Sundance

Local time
Today, 17:55
First Name
Brian
My Ride
formerly Bultaco Pursang and 2009 BMW K1300S
1971 T100C Refresh

I came upon this 1971 T100C in a serendipitous way. With a little coaxing, and the permission of the owner, I got it started and took it for a brief spin. It had been sitting for awhile in his outbuilding. It followed me home (on a trailer) so it is now mine, at least for a bit.

There is an interesting back story to this bike that I am still discovering, but includes at least an association with the Pagans MC in the early 70’s.

It seems to be original, except for a Boyer ignition (still have the original parts), the exhaust system (I thought these had high pipes), it is missing turn signals and side reflectors (if it had them?), and I’m not sure there is anything else different from original. With a bit of tinkering it started right up, shifted properly and idled mildly. Compared to my 750, I can see why these were/are desirable bikes, enough power and easy to ride.

Engine and frame numbers match: XE 06741 T100C

I’d appreciate any information as you take a look at the photos about what seems to be original versus other on the bike. I’ll get some better photos up once I give it a wash and decide what to do with it. I think the tires are original too. Extremely low mileage. Thanks for any interest.

IMG_3517.jpegIMG_3519.jpegIMG_3523.jpegIMG_3524.jpeg

For a 51 year old bike, it still looks a youngster.

the signals started in 1972. the bike came with fold up front foot rest pegs and a steering dampner knob. my 1970 also had a skid plate under the motor as it was supposed to be used on trails sometimes. one carb and it had rubber kneepads on the gas tank sides. the pipes were 2 on the left side upswept with a heat cage and 2 mufflers. mine was stolen XD35051,, anyway it came from Canada and when i registered it i guessed on the weight at 295 lbs to save on insurance which probably i could not do today but it was in the 1970;s.. The 73 exhaust pipes on the daytona were different as the clamp made pipe swell up inside the head instead of clamping onto the threaded head exhaust minipipes. i now own a 72 with electronic ignition and a high compression motor which makes it a pain to start up, but once it does fire up,WQW! My 1970 i could kick start it sitting down but not with my 72.. -WOW!

My 71 didn't have turn signals. You have correct alloy fenders. There seemed to be a difference in West Coast and East Coast bikes. The correct pipes are (if memory serves) 2:1 pipes mounted on left side and high. Single down tube frame and mine had a oil lube drip system to keep the chain lubed and some magneto type (no battery) ignition that would start in the dead of winter in Wisconsin. Knobby tires too. Loved that bike as it was shorter than the TR-6 and sailed on the sandy dunes of Lake Michigan like a jet Ski. Lighter by 150+ pounds then the 900 series of 2013 vintage Hinkley years.

Like the latest photos! That single clock brought back a happy memory. You see I used to cut through a construction companies private dirt road to get my girl friends house. Saved a few blocks but the owner must of gotten tired of some of us using his short cut. One night I was zooming down the road and my weak head light barely picked out a cable across the exit. I slammed front and rear brakes hard and the cable just caught the single speedo clock and bent it up almost exactly like the future Hinkley bikes gauges. I liked the look so much I left it bent upwards so I guess you could say I invented the modern Triumph facia look!

Like the latest photos! That single clock brought back a happy memory. You see I used to cut through a construction companies private dirt road to get my girl friends house. Saved a few blocks but the owner must of gotten tired of some of us using his short cut. One night I was zooming down the road and my weak head light barely picked out a cable across the exit. I slammed front and rear brakes hard and the cable just caught the single speedo clock and bent it up almost exactly like the future Hinkley bikes gauges. I liked the look so much I left it bent upwards so I guess you could say I invented the modern Triumph facia look!
JerryP, what a great story! It is quite cool how the stuff we share on a forum like this can evoke so many feelings and memories. That said, putting a cable across the road was a nasty attempt to stop you from having a bit of fun. Glad you survived!

My stolen 1970 was a T100C, my present bike is a '72 Daytona all hopped up hi-compression racing motor with electronic ignition. i may have to sell it because it is hard for me (71 year old man) Next is to repaint the fenders. What i loved about my old 70 Trophy T100C was the stainless steel fenders. What is the value of my locking gascap i bought a long time ago and the Skid pan that protected the bottom of my mtrophy motor. i took it off to change the oil and never put it back on....Thanks
71. ClassicBike dot biz website -> Triumph ->Brochures -> 1971 -> Trophy 500. Also 71 500 parts book, pages 78/79.

All Triumph and BSA fitted with turn signals from 71.

If a T100C, only first titled in 72? Last T100C built in 71, model replaced by the TR5T from 73.
sorry Rudie i did own a 70 T100C I now own a 72 Daytona 500 which is not a T100C I do remember the 73TR5T as triumph's attempt to make the trophy into a better dirt bike. .Not many sold or probably made.

The "Cycle World" article is 'of its time'. The two paragraphs before it are very confused ...
Rudie, yes, the first 2 paragraphs seem inaccurate and leaves one wondering what that was all about!

Nice survivor!

Mufflers are not original, monobloc carb is not original.

Nice survivor!

Mufflers are not original, monobloc carb is not original.
Thanks Rudie. Got it on both. I know that the originals were the high pipes, which I am looking for. As the carb is working find I'll plan to leave as is for now.

Thanks Rudie. Got it on both. I know that the originals were the high pipes, which I am looking for. As the carb is working find I'll plan to leave as is for now.
Sorry, I missed that, I've been super busy...

My stolen 1970 was a T100C, my present bike is a '72 Daytona all hopped up hi-compression racing motor with electronic ignition. i may have to sell it because it is hard for me (71 year old man) Next is to repaint the fenders. What i loved about my old 70 Trophy T100C was the stainless steel fenders. What is the value of my locking gascap i bought a long time ago and the Skid pan that protected the bottom of my mtrophy motor. i took it off to change the oil and never put it back on....Thanks

sorry Rudie i did own a 70 T100C I now own a 72 Daytona 500 which is not a T100C I do remember the 73TR5T as triumph's attempt to make the trophy into a better dirt bike. .Not many sold or probably made.
i meant to say hard for me to kick over the motor to start it.

i wanted to add that my bike is very hard to start due to the high compression. i tried to add that in my last "talk". On my 1970 t100c i added the tach to the lonely speedometer. It was worth it.

i wanted to add that my bike is very hard to start due to the high compression. i tried to add that in my last "talk". On my 1970 t100c i added the tach to the lonely speedometer. It was worth it.
Meathead, my T100C is quite nice to start - that is it seems quite easy to kick over. I also think I'm fortunate that the stainless fenders on my bike are still quite shiny and smooth - add to the great looks.

I sure wish Triumph or Aftermarket would make stainless fenders for the modern Street Scrambler as I do remember my first T100C they called "Jack Pine". Seem I asked the Dealer to order me a Triumph but what came in was a "Thunderbird" with the underseat panels. Looking around the dealership, in a corner was a '66 T100C. Love at first sight. BRG, true knobby tires, single clock and carb, 2:1 pipes. and of course stainless fenders. I read somewhere the fenders were different on West vs. East coast. I'm 77 and now ride the '22 SS and like how EZ it starts and rides.

I sure wish Triumph or Aftermarket would make stainless fenders for the modern Street Scrambler as I do remember my first T100C they called "Jack Pine". Seem I asked the Dealer to order me a Triumph but what came in was a "Thunderbird" with the underseat panels. Looking around the dealership, in a corner was a '66 T100C. Love at first sight. BRG, true knobby tires, single clock and carb, 2:1 pipes. and of course stainless fenders. I read somewhere the fenders were different on West vs. East coast. I'm 77 and now ride the '22 SS and like how EZ it starts and rides.
The new Street Scrambler is a nice looking bike! I’ve thought one of the modern Triumphs might be a good choice with he modern accessories, etc. I did a rebuild of a 1967 Bonneville into a sort of scrambler/desert sled bike, and I have another thread on this forum that chronicles my build. I’m still running the engine in and hoping that I can cure a minor oil leak since the engine was totally rebuilt. I found some aluminum fenders for this bike that look pretty good. I’m finding this T100C I have is a bit more comfortable to ride.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom