Colour code

stevethelondoner

Local time
Today, 08:23
Hey Guys hope ya Christmas season is doing well.

Have a question for ya'll, got a PM from a fella out in Chicargo that loves the colour of me bike and asked where I had it done. Told him I got it stock, so was wondering if there is a colour code on the bikes somewhere that I could give him. Anybody know of where that would be if there is. Thinking it may be under the seat.

Ride safe merry Christmas and Happy new year to ya

Blimey its a bit of a toss up which one. All I know is its called Mulberry red I believe. Cheers Dave :y18:

Ride Safe

Hi, I know this thread was started some time ago (I haven't been a member for long) but I can shed some light on this colour. Mulberry red is Cardinal red applied over Graphite grey basecoat. Cardinal is a candy red (transluscent) so not a true colour on its own - Triumph actually apply it over Aluminium basecoat and then call it Cardinal. Applying it over Graphite gives the darker colour Mulberry.
Rob.

Hi, I know this thread was started some time ago (I haven't been a member for long) but I can shed some light on this colour. Mulberry red is Cardinal red applied over Graphite grey basecoat. Cardinal is a candy red (transluscent) so not a true colour on its own - Triumph actually apply it over Aluminium basecoat and then call it Cardinal. Applying it over Graphite gives the darker colour Mulberry.
Rob.

Interesting; I did not know that. Thanks for information.

That's the problem with a lot of factory paint schemes now - colour over a base to achieve the right shade.
They look great of course, but you can't just buy paint and match the colour unless you know exactly how the bike was painted at the factory.

I'm afraid thats true - but at least they use existing colours from their range of bikes to produce these effects. We (Dream Machine Ltd UK) painted all Triumph flame and tribal schemes for them - very busy time a few years back. Triumph themselves do not have the time to spend on doing relatively short production runs such as custom paintwork.
Rob.

Interesting information.

Hi Rob. Just purchased a 2013 1200 Tiger XC. I would like to know the color code of the matte green but also what type/color base was used.
Since you stated you paint for Triumph I thought you'd be the man I ask.
Thanks much,
Chris

Hi Rob. Just purchased a 2013 1200 Tiger XC. I would like to know the color code of the matte green but also what type/color base was used.
Since you stated you paint for Triumph I thought you'd be the man I ask.
Thanks much,
Chris

Hi Chris, I don't work there anymore but the paint code for khaki green is HF - all green colours begin with the letter H. Not sure what type of basecoat this is - polyester or acrylic - then overcoated with matte lacquer. Hope this helps, Rob.

I tried the wiki link but wouldnt load.I could use some info on a 72 Tiger.I know its pacific blue.Thanks in advance

Found the paint code for the Pacific blue.PACIFIC BLUE DUPONT BEC 1954 T3120300-JI.Dont know if its rite.Was there a base coat for a certain effect?

Found the paint code for the Pacific blue.PACIFIC BLUE DUPONT BEC 1954 T3120300-JI.Dont know if its rite.Was there a base coat for a certain effect?

Hi Doug,
JI is the Triumph paint code for Pacific Blue - all the blue Triumph colours begin with the letter 'J'. This paint is the basecoat, sprayed directly over primer and then lacquered, nothing else needed.
Hope this helps, Rob.

Hi Doug,
JI is the paint code for Pacific Blue - all blue Triumph colours start with 'J'.
This is the basecoat, sprayed over primer and then then lacquered - nothing else needed.
Hope this helps, Rob.

Also on the white design is there a like a stencil or anything to go by

Also on the white design is there a like a stencil or anything to go by
Sorry, but I can't help you with the white as it's probably not a current colour - unlike Pacific blue which is (although I can't say that was definitely the blue used on a '72 Tiger - you provided that colour code). '72 Bonnies were painted with Cold white (don't know colour code, or even if there were codes then), so maybe Tigers of that year used the same? The only whites' I used were Fusion white (also called Opal white) - colour code NF, and Ivory - NE.
Stencils were used to define where colours would start/finish - usually a template that would line up with an edge of the tank or screws holes where the badge attached. Just looking at old photos should give you enough info to do it yourself.
Rob.

Not that I'm buildin a show bike but is the pacific blue from DuPont pretty close

Not that I'm buildin a show bike but is the pacific blue from DuPont pretty close
If you think or know that Pacific Blue was the original colour for your bike, (I don't know, only going on the info you supplied), then DuPont's paint is good to go. DuPont supplied most of the base colours (including Pacific Blue) used by Triumph at the time I was working with them (for Dream Machine).
Have you looked at any info online for the correct colour of your bike for the year it was produced?

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom