Decisions Decisions ..

no more HD

Local time
Today, 10:11
First Name
Wendell
My Ride
2011 harley davidson heritage classic softail. for now ..
Well I am at the point of uncertainty.. you know when you are tring to weigh the pros and cons of one or more products and your finding it difficult to find the best one for YOU .. to ultimately just to make a good decision. Well, this is where I am and what this rant is about . So perhaps you have some insight on such things.. or have a different perspective of how to figure it out? I am drawn to the 2020 Suzuki V-strom 1050 XT and most recently the 2020 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC. I think the Suzuki is going to have a more comfortable seat on the long haul, If it doesn't leave me feeling pigion holed into a fix position.. the Suzuki engines are touted to be bullet proof and have been around a long time . On the other hand from what I have researched BMW has ownership of Triumph these days... and if that is correct then the old saying of " You can't beat German engineering" may come into play... I'm seeing Triumph to be more expensive, but they seem to employ higher quality components like: forks, shocks, and brakes. I have never had or ridden a Triumph, but I know they have been around a long time.. but then so has Suzuki. When I was in my mid to late twenties I had , and really liked my Suzuki DRZ's .. I had a 400 and later a 650. I think they were near a 2004 vintage. But what I am looking at now is an entirely different animal. ( I am now 47 and no longer desire the tight ,hard core trail rides. ) I have sat on both the V-strom 1050 and the 1200 scrambler XC but not had the opportunity to ride them.. I went to the Triumph website and " configured" an XC 1200 scrambler with the add-ons I wanted and came up with a $14,866.00 motorcycle.. meanwhile the 2020 Suzuki V-strom XT has an MSRP of $14,799.00 . Well after using my trusty calculator .. I feel quite foolish .. Because it is telling me the Triumph as I described here is only $67 more than the Suzuki.. I think the next step is a test drive... I guess it's the only way I really will know. Thanks for reading my rambling rant, I hope if nothing else it gave you a chuckle or maybe you could relate to it ,or both..

BMW owning Triumph? What a wild rumor! :y46:

After considering your funding, a test ride is really the best deciding factor.

Well I am at the point of uncertainty.. you know when you are tring to weigh the pros and cons of one or more products and your finding it difficult to find the best one for YOU .. to ultimately just to make a good decision. Well, this is where I am and what this rant is about . So perhaps you have some insight on such things.. or have a different perspective of how to figure it out? I am drawn to the 2020 Suzuki V-strom 1050 XT and most recently the 2020 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC. I think the Suzuki is going to have a more comfortable seat on the long haul, If it doesn't leave me feeling pigion holed into a fix position.. the Suzuki engines are touted to be bullet proof and have been around a long time . On the other hand from what I have researched BMW has ownership of Triumph these days... and if that is correct then the old saying of " You can't beat German engineering" may come into play... I'm seeing Triumph to be more expensive, but they seem to employ higher quality components like: forks, shocks, and brakes. I have never had or ridden a Triumph, but I know they have been around a long time.. but then so has Suzuki. When I was in my mid to late twenties I had , and really liked my Suzuki DRZ's .. I had a 400 and later a 650. I think they were near a 2004 vintage. But what I am looking at now is an entirely different animal. ( I am now 47 and no longer desire the tight ,hard core trail rides. ) I have sat on both the V-strom 1050 and the 1200 scrambler XC but not had the opportunity to ride them.. I went to the Triumph website and " configured" an XC 1200 scrambler with the add-ons I wanted and came up with a $14,866.00 motorcycle.. meanwhile the 2020 Suzuki V-strom XT has an MSRP of $14,799.00 . Well after using my trusty calculator .. I feel quite foolish .. Because it is telling me the Triumph as I described here is only $67 more than the Suzuki.. I think the next step is a test drive... I guess it's the only way I really will know. Thanks for reading my rambling rant, I hope if nothing else it gave you a chuckle or maybe you could relate to it ,or both..
1. BMW owning Triumph is hilarious! I don't know where in the world you heard that; but it is totally false. Triumph is a privately owned company resurrected and owned by John Bloor who bought the rights to the old Triumph company. BMW is a competitor.

I appreciate your dilemm. It hard to decide on the right bike. My advice is to follow your heart. Don't worry about the seat. I have never had a stock seat that I did not have to modify or replace in 62 years of riding. Follow your heart and not your butt.

BMW owning Triumph? What a wild rumor! :y46:

After considering your funding, a test ride is really the best deciding factor.
thankyou for your thoght about the test ride . as for the BMW owning Triumph I got that impression when I googled "Triumph '' on wikipeidia

1. BMW owning Triumph is hilarious! I don't know where in the world you heard that; but it is totally false. Triumph is a privately owned company resurrected and owned by John Bloor who bought the rights to the old Triumph company. BMW is a competitor.

I appreciate your dilemm. It hard to decide on the right bike. My advice is to follow your heart. Don't worry about the seat. I have never had a stock seat that I did not have to modify or replace in 62 years of riding. Follow your heart and not your butt.
Thank you CarlS . I think my heart says for 67 dollars and better quality components , less top heavy feel, power , and retro styled cool factor ... "TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 1200 XC" but I also belive a test ride should be had to cement the idea.

Thank you CarlS . I think my heart says for 67 dollars and better quality components , less top heavy feel, power , and retro styled cool factor ... "TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 1200 XC" but I also belive a test ride should be had to cement the idea.
I agree completely. TUP

thankyou for your thoght about the test ride . as for the BMW owning Triumph I got that impression when I googled "Triumph '' on wikipeidia
"The rights to the Triumph marque are currently owned by BMW, who purchased the Rover Group in 1994." sorry I must have missunderstood this quote when I read it on wikipedia.

"The rights to the Triumph marque are currently owned by BMW, who purchased the Rover Group in 1994." sorry I must have missunderstood this quote when I read it on wikipedia.
That is the Triumph automobile, not the motorcycle. Two entirely different companies.

My MINI is part of BMW. Nothing bad about that. I do like Triumph motorcycle not being a part that however.

Hi No more
I too was in your position 8 months ago. I have always been a big fan of the Suzi V Strom 650 as it does most things very easily including touring. My mind set changed after seeing and taking the Triumph Scrambler XE for a test ride. The upright sitting position was perfect amongst traffic and the power was exhilarating. Being 5'8" I ended up buying the XC model as the XE was too high and I feel confident that I made the right decision. After a quick run in and first service I took the bike for a 3500km ride through the Australian bush and mountains. My previous bike was a wonderful Moto Guzzi Griso which I still love although I couldn't tour on it as an old back injury and the seating ergonomics caused searing pain after an hour. The Triumph provided an all day tourer and has given me a new lease of life. The numb bum did appear but after taking short breaks every few hours I could climb back on without any angst. My accessories include a sheepskin seat cover a small screen (larger than Triumph's) and the Triumph rack.
I think the bike looks very handsome from any angle and has become my favourite bike to ride especially around the fast mountain corners. I recently rode over a mountain range which was predominately dirt tracks and apart from the tyres struggling the bike and I did it easily.
No More this is my experience on the Triumph XC so I hope it gives you something else to think about. Good luck Wozza

Hi No more
I too was in your position 8 months ago. I have always been a big fan of the Suzi V Strom 650 as it does most things very easily including touring. My mind set changed after seeing and taking the Triumph Scrambler XE for a test ride. The upright sitting position was perfect amongst traffic and the power was exhilarating. Being 5'8" I ended up buying the XC model as the XE was too high and I feel confident that I made the right decision. After a quick run in and first service I took the bike for a 3500km ride through the Australian bush and mountains. My previous bike was a wonderful Moto Guzzi Griso which I still love although I couldn't tour on it as an old back injury and the seating ergonomics caused searing pain after an hour. The Triumph provided an all day tourer and has given me a new lease of life. The numb bum did appear but after taking short breaks every few hours I could climb back on without any angst. My accessories include a sheepskin seat cover a small screen (larger than Triumph's) and the Triumph rack.
I think the bike looks very handsome from any angle and has become my favourite bike to ride especially around the fast mountain corners. I recently rode over a mountain range which was predominately dirt tracks and apart from the tyres struggling the bike and I did it easily.
No More this is my experience on the Triumph XC so I hope it gives you something else to think about. Good luck Wozza
Thank you , I enjoyed reading of your experiance,and find it helpful. I am feeling 90% confident that I will go with the Triumph scrambler XC 1200. However in reality,it is all contingent on the test ride, and If I can figure out how to meet the financial end. perhaps come spring of 2021 I can find a good deal on a "hold-over" and be able to pay down my harley during the coming winter to make it work for me.

Hi No more
Very informative. I was hope to listen more from you

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom