Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 03:45
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
Well, this varies a great deal from person to person so you have to decide how much effort you want to put into it.
I'm totally anal about my bikes and keep them spotless.

Some of my friends spray their bikes with S100 and then hose it off - followed by either wiping it down or using some sort of compressed air to dry it.
I've never been one to deliberately hose down a bike for fear of forcing water into places it shouldn't be.
I use WD40 on the wheels and spokes to get the crap off - followed by a wipe-down with paper shop towel to get the remnants off.
I sit on a shop stool on wheels and go around the bike with a bucket of water and soft cloths and gently wipe it down.
Most any good auto polish works fine on the paint - well washed and dry first.
There are plenty of good chrome polishes too.

Chains don't need a lot of attention unless you ride in the dirt and rain a lot.
Other than that, regular oil and filter changes.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 02:45
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I do clean and lube my chain about every 400 miles. That said, I do ride off road and in the wet during our rainy season. I clean the chain with kerosene using a grunge brush. As for the bike, I wash it pretty much like a car except I rinse it carefully using water not under extra pressure - just as it flows out of the hose. I use Simple Green to take the grunge off of the spokes and rims.

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
Today, 08:45
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
I just hose it down then then use a bucket and soft cloth with normal washing soap for vehicles. Then I let it all dry off and take the same vehicle product polish and with another soft cloth do a bit of a polish on all the parts that would need it.

sikatri

Local time
Today, 01:45
My Ride
None at the moment
I just hose it down then then use a bucket and soft cloth with normal washing soap for vehicles. Then I let it all dry off and take the same vehicle product polish and with another soft cloth do a bit of a polish on all the parts that would need it.
I was thinking you’d tell me to take it the local pub for a wash! LoL. Been seeing that old picture set pop up. It’s actually what got me thinking about washing.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville

stagman

Riding for 31 Years
Local time
Today, 02:45
My Ride
2001 Sprint ST
I use a leaf blower to get all the excess water out, especially in all the nooks and crannies.
Makes toweling off the rest of the water so much easier. Do it on the cars too.
Of course the neighbours must think I'm nuts.
:)

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
Today, 08:45
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
I use a leaf blower to get all the excess water out, especially in all the nooks and crannies.
Makes toweling off the rest of the water so much easier. Do it on the cars too.
Of course the neighbours must think I'm nuts.
:)
This is a great idea never really thought about doing that.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 27 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
This is a great idea never really thought about doing that.
One of my buddies does the same thing with the leaf blower.
I'm retired and have the time so I do it the slow way and also get to examine the bike as I do it.

ChrisAnglophile

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
Today, 16:45
First Name
Chris
My Ride
T955i
Well, this varies a great deal from person to person so you have to decide how much effort you want to put into it.
I'm totally anal about my bikes and keep them spotless.

Some of my friends spray their bikes with S100 and then hose it off - followed by either wiping it down or using some sort of compressed air to dry it.
I've never been one to deliberately hose down a bike for fear of forcing water into places it shouldn't be.
I use WD40 on the wheels and spokes to get the crap off - followed by a wipe-down with paper shop towel to get the remnants off.
I sit on a shop stool on wheels and go around the bike with a bucket of water and soft cloths and gently wipe it down.
Most any good auto polish works fine on the paint - well washed and dry first.
There are plenty of good chrome polishes too.

Chains don't need a lot of attention unless you ride in the dirt and rain a lot.
Other than that, regular oil and filter changes.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
If it looks burn't on or on Alloy , that's lost its shine or coating, especially between fins and sumps, I prefer to do what Rocky uses and simple, give it a degeaser was and thumb on 7 psi water pressure, wide spray hose off. The let it dry in the Sun , then WD40 and rag down.
Do it in the morning , not at night.
Always with a Stone Cold Engine.
Think " how lucky am I ".

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Top Bottom