Members Accident Experience/Riding Advice & Tips.

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Premium Member
Administrator
Local time
Today, 03:58
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Riding Since
This thread is for members to share their Members Accident Experience and is the opinion of the members and their encounter when faced with an accident experience on their bike.

Please Note - It is always a good idea to consult with a legal professional in a situation like this.

Good idea.

I've only ever had one crash and it didn't involve anyone else.
On 5 July 2008, I was riding along on the last day of a three-week tour of the Chili and Peru. I was on a guided tour with three Americans, two Belgians, myself and a buddy.
We had just come down from a high section of the Andes Mountains and were on a flat valley floor. The leader, Americans and Belgians were the fast riders and were often very far ahead of me and out of sight. My buddy also trailed well behind me and was often out of sight. We rode at our own pace, saw the sights and took pictures. The chase truck then followed. There was only one road so there was no chance of getting lost.
I wasn't riding fast when I entered what turned out to be a decreasing radius curve which was in fact a U-turn. Out in the boondocks there are no road signs. I didn't realize I was in trouble until it was too late. I leaned the bike hard and dragged the brakes, but I went off the road into a large drainage ditch. It was a hard landing, but I wasn't knocked out.
The ditch was well down off the road and when my buddy rode by he didn't see me. He was paying close attention to that dangerous curve. However, when he caught up to the lead group who just happened to take a rest not far away, they realized I was off the road somewhere. In the meantime, the chase truck found me, and then the other riders arrived.
I had dislocated my right shoulder and was in some pain. The lovely BMW I was riding was a wreck and loaded onto the truck.
The nearest town was about 20 miles away and had a small hospital. I was x-rayed and put in a heavy plaster upper body cast to isolate my arm across my chest. Once firmed by the cast the shoulder wasn't too painful.
For $100. US dollars, my buddy hired a local to take us back to the Inca city of Cusco where there was an international airport and hotels. The crash was on Saturday and Monday morning we were able to fly out to Lima, pick up another flight to New York and then another flight back to Canada. For three days we lived in airports and on planes.
Once home, I immediately went to the hospital and x-rayed again. The ball of the ball-and-socket shoulder joint was too badly damaged, so I had surgery and a steel prosthesis inserted.
Very soon after surgery I was put on a schedule of physiotherapy which lasted nearly six months over the fall and winter, so I really didn't lose any riding time.
I worked very hard at the physio because I wasn't going to allow myself to be infirmed for the rest of my life. It worked and I have about 95% range of motion which is the best that can be expected. Day-to-day, it's as if the crash had never happened and my life is completely normal.
The following April I mounted my trusty Bonneville and rode it as if nothing had ever happened. 15 years later it's still the same.
Oh yes, BTW, I was 70 years old at the time of the crash ;)

Last edited:
Rocky, you are my inspiration!

@Rocky You recovery from this accident was also amazing but then you put in the work as the doctor ordered.

Thanks guys TUP
I probably should have explained that the road was cut into the face of a cliff and the corner was blind. I couldn't see where the road was going until I was at the center/apex of the curve which was too late.
I entered the curve expecting it to be just a curve. I was very wrong BGRIN

Last edited:
I have already posted about my worst crash. I came across this on Facebook. I can relate to it.

Screenshot_20230810_154346_Facebook.jpg

UGH!! A sight I hate to see.

Hmmm, well, I guess I'm guilty.

The Speedmast having the counter on the tank makes it almost impossible to see.

So I just use the good old fashion way by sound.

So he's a physicist. That would explain a lot. I always assumed Ryan Kluftinger was an engineer.

Adventure Rider is having this same discussion about Ryan Fortnine"s ideo

No we don't 'need' to ride harder. Or need videos to tell us to.

I'm 'supposed' to ride my 70s Bonneville at 3,000 revs+. That's what the forum experts say, those elder wise ones, on account of too low oil pressure below 3,000. Seized crankshaft, you know?

Luckily, those experts don't ride pillion with me, shouting over my shoulder; I enjoy a nice smooth torque ride around 1800-2200 revs. And, motorcyclists seem in a bubble. There's pedestrians about. Why go past them with a stupidly screaming engine? And, I've fitted an oil guage, really isn't a problem, can always do a blip.

The video makes skewed points. Yes, there's more force at low revs on say conrods. So what? How often does a conrod break?

I just use a bit of instinctive mechanical sympathy.

Just realised this thread is going of topic. I'll post about the lost ball sometime.

No we don't 'need' to ride harder. Or need videos to tell us to.

I'm 'supposed' to ride my 70s Bonneville at 3,000 revs+. That's what the forum experts say, those elder wise ones, on account of too low oil pressure below 3,000. Seized crankshaft, you know?

Luckily, those experts don't ride pillion with me, shouting over my shoulder; I enjoy a nice smooth torque ride around 1800-2200 revs. And, motorcyclists seem in a bubble. There's pedestrians about. Why go past them with a stupidly screaming engine? And, I've fitted an oil guage, really isn't a problem, can always do a blip.

The video makes skewed points. Yes, there's more force at low revs on say conrods. So what? How often does a conrod break?

I just use a bit of instinctive mechanical sympathy.
I tend to agree with you. Ryan appears to be thinking mostly about multicylinder bikes rather than parallel or V twins. But lugging is bad for most any engine.

To get back on track, I have had numerous get offs and crashes riding off road. Riding on road, I have one had two crashes. The most recent was by far the worst and there is a current thread on that one.

Back in 2006 or there about. I went down and highsided trying to avoid running into the back of a Tahoe with no brake lights. The 03 T100 only received minor damage: turn signal, mirror and throttle control. I did have crash bars. I got a broken right ankle. Neither I nor my bike hit the Tahoe.

I was traveling south on US 441 in moderate traffic. The highway was 4 lanes, two in each direction with a median. There was a turning left that I couldn't see. The Tahoe was stopping for that car. I could not escape to the left because of the curb along the median. A car was beside me in the right hand lane. Mae Lyne, my late wife, was following me and blocked the road so I didn't get run over.

No one got charged; the trooper did show the Tahoe driver he had no brake lights. That driver helped a couple of bystanders load the bike in Mae Lyne's pickup and helped her tie it down.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't assume brake lights are working.
2. Practice emergency braking.
3. Stay far enough back to see around the vehicle in front.

Although I panicked braked, if the bike had not gone down.i would have hitthe Tahoe.

Ok, I'll start with a minor accident of mine. Worked in another nearby city. Commuted daily on my Motoguzzi California 850. Great bike. Big and heavy.

UK work culture involves drinking with colleagues and employers at lunchtime, and after work. Usually once a week, maybe twice. Christmas ? Best not mention that!

So, the Guzzi went around the roundabouts much better after a couple of beers. Coming into home city after work, didn't give enough space to car in front/over braked. Went down.

People are very helpful, which I needed with the big bike. Hadn't dropped it before. Kept a bit of a distance and wasn't very communicative. Didn't want them to smell the alcohol on my breath.

The California had big crash bars, no damage to me or bike.

Don't really think I need to tell the moral of the story? I wasn't necessarily over the limit, don't know now, was a long time ago. But one doesn't need to be to be impaired. I'll still have a beer if out in the car, won't now if on bike. Although, this year virtually stopped drinking anyway, usually have a diet coke or a lovely elderflower presse, etc.

This doesn’t involve a crash but it does speak to common sense being lacking after a long ride…
IMG_7786.jpegIMG_7787.jpeg

Parked the Scrambler in my bike shed late at night after a long day. I’m thankful that the only loss was the side pockets on my Saddleman Bag, a few bungee cords, and a cheap pair of rain pants.

Rethinking my bag strategy…and contemplating heat shields.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom