1978 Triumph Bonneville T140 restoration attempt

KevHedges

Local time
Today, 14:07
First Name
Kev Hedges
My Ride
Victory hammerS, TriumphTiger 800
Hi to all you restorers bought Bonnie in boxes and been restoring for a while (seems like a lifetime ) I do enjoy it though, not so much in winter, only just joined site will put in some pics unfortunately they are a bit hit and miss as kept forgetting to take them.Regret that now.
Not so good at the technology so seem to have one pic here and then as attachment, think have it right. Other pic is where I put the bike together with a bit of cleaning it looks much better than it actually was (pre engine work). As I was doing this realised the pics were all over the place will have to sort them out and post later
Kev

DSC00598.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

Welcome Kev to TT from Australia. I am in the process of restoring a 79 special. Will look forward to seeing how yours turns out.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Welcome, Kev.

That's a proper start, straight in with some pix.

Kev, thanks for the post and the pics. I look forward to following your progress.

Good luck mate you will be ridding in no time

Managed to find the limited pics I have so this is the story to date.

Engine nice and clean after complete breakdown and rebuild, was in pretty good nick replaced valve guides, all bearings, new piston rings +40, sludge trap not really bunged up so the engine has had work done in the not too distant past. Rebuilt carbs, new primary drive chain, looked at belt drive but bit expensive and no idea at the time of rebuild cost. 7 plate clutch (which feels really good). Frame was powder coated. 2nd pic is removing front end to start on that. Bike looks fairly clean as did major clean up before I started. Sorry no pics of engine rebuild, spent hours watching Lunmads video of his engine rebuild on YouTube

Front wheel off bearings replaced, right hand one was a real B***** Hub was bashed about a bit but looks not too bad after clean and polish, rims are original Dunlops bit pitted but decided to keep them. Went for upgrade on the brakes with Norman Hyde 12" floating disc and stainless steel brake lines.
Kev

Attachments

• 3 engine nice and clean after rebuild.jpg
    3 engine nice and clean after rebuild.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 4 Taking front off engine cleaned restored.jpg
    4 Taking front off engine cleaned restored.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 5 Front wheel for refurb.jpg
    5 Front wheel for refurb.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 6 12 inch foating disc.jpg
    6 12 inch foating disc.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 7 Front wheel done.jpg
    7 Front wheel done.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 71
I managed to combine the text portion with the photos.

Looking good!

Nice; good progress. Thanks for the pics.

9 Rear wheel done.jpg8 Rear wheel  SSteel brake line.jpg10 rear sproket.jpg
Rear wheel complete new bearings etc, stainless steel brake hose, fitted 45 tooth sprocket standard is 47 nearly went for a 43 not sure if it will make much
difference.
11 External oil filter.jpg12 External oil filter 2.jpg
Have fitted external oil filter kept the gauze filter as well. Currently re-wiring then have to pick petrol tank, I have US and UK tanks. Just finished treating them with caustic soda then spirit of salts after reading article on internet much cheaper than kit, not sure if I am going to seal them most likely drain then put in some ACF50 for the winter.
13 Both petrol tanks.jpg
Both tanks the US one is very good the UK one needs repainting.
Thats it untill I finish rewiring!
Kev

Thanks for the pics. TUP TUP

I believe the correct brake hose is a simple, short, male-to-male bit that screws straight in to the master cylinder, then makes a gentle "s" bend to the caliper that must be screwed onto the hose before its bolted to the bike. That one will work, but is just waiting to get hung on something and cause trouble.

Great progress, keep it up!

Yes it does stick out a bit, I have the original hose this is a purpose built SS hose from Norman Hyde but think I have it on wrong, I haven't got around to it yet as the repro rear mudguard (came in the boxes with the bike) was absolutely rubbish, had to bin it. I did have the original ones so have had them blasted and repainted black, they look nice but tank is black as well so might be a bit lacking in shiny things. Will post a pic shortly just finishing rewiring.
Kev

Looking good !

After getting used to the look of my drum brakes, those disks look funny to me. :D

Great progress TUP

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom