Need some help

your bike works with tuneECU that you can tune as well as do diagnostics i believe. DIY a few things costs little, besides bad fuel + gummed up injectors your battery may not be strong enough to keep all the electronics happy + unlike water cooled models a full factory manual is available

TuneECU is a very useful tool.

OK the final results are in! It's up and running. The problem was the ignition coil. I had measured the resistance of the low and high sides, and came up with the following readings on my Fluke meter. Low side 1.5 ohms...….( I believe this correct) High side 22K ohms. ( not sure what the factory spec is...but seems high.) The replacement NOLOGY coil measured 1.5 ohms and 8k ohms. I ordered the coil from British Customs, the only thing I have to fault them for, is they don't tell you that you can't use the stock plug wires. I ordered the plug wires which come with a very odd braided shielding wire that needs to be grounded to the frame, but they won't work with the stock spark plugs! So I ended up ordering everything from them in separate orders and this caused the long delay in my response and update. Seems odd a factory coil would fail after 130 miles. Happy Motoring!! MJK

Good to hear you solved the problem and are good to go! Congrats. TUP

You are welcome and thank you for letting us know how you resolved the issue.

good for you!! on a similar issue while still in Morocco where i purchased a new T120R in 1970, for less than a thou i add, anyhow it was missing once at running temp feeling for anything loose under the tank i burned my fingers on one of two coils, talk about lucky as there were no dealers as i picked up the bike in Rota Spain + rode + ferried it to my navy base + rode for 9 mo + luckily making E-5 it was shipped home by the military FREE of charge to Bayone NJ where i picked it up, well crated i might add, thanks uncle sam, this time!!

I’m getting my hands on a stock coil for this bike so I can take ohm readings of the low and high sides. I’ll post the findings once it arrives. It will be good to know if 22K ohms on the high side is bad or not.

OK, so I just finished taking readings on a brand new OEM Triumph ignition coil. This is a factory part.The bag says "MADE IN JAPAN" Part number T1290101 for my 2013 Triumph T100 Steve McQueen edition. They are almost identical to the faulty coil.
1.7 ohms on the low side...….21.5K ohms on the high side.
Morale of this story, my coil was breaking down under a load.
Good information, it can read good, and be bad. Word to the wise, if you suspect your coil is bad, just replace it.
I hope this helps someone down the road in the future.
Happy Motoring!

Attachments

• IMG_4582.jpg
    IMG_4582.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4583.jpg
    IMG_4583.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4584.jpg
    IMG_4584.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2
as i have commented before my new 70 T120R i purchased wile in the military for just under a thou had a miss once warmed up, feeling around i burnt my fingers on one coil just under the tank while the other was just warm, i got lucky with an easy fix!!!

OK, so I just finished taking readings on a brand new OEM Triumph ignition coil. This is a factory part.The bag says "MADE IN JAPAN" Part number T1290101 for my 2013 Triumph T100 Steve McQueen edition. They are almost identical to the faulty coil.
1.7 ohms on the low side...….21.5K ohms Greatthe high side.
Morale of this story, my coil was breaking down under a load.
Good information, it can read good, and be bad. Word to the wise, if you suspect your coil is bad, just replace it.
I hope this helps someone down the road in the future.
Happy Motoring!
Great advice. I experienced the same thing thing with my 03 T100. It was the coil and very hard to pinpoint.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom