Local time
Today, 02:15
My Ride
Speed Twin
Speedmaster
Trek 830
Riding Since
198-something.
Who's using what aside from washing? The go-to in the States for the average Joe is Armor-All but that's basically just a slick coating that doesn't do much other than make your seat shiny and oily. I was thinking about maybe trying a marine vynyl seat treatment for boats but I figure I should probably check in here first.

Anyone?

Who's using what aside from washing? The go-to in the States for the average Joe is Armor-All but that's basically just a slick coating that doesn't do much other than make your seat shiny and oily. I was thinking about maybe trying a marine vynyl seat treatment for boats but I figure I should probably check in here first.

Anyone?
Good question! Personally, I avoid all Armor-all products, because the few I tried just put a "glimmer" on what it was applied to, and (in my opinion) no real protection.

Strangely this issue hasn’t popped up with my ride. Stays indoor when I’m not on it and so far only fair weather days. Following for suggestions.

I can't see any product nourishing vinyl, which is impervious.

It can clean it. Even vinyl has pores that dirt grease, stains, etc soak in. UV light will discolor and fade vinyl

It can clean it. Even vinyl has pores that dirt grease, stains, etc soak in. UV light will discolor and fade vinyl
Reducing fade would be good. I’m concerned some products actually begin degrade the material and it becomes sticky as it disintegrates.

Reducing fade would be good. I’m concerned some products actually begin degrade the material and it becomes sticky as it disintegrates.
I agree with you and have used a product that I believe did that very thing. I can't be sure it was that product because the vinyl was also exposed to the Florida sun.

For those unaware- Florida climate is absolutely BRUTAL on bikes. The mean temps, humidity and salt air wreak total havok on untreated metal surfaces, any metal. Even coated surfaces aren't safe.

I had a Harley down there for 10 years with as I learned far too much chrome than one should have in those conditions. To realistically combat the FL elements you need fully enclosed interior storage and the time to comprehensively detail your bike at a bare minimum of every other week… or the money to pay someone for that upkeep. Every week if you like lots of chrome.

For those unaware- Florida climate is absolutely BRUTAL on bikes. The mean temps, humidity and salt air wreak total havok on untreated metal surfaces, any metal. Even coated surfaces aren't safe.

I had a Harley down there for 10 years with as I learned far too much chrome than one should have in those conditions. To realistically combat the FL elements you need fully enclosed interior storage and the time to comprehensively detail your bike at a bare minimum of every other week… or the money to pay someone for that upkeep. Every week if you like lots of chrome.
And that interior storage must be air-conditioned.

And that interior storage must be air-conditioned.
Can't it just have a dehumidifier? Much cheaper to run/install.

For those unaware- Florida climate is absolutely BRUTAL on bikes
Well, there's the warm sunshine, blue skies and sea air in Florida.

We'd have much the same corrosion in a British winter, the rain, drizzle sleet, snow, salted roads would see to that.

Difference being, we'd be numb fingered and sodden under grey gloomy skies, a hibernating sun providing no comfort, not detailing a bike in shorts and Hawaiian shirt, sipping freshly-squeezed local orange juice.

We'd have much the same corrosion in a British winter, the rain, drizzle sleet, snow, salted roads would see to that.

Difference being, we'd be numb fingered and sodden under grey gloomy skies, a hibernating sun providing no comfort, not detailing a bike in shorts and Hawaiian shirt, sipping freshly-squeezed local orange juice.
Thank you for that picture! LoL. @solomon .

A large dehumidifier would work; but you would have to pipe the the water pan to a drain as the dehumidifier would have to run 24/7. A window unit ac dehumidifies and keeps the temperature down. It can get mighty warm in sealed room without ac and a dehumidifier adds to the heat.

Back in 99 when I bought my TRX 850 new a detailer recomended a product to me. I still have some as it was in a 1 litre bottle that I needed to cut open to get to the last of it. I purchased it at a crash repair supplier. In big letters on the front it claimed, No silica, No ammonia, and No silicon. My TRX seat is still like new and the plastic and vinyl on all my bikes look like new. The litre has lasted me all this time and I am anal about my bikes (usually running three at a time) I cant remember the name of the product but if you look for something that has similar qualities you can't go wrong.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom