JackNone

Riding for 8 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 22:31
First Name
Jack
My Ride
‘11 Thruxton 900
I Love the look of this bike, the profile of the tires look great, I’m guessing they’re dual sport of some kind. On a secondary note I was also looking for that seat, I’ve seen some that were close but no cigar. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 0B3DA3BA-541C-4DEE-B405-E33ED8CFFD01.jpeg

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC

ChrisAnglophile

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
Today, 12:31
First Name
Chris
My Ride
T955i
The tires are a dual sport. Go to a website like Bike Bandit, do a search for dual sport tires that will fit a Bonneville and compare the tread designs.

Call me old fashioned, but they look well over inflated and dangerous to ride on the bitumen.
Look more like a fire trail tyre.
Chris

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Call me old fashioned, but they look well over inflated and dangerous to ride on the bitumen.
Look more like a fire trail tyre.
Chris
These are dual sport tires. I would guess they are 70/30 (70% on road/30% off road) or possibly 60/40. They look similar to my Metzeler Karoo 3's. They look like they might be Shinko's. My 70/30's do very well on pavement, even in the wet. Yes, they great for fire trails.

ChrisAnglophile

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Chris
My Ride
T955i
These are dual sport tires. I would guess they are 70/30 (70% on road/30% off road) or possibly 60/40. They look similar to my Metzeler Karoo 3's. They look like they might be Shinko's. My 70/30's do very well on pavement, even in the wet. Yes, they great for fire trails.
I while ba k I put a shinko on the front of a Norton. It was OK in the Dry, but when it rain, wholly crap, it was a disaster. The front was just floating. Barely made it home in one piece
They sell lots of tyres now. Must have improved But would / won't I. !
Chris

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Shinko has definitely improved. I know several guys that use Shinko's and ride with one of them. Shinko did not have the sizes for my Tiger or I would have bought Shinko's.

Qship

Smile, you're on camera. Somewhere.
Riding for 38 Years
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 23:31
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
The seat looks like a custom recover if you ask me. There is many mods to this Bonnie and the only way the OP will find out about the seat is to try and talk to the builder/owner.

ChrisAnglophile

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Chris
My Ride
T955i
Shinko has definitely improved. I know several guys that use Shinko's and ride with one of them. Shinko did not have the sizes for my Tiger or I would have bought Shinko's.
Hi Carl.
I know it rains in Florida, from " Key Lagos" with Humphrey Bogart.
Humphrey's movies are all my favorite movies.
So if you and your mate are caught on " Long and Winding Road " (/ another song) in the Rain. Ask him are they OK.
That day is imprinted on my memory, as on went the Metzler asap.
Chris

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
The seat looks like a custom recover if you ask me. There is many mods to this Bonnie and the only way the OP will find out about the seat is to try and talk to the builder/owner.
I agree and there are many builders of custom seats out there.

Hi Carl.
I know it rains in Florida, from " Key Lagos" with Humphrey Bogart.
Humphrey's movies are all my favorite movies.
So if you and your mate are caught on " Long and Winding Road " (/ another song) in the Rain. Ask him are they OK.
That day is imprinted on my memory, as on went the Metzler asap.
Chris
Chris, it definitely rains in Florida - tropical rains! So far my buddy's Shinko's have done very well in the wet and he has ridden in some torrential rains. I have ridden in torrential rains with my Metzeler Karoo 3's and they did just fine. If you ride in Florida in the summertime, you will get wet sooner or later.

Qship

Smile, you're on camera. Somewhere.
Riding for 38 Years
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 23:31
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
Shinkos are one of the better dual sport tires for the money out there from everything I've read on them. Probably NOT the same tread pattern as ChrisAnglophile had on his bike and maybe it was when Shinko was new on the market and they WERE bad tires.

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Shinko has come a long way for sure.

ChrisAnglophile

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Chris
My Ride
T955i
Shinkos are one of the better dual sport tires for the money out there from everything I've read on them. Probably NOT the same tread pattern as ChrisAnglophile had on his bike and maybe it was when Shinko was new on the market and they WERE bad tires.
Carl and Q,
Shinko's had not been around to long, or knowing the bike shop (owner passed away sometime back, relatives raided it for the MONEY) owner, they were probable out of date Shinko. But short of cash at the time....ditto ....ditto....
They were there first generation and I had been told thy were not as good as Dunlop's...but they were cheap...
The old expression, if it looks as if its to cheap....a Barton, it probable is like Doctor John Beckers new TV. or Computer, its not, but it was not HOT! Never Gripped the Tarmac enough to get even Warm.....ha....ha...
Chris

JackNone

Riding for 8 Years
Local time
First Name
Jack
My Ride
‘11 Thruxton 900
Thanks everyone for the responses, the picture I found was on the dimecitycycles website so I e-mailed them and asked. Turns out the are Metzeler Karoo3’s which are a 50/50 tire. The riding I do is closer to 80/20 so those were way too aggressive. I ended up going with Metzeler Karoo Street 140/80-R17 in the rear, and because they don’t have that style in 18” rim I went with the Shinko 705 120/80-18. In case anyone was wondering those tire sizes fit my stock Thruxton rims just fine. They feel good off the road and on.DF0DB28B-5ED9-4871-975E-874AB8F9C084.png03E08B77-2BFE-417C-AEA5-8855633626ED.jpeg

Top Bottom