Mike T

Riding for 31 Years
Local time
Today, 17:49
First Name
Mike Tebbutt
My Ride
Triumph thunderbird 1954
Hi, I’m looking for owners of Thunderbird’s from the 1950’s. I’ve recently become the owner of a 1954 model and would value a chat with other owners just to get ideas and ask a few questions when problems arise.
Thx Mike “T”

Twinpots

Riding for 58 Years
Local time
Today, 17:49
My Ride
67 T120
Apart from the obvious Triumph faults of excessive oil leaks etc. the only major problem I had with my pre unit Thunderbird was the engine sprocket became loose on its splines. As a17 year old impoverished engineering apprentice I tried woodruff key steel packing to shim it but predictably it ended with stripped splines on the crank. Replacement secondhand cranks were still available back then. Now I would probably have to have it spray welded and new splines machined. My advice, others may disagree, but even the slightest sign of a loose fitting engine sprocket slap plenty of Loctite on it, otherwise it could be a complete engine strip. A new sprocket may also help.
If you watch the Youtube Lowbrow series on Triumph engine assembly Todd recommends this method for the clutch centre splines. Just done this job on my 67 Bonni and yes the splines were quite loose so I used plenty of Loctite. Best of luck with the Thunderbird, wish I could own one again.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom