Alternator Inspection Cover

Gamecio

Local time
Today, 02:30
My Ride
1968 Triumph Bonneville T120R
Does anyone have any "tricks" to remove a stuck Alternator Inspection Cover. I need to time my 68 Bonneville and after removing the 3 screws, the cover will not move. I've tried tapping sideways in the screw hole with a brass punch, cooling the cover with ice cubes and heating the surrounding primary cover with a heat gun. Nothing has helped so far. I'd rather not have to remove the primary cover for obvious reasons. I've thought about tapping the cover out from the inside but haven't come up with a workable way to accomplish this. I've also thought of using a suction cup to pull it off but the one that I have didn't work.
It seems like that cover should be loose once the screws are removed but this one is a very tight fit and will not move in any direction. Any suggestions anyone?

One possibility is it's been stuck on with gasket goo, possibly instead of a proper gasket. Unfortunately, whoever designed the cover at Triumph forgot the old saying about foolproof being impossible because fools are so ingenious, so didn't allow for a way of pulling off a stuck cover. I've been able to start covers unsticking levering gently on thin, small flat-blade screwdrivers between alternator and primary covers - this is the sort of job I save the small screwdriver sets in Christmas crackers for.

Does anyone have any "tricks" to remove a stuck Alternator Inspection Cover. I need to time my 68 Bonneville and after removing the 3 screws, the cover will not move. I've tried tapping sideways in the screw hole with a brass punch, cooling the cover with ice cubes and heating the surrounding primary cover with a heat gun. Nothing has helped so far. I'd rather not have to remove the primary cover for obvious reasons. I've thought about tapping the cover out from the inside but haven't come up with a workable way to accomplish this. I've also thought of using a suction cup to pull it off but the one that I have didn't work.
It seems like that cover should be loose once the screws are removed but this one is a very tight fit and will not move in any direction. Any suggestions anyone?
Acetone with a Junkies Needle will do or a New ones even better, ask a Nurse from the smallest size.
Push it in and put a little bit every where, by doing many holes. The Needle wont last long as the rubber seal will swell pretty Quick. So make the holes in Advance with said needle.
Try not to go all the way through as you will push into Sump Air.
If its been sealed without a Gasket , then there's no gap , so just put a bit of Acetone on and try using a Feeler Gauge to poke a bit out at a time.

If all else fails.
Get a Gasket and a piece of plate. Use gasket to centre punch steel. Drill 1/4" holes, weld bar or bolts in plate.
Weld 1" bar on plate and just force turn it or belt it with a hammer.

Unfortunately , you cannot take the timing side cover off without taking off the advance retard first.
Theme the Brakes !

One possibility is it's been stuck on with gasket goo, possibly instead of a proper gasket. Unfortunately, whoever designed the cover at Triumph forgot the old saying about foolproof being impossible because fools are so ingenious, so didn't allow for a way of pulling off a stuck cover. I've been able to start covers unsticking levering gently on thin, small flat-blade screwdrivers between alternator and primary covers - this is the sort of job I save the small screwdriver sets in Christmas crackers for.
Rudie,
Thanks for the reply, it could be that someone used some liquid gasket sealer but the cover is so tight around the edges that it seems like the cover is a bit too large for the opening. I have no idea how this could be (possibly a cover from a later year?) but I have to deal with what I have. I may try that tiny screwdriver idea and I like the feeler gauge idea (which I hadn't thought of) from the next responder, that would at least give me an indication of a possible gap. I have some nice picks with sharp bent over ends that I may be able to work in behind the cover at the screw holes and maybe be able to develop some wiggle room from there. I also visited my local hardware store this morning and bought a suction cup approx. the size of the cover. I'm hoping that a quick yank on the suction cup might be enough to move it a little so that I can get a pick behind it.
I understand that there are fools out there and there is also something called sloppiness. The bike that I just purchased is aesthetically beautiful, everything seems to be right so why would a professional motorcycle mechanic and restorer who took such care in the aesthetics of the bike not replace a worn out auto advance unit? He disconnected the springs from the bobweights thus allowing the timing to be totally advanced once the engine starts spinning. If he couldn't find the parts he could have just installed EI as I have done. He actually told me that "no expense was spared" in the restoration and he gave me the receipts for thousands and thousands of dollars in parts. What's a couple of hundred more to make it right? It makes no sense to me but that is the way it is. He did seem to be a bit of a stickler for keeping things original so maybe he just couldn't bring himself to install EI and change the wiring etc., but what good is a bike that doesn't run?
Oh well, its my turn to make it as right as possible, so that is my attempt.

Rudie,
Thanks for the reply, it could be that someone used some liquid gasket sealer but the cover is so tight around the edges that it seems like the cover is a bit too large for the opening. I have no idea how this could be (possibly a cover from a later year?) but I have to deal with what I have. I may try that tiny screwdriver idea and I like the feeler gauge idea (which I hadn't thought of) from the next responder, that would at least give me an indication of a possible gap. I have some nice picks with sharp bent over ends that I may be able to work in behind the cover at the screw holes and maybe be able to develop some wiggle room from there. I also visited my local hardware store this morning and bought a suction cup approx. the size of the cover. I'm hoping that a quick yank on the suction cup might be enough to move it a little so that I can get a pick behind it.
I understand that there are fools out there and there is also something called sloppiness. The bike that I just purchased is aesthetically beautiful, everything seems to be right so why would a professional motorcycle mechanic and restorer who took such care in the aesthetics of the bike not replace a worn out auto advance unit? He disconnected the springs from the bobweights thus allowing the timing to be totally advanced once the engine starts spinning. If he couldn't find the parts he could have just installed EI as I have done. He actually told me that "no expense was spared" in the restoration and he gave me the receipts for thousands and thousands of dollars in parts. What's a couple of hundred more to make it right? It makes no sense to me but that is the way it is. He did seem to be a bit of a stickler for keeping things original so maybe he just couldn't bring himself to install EI and change the wiring etc., but what good is a bike that doesn't run?
Oh well, its my turn to make it as right as possible, so that is my attempt.
Screwdriver as a Wedge will cause damage to inner and outer cover. And will at some stage remove the cover, but at what cost.
Any chemical than can break the seal is a good thing. Go to Car Auto shop and read all the instructions on what not to use , that will stop the gasket grip. For all you know , because you didn't put the bike together. It could simple be a type of Grease used on both sides of the Gasket , that has gone super hard and strong.
I don't think and heat should be used , it will just damage seals and possible gears.
Even try Rapping around a lot of paper tap and a Adjustable Circlip , might work.
The chemical option , is to get the Acetone to run along the aluminum.
A combination of these and it will just crack off and you will be wondering what all the Fuss was about.
Eventually the restored is more expensive than the bike is worth.
If you want a Brand New Classic bike , The Norvil motorcycle company can build you a Norton Commando , all from new made in Taiwan and China. Or there are other companies doing the same with other make in England.
Then there's Royal Enfield , make you a 1945 350 or 500 cc bike , using the same foundary and Tooling , as they have been doing since 1947. All built by Hand. !!!

After closer inspection, I believe that Grey Gasket Maker was used on the inspection cover so I will try to dissolve it with some Brake Kleen and or Acetone. Have gotten a pick behind the cover at the screw holes and pulled on it with no resulting movement. Any other thoughts appreciated.

After closer inspection, I believe that Grey Gasket Maker was used on the inspection cover so I will try to dissolve it with some Brake Kleen and or Acetone. Have gotten a pick behind the cover at the screw holes and pulled on it with no resulting movement. Any other thoughts appreciated.
Yes this is Gasket Cement.
Usually reserved for Crankcases.
Its tough , as a cement , it is made to Bond the parts together.
Its Oil Resistant,
If you use brake fluid, as a oil it will mask all other chemicals and Acetates' won't work.

Yes this is Gasket Cement.
Usually reserved for Crankcases.
Its tough , as a cement , it is made to Bond the parts together.
Its Oil Resistant,
If you use brake fluid, as a oil it will mask all other chemicals and Acetates' won't work.
Gave up. The supposed "easy way" was not working so removed the Primary Cover and pushed the Rotor Cover out from the inside. It came out fairly easily with a bit of pressure but turned into more of a job than I had anticipated and much more of a job than it should have been. So a five minute job turned into a 2 day job as new gaskets need to be acquired and installed and fresh oil added. Then, hopefully I'll be able to get this thing timed which was the original intent. Thanks for the assistance.

Gave up. The supposed "easy way" was not working so removed the Primary Cover and pushed the Rotor Cover out from the inside. It came out fairly easily with a bit of pressure but turned into more of a job than I had anticipated and much more of a job than it should have been. So a five minute job turned into a 2 day job as new gaskets need to be acquired and installed and fresh oil added. Then, hopefully I'll be able to get this thing timed which was the original intent. Thanks for the assistance.
Always use new gaskets, unless 'O' Rings.
Its not anyone's fault , but the governments , that there expensive.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom