What Do You Think?

Ksquared

Speed Triple
Local time
Yesterday, 21:03
My Ride
2009 Red/Black R3T
While looking for something else, I came across the following article. What do you all think about the author's point?

Is the Era of the Motorcycle Over?

By FREDERICK SEIDEL
Published: November 5, 2011

ARE motorcycles passé? Are they sort of over? I ask as a rider of two-wheel Italian beauties that go very fast, gracefully streamlined subsonic technology from the Ducati factory in Bologna. I own two sport bikes and two racers. I ride racing motorcycles on the street. One of my motorcycles is capable of nearly 200 miles an hour. I write prose about motorcycles. I write poems about motorcycles.

So I ask with some authority. Are motorcycles — even superb and lovely Italian motorcycles from the land of Donatello and Bertolucci — being replaced as love objects, as arm candy, by other more contemporary show-off desirables?

Electronic ones. Mostly made by Apple.

The iPhone 4S, the iPad 2, the 11-inch and 13-inch thin, light MacBook Air computers — these are the sleek gorgeousness young people go on about, have to have, and do have, in the millions. These machines, famous for the svelte dignity of their designs — and of course, far less expensive than a motorcycle — are a lens to see the world through and to do your work on. It’s their operating speeds that thrill. Young people cut a bella figura on their electronic devices.

Now, of course, it is not just the young who buy Apple products. I lay emphasis on the young, particularly young men, because they are the ones who might otherwise be buying motorcycles, and aren’t, at least not at all in the numbers they did before the economic downturn. The great recession was disastrous for motorcycle sales around the country, especially, it seems, for sport bikes, the ones that perform with brio but have no practical point to make. In other words, they are not bikes to tour on, they are not a comfortable way for you and a companion — wife or partner or friend — to travel to work or to a distant campground. You can do it, but it’s not ideal. Young riders were not buying motorcycles of any kind, and especially, it seems, not sport bikes.

Or, to say it another way, it’s as if the recession induced a coma in all the potential new motorcyclists, and in so many of the already experienced motorcyclists, from which they woke changed, changed utterly, and found themselves standing in line outside an Apple store, patiently waiting to buy the latest greatness.

They are buying a slice of what Apple does — and how it does it — and how it looks doing it. They are buying function but, just as important, they are buying glamour. The device enhances the buyer’s sense of self. It helps the person think and at the same time not think. Once, not so long ago, motorcycles did the same thing.

In a few days, at the International Motorcycle Show in Milan, Ducati will introduce a radically new sport bike called the Panigale, after Borgo Panigale, the neighborhood on the outskirts of Bologna where the Ducati factory is. The Ducati people are being secretive about how the Panigale will look and how it will perform. But there have been spy photos of the bike being tested on the Mugello circuit, with the former World Superbike champion Troy Bayliss aboard, and plenty of rumors and speculation about the tech specs.

We know this much. It will make brave hearts beat faster. It will weigh less than its predecessor. It will have a new sort of frame. It will have an ingenious new exhaust system. It will handle. It will be fast. It will be beautiful. How many Ducati followers — the Ducatisti — will have to have one? Some.

Oh, for the days — not so long ago — when a boy’s world would have fallen to its knees before a new Ducati design.

In Dallas, at Advanced Motorsports, his motorcycle dealership, Jeff Nash, a gentleman and one of the great Ducati racebike tuners in America, and a racer himself, deplores the passivity of the young who would rather be home with their iPads playing computer games than astride the red-meat lightning of an 1198 Superbike blazing down a Texas highway making that unmistakable growling deep Ducati sound. Mr. Nash would go further.

Better to be out in the air astride just about any motorcycle alive!

Frederick Seidel is the author of the poetry collections â€oga-Booga†and, most recently, “Poems, 1959-2009.â€

We we sure know that the era of biking that we know is coming to an end. The new riders coming in now are just not we would see as bikers they seem all caught up in something different. I mean there is no longer this bond between bikers that we came to know years back, its all about me and how great I am now :y7:

Very true Dave, and interesting article Ksquared.

In my experience younger riders are more about the "look" but, hasn't that been the case before? The choppers of the 60's and 70's where not engineering marvels, they where "hey look at me" machines. Built and ridden by the "new riders" of that era. And (I would assume--though I was yet a wee annoyance in diapers at the time) The "old timers" with Excelssior Hendersons and early 50's model Harleys in the garage......looked upon them.... them with bell bottoms and "casket" gas tanks with concern......."there goes motorcycling!" I am certain at least 1 of them said.

I see young riders getting into the sport, and some, just as "into" the bikes --new or old-- just as willing to put RIDE and safety before "looks" as (shall I say it) us ---uhm----more mature riders.
But also the exception to that is the "BLING KING" as I like to call 'em. All about looks, no skills really doesn't even like to ride, just likes to tell people he does.
ANd still others-------UNBELIEVABLE AS IT IS in the late teens and early 20's who have never and don't ever even want to ride!!!!!! (Shock--horror)
It would require.....well.....moving.....which they do not like to do, unless its to get another Red Bull from the fridge so they can continue playing video games while texting and looking up girls on facebook all at the same time.....

Motorcycling ..over, NO a particular "era" of it, maybe. THe "finest era" of motorcycling-----could be over--- But so what? We all have our bikes, ride when and how we want. And as long as we, and others like us continue to do so, how can motorcycling ever die? Now on that note, I am goin for a ride. :y2:

I just think the new riders of today have missed out on the true aspects of biking that we had and I suppose still have today as it will never leave us

I think the sport may ebb some, especially as the baby boomers age and move on, but I don't think it will ever become passe.
But who really knows. Only time will tell.

Great thread! Great thread!

I really do fear for the future of motorcycling, as governments seem intent on wrapping us in cotton wool. Why; Man didn't make all his discoveries and achievements by sitting at home absorbed on social networking sites?!

Wow, I think I'm a New Age fillo...., filo, phillo, ...philosopher :y16:.

I never want to be selfish, but, and this is a big BUT, I honestly believe we live in the very best timeslot in the whole of human evolution! I'm totally serious:

• The World is not in great shape at the moment, but is it ever?
  • But we're not fighting World wars at the moment. Our fathers & grandfathers did. Be very grateful is my attitude.
  • We (just a couple of generations) have not yet been overwhelmed by the internet. Can you imagine how it's going to rule future generations' lives? I'd rather not think about it SAD.
  • We are probably the only couple of human generations ever who can go out and buy twin turbo motorcars and 200hp road legal superbikes :y2::y2:!
  • So why have I only got a 147 hp Superbike in the garage?
  • Well, I'm in my fifties :y13:. There are limits.
  • I truly believe that future generations, trundling round in self-driving electric transport devices, will look back at the bikers of the early 21st Century and view us as the luckiest, best positioned people, in the entire evolution of Humankind.
There, I've just written the most important words of my entire life and it looks good to me (not my words, but the period we live in) right now.

Imagine an eight year old in fifty years' time surfing the net and coming across a pic of a customised Speed Triple and asking:

Kid: "Daddy, what on earth is that?"

Dad: "Uh, hum. It was called a Speedy, I believe. They were dangerous, they were hooligan, so of course the governments of the world banned them so they ended up with Speed Triple prisons the World over, full of Speed Triple riders. Thank goodness, the World's a safer place now!"

Kid: "What's a rider?"

Motorcycle sales have increased in the USA so I don't think it's dwindling at all.

An din the summer I go to lots of bike nites seeing literally hundreds and hundreds of new young bikers.

Seems its up to us.........the riding faithful, to keep the sport alive :y2:

Motorcycling I don't see "going away". THough agreed DaveB the "nanny state" do gooder safety goons ---who claim they are saving us all--- certainly do TRY to squash it. But more people die from cigarettes than riding motorcycles, and while the "nanny state" post billboards and offers stop smoking literature for free to those who WANT to quit, they (the Govt.) really doesn't WANT you to quit......can you imagine the revenue LOSS in taxes if we all stopped (2005 figures claimed 13 BILLION nationally in tobacco taxes) , smoking, drinking, driving, riding, all the things that kill us, that the government taxes.....including dying, which is taxed, uhm.....sorry this has gone totally political and way off topic.........

Find a young person TODAY and extoll the virtues of riding, recruit recruit recruit I say, we must build the membership base before its too late!!!!!!!

Seriously I need mental help anyone on here know a good shrink???? :y10:

Good article and good thread. From my perspective, I am seeing more and more bikes on the roads and a huge increase in scooters.

Mae4a.jpg

Good article and good thread. From my perspective, I am seeing more and more bikes on the roads and a huge increase in scooters.

Mae4a.jpg
This is what I'm seeing too. Gas here is around $1.30 a litre and scooters have increased greatly the past few years.
There is now a dealer for electric scooters here too.

Electric scooters never seen any that I have noticed. I wonder what type of range something like that would have

Electric scooters never seen any that I have noticed. I wonder what type of range something like that would have
I don't know, but there are two right here in my neighbourhood. It's very odd to see a scooter coming down the street and pass by in complete silence :y13:
All you hear is a bit of a swish from the tires.

Lol I can just imagine do they seem to go ok from what you have seen

At the ripe old age of 24 I have only one friend close to my age that rides.....the rest are more interested in playing video games and being safe inside hidden away from the world.They think bikes are to dangerous and expensive......I may agree on the expensive part, the insurance companies sure don't make it cheap for a young person to get started riding. Most of the people my age who do ride consider 'a ride' to be going for a beer at a pub across town, try and get them to go on a real ride out of town and they have no interest, no one to look at them out there I guess :p Anytime I do any distance riding it was with my dad, by myself and now with my Uncle. I wish more younger people were into the sport but interest does seem to be pretty low among my age group :(

I remember at that age we only had bikes and to us if you wanted to go anywhere that was as how you did it regardless of the weather, ok but I must admit we don't get much snow this side.

Rbeans is right - younger people who ride today have more than likely grown up with bikes in a 'bike family'. Electric scooters? I don't know about in SA but loads of them in China apparently??

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom