
I can only guess that using a cheap twist fit instead of 2 screws saved them a few pennies per thousand bikes. It just seems wrong on such an otherwise premium motorcycle. I'm looking for ones on Ebay that can be retrofitted. I guess I'm a true bike fanatic. I've own and ridden motorcycles since I was a very very young lad. I don't like to see them get less than they deserve.(not to mention how much they cost)

moparnut72

Riding for 56 Years
Local time
Today, 10:32
First Name
Karl
My Ride
Moto Guzzis Audace and V7lll Special.
MY $20,000 Harley had snap on signal lens. Talk about super premium bikes with cheap parts. Harley is the poster child for that tactic. Exhaust shields are held on with hose clamps for Pete's sake. I have had my Triumph for only a couple of weeks but overall quality seems to be quite good. Compared to my Moto Guzzis better in some area not so much in others.
kk

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I replaced my stock turn signals on my
Tiger 800 after two years. Three of the four broke. I bought the replacements at Cycle Gear.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
I didn’t care for the “chromed” plastic on my Thruxton. Bought some billet aluminum aftermarket ones. I agree, a motorcycle like Triumph deserves better. It’s not hard mod to do. I suppose plastic is a savings, but adding a few hundred more wouldn’t be a deal breaker in my opinion.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom