Veglia Speedometer Tachometer Repair

MikeC

Local time
Today, 05:57
My Ride
1979 Bonneville T140e
hi,
Both of these devices (made in France) on my 79 T140e have their drive shaft stuck. I managed to split one of them while applying too much force trying to turn it. I've called a few places, (PaloAlto Speedo, and other) but they want $300 to fix one). Does anybody know of someone offering reasonable rates to fix these? Or are there manuals out there showing repair procedures?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 0
These shops advertise in the TIOC club magazine and seem to have a good reputation. That's all I know about them.
vintagebritishcables.com in Alberta, Canada and Smiths repair in Arlington Heights, IL scott@smithsgagerepair.com
$300.00 is pretty high alright, but none of them are going to be cheap.

There is a shop on Georgia, USA that repairs these clocks. He is good. reliable and his pricing is fair. Unfortunately, I am not at home and I don't remember the name.

That guy in Georgia is joel levine@ joellevinecompany.com. He might be pricey also, but i think everybody that does this type of work is.

My T140 spedo came apart so i am faced with getting it fixed, i am going to wait until i finish re-doing my bike and get over all the $ i have spent before i invest in my spedo.

That guy in Georgia is joel levine@ joellevinecompany.com. He might be pricey also, but i think everybody that does this type of work is.

Thanks, David; that is the guy. He does quality work and he stands behind his work.

While I have had nothing but success with Joel (over 40 meters overhauled), I have heard some negative stories since he moved his operation.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, it could have to do with the very typical confusion after a major move.

I called a few of these places and the best I got is about $400-500 to fix both. It frankly seems abusive. Managed to grind down 2 small studs keeping the plastic and metal frame together. Also got both ears pulled back on the retaining plate for the drive shaft but the shaft still won't come out.

The instrument repair is pricey to be sure.

I know Levine is lower than those figures.

My good friend does up motorcycle instruments as a profession, you might think that you are being gouged at times, but repairs are never the ten minute job you think they might be and what do you work for per hour. Then there are the parts required to fix an instrument, which with old bikes you might not be able to get the parts, so you may have to wreck another instrument to get the parts required for this job. Also when you hand back an instrument, the person will expect a warranty even if they only wanted a glass replaced as it was seemingly working Ok, so you need to pretty much do a full service and check on any job. If you are expecting someone to do the work you are not trained or capable of doing you need to pay for that persons time and expertise, same as getting a plumber or electrician in.

I agree.
I know Joel used to take people on a tour of his shop as a regular course of business, if they had never been there before. He'd explain everything involved in repairing AND testing EACH meter he worked on.

He had drawers and drawers filled with myriad tiny meter bits and the smallest lathe I have ever seen, to turn out one-offs that are no longer available.

He basically did a full rebuild, even if you only wanted a new needle, just so he could give you a full warranty. Anyway, I ALWAYS ordered full rebuilds, regardless of what the meters might or might not have needed. Peace of mind, you know...

Harper, I agree 100%. Good post.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom