Off road performance

VegasSuave

Local time
Yesterday, 21:24
My Ride
Triumph StreetTwin
How hard have folks in here taken their streettwin off-road?

I'm thinking not a lot cause I don't recall anyone posting about it.
Now the Scrambler riders would have ventured off road a little, or maybe a lot. ;)
I see in your pic you have yours rigged up for some off road. How do you like it?

I'm thinking not a lot cause I don't recall anyone posting about it.
Now the Scrambler riders would have ventured off road a little, or maybe a lot. ;)
I see in your pic you have yours rigged up for some off road. How do you like it?
I absolutely love it! Just hope she can handle the vibration. As far as I can see they are almost the same specs on both bikes. So if the scrambler boots fit, I’m putting them on and walking.
Figured to keep the K60s(not cheap) on have to hit the dirt at least twice a month. Very doable here in Vegas, plenty of dirt/sand around!
Might have to look at a Tiger here not to far into the future. Would really hate to ding up the ST too much. Luckily, both time I’ve gone down, it’s been on stupid sand.

Attachments

• 31F07B51-31FD-4F03-8C0B-D7D29404C211.jpeg
    31F07B51-31FD-4F03-8C0B-D7D29404C211.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 49D49C85-B4D1-4E8A-8D0A-735D219FE182.jpeg
    49D49C85-B4D1-4E8A-8D0A-735D219FE182.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 12
  • F8C6361B-F23C-49A7-BE37-5FB9EBCD7811.jpeg
    F8C6361B-F23C-49A7-BE37-5FB9EBCD7811.jpeg
    695.5 KB · Views: 12
Ive had my 05 Tiger off on many a trail and mud cow path--- but its a WAY different beastie than yours.

Oh --- I HIGHLY recommend--- Ive owned MANY marques and styles-- (all of them really) -- I had 5 bikes when I bought the Tiger--- within a little over a year the other 5 where gone--- Tigers are like the Swiss army knives of motorcycles--- with a LOVELY triple cylinder motor to top it off--- :y45:

Good day on the dirt this morning.
Absolutely love my ST!

Attachments

• E2690ABA-A52D-4B7E-8AE7-11CBBE6523F6.jpeg
    E2690ABA-A52D-4B7E-8AE7-11CBBE6523F6.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 477169A5-9D84-4F11-A48B-F6C685D05200.jpeg
    477169A5-9D84-4F11-A48B-F6C685D05200.jpeg
    697.8 KB · Views: 6
  • F3E12E94-2F9E-47A0-879B-EBA122A887BD.jpeg
    F3E12E94-2F9E-47A0-879B-EBA122A887BD.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 7
  • AD154343-E717-4395-ABD9-D0F124FBCCCD.jpeg
    AD154343-E717-4395-ABD9-D0F124FBCCCD.jpeg
    425.5 KB · Views: 8
I am sure this will handle the beating with no problem as you not really doing heavy off road but more dirt road riding, love those photos :D

Sorry that was not off-roady enough this time, I’ll try harder next time. Maybe I’ll break a bone or something for ya’.:p

Attachments

• B0299BAB-BB32-4767-8EBA-F2CB8FA13273.jpeg
    B0299BAB-BB32-4767-8EBA-F2CB8FA13273.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 5
  • A3BF69A4-F0C7-46A7-8ACB-69A6193D54BB.jpeg
    A3BF69A4-F0C7-46A7-8ACB-69A6193D54BB.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 38C51157-795C-443C-8FA5-C76CC72F9158.jpeg
    38C51157-795C-443C-8FA5-C76CC72F9158.jpeg
    619.5 KB · Views: 9
  • F68B96E1-AEAE-42D1-A979-0CB75565ACB2.jpeg
    F68B96E1-AEAE-42D1-A979-0CB75565ACB2.jpeg
    695.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 475924A9-0B35-4B52-8E4E-BF6705451B92.jpeg
    475924A9-0B35-4B52-8E4E-BF6705451B92.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 8
  • AB7DD768-8085-4D6E-B14A-637CA5A06FAA.jpeg
    AB7DD768-8085-4D6E-B14A-637CA5A06FAA.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 7E37DD02-4A03-4405-9D68-0E8E9550276E.jpeg
    7E37DD02-4A03-4405-9D68-0E8E9550276E.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 5
What's all that dry stuff???? Looks like Mars !! Lol
Great pics....GREAT bike! I think McQueen could cleared the fence with THAT bike ;)

What's all that dry stuff???? Looks like Mars !! Lol
Great pics....GREAT bike! I think McQueen could cleared the fence with THAT bike ;)
Vegas baby! Thanks, I love taking pictures. My girl gives some serious crap about it though.
Took me a bit to get used to the desert but if you like doing stuff outside, you get what you get. Little different to where I grew up.
McQueen might have, not my sorry behind!:LOL:

LOL

We are the opposite of desert--- for instance 19.9" of rain --just in MAY !!!

ALl things here are wt-- humid-- you have to be 1/2 amphibious to live in the Central Fl. Swamps---- I wouldnt know what to do with DRY -----lol

Sorry that was not off-roady enough this time, I’ll try harder next time. Maybe I’ll break a bone or something for ya’.:p

Make sure you throw in some blood, too, preferably some spurting arterial flow, that'd be great, thanks.....

Seriously, I am thrilled to read about your dirt experience on the ST! I am dying to do the same -- I hate feeling as though I can't/shouldn't go down a gravel path because my tires won't handle it. It's actually ME who can'thandle it, I'm sure ---

My riding buddy says he could ride it in the dirt/gravel with no problem, and I'm sure he could. But he's been riding dirt for at least 30 years -- he just did the TransAmerica Trail last year. But I'm a newbie and would feel better about having some grippy tires on the bike.

In one of your other posts you said you put on K60's 110/80 (front) -- I'm ignorant, does that mean you only put on a grippy tire in the front?

Another newbie question -- you have a 2017 ST; I thought the tire sizes were

Front: 100/90-18
Rear: 150/70-17

Also, your photos looked great! My bucket list ride - one of them - is to hit Moab.

Thanks!

I went to LV a few years ago, coming in on the plane i was amazed at all of the riding there, later as we went sightseeing i really fell in love with what the riding must be like. Take advantage of what you have, if i wern't old and decrepit i would be out there with you! I am thinking about doing that anyway!

Make sure you throw in some blood, too, preferably some spurting arterial flow, that'd be great, thanks.....

Seriously, I am thrilled to read about your dirt experience on the ST! I am dying to do the same -- I hate feeling as though I can't/shouldn't go down a gravel path because my tires won't handle it. It's actually ME who can'thandle it, I'm sure ---

My riding buddy says he could ride it in the dirt/gravel with no problem, and I'm sure he could. But he's been riding dirt for at least 30 years -- he just did the TransAmerica Trail last year. But I'm a newbie and would feel better about having some grippy tires on the bike.

In one of your other posts you said you put on K60's 110/80 (front) -- I'm ignorant, does that mean you only put on a grippy tire in the front?

Another newbie question -- you have a 2017 ST; I thought the tire sizes were

Front: 100/90-18
Rear: 150/70-17

Also, your photos looked great! My bucket list ride - one of them - is to hit Moab.

Thanks!
Hey SaraP,
The K60s are 110/80/18 and 150/70/17 on the back. They both fit great. The front is a little tighter so you might have to get the fender bracket from the scrambler to lift it a bit, I did. Was worried that rocks stuck in the threads would shred it. I take out once in a while still. This one will be the hardest to get, most dual tires come in 19, not 18 for the front, at least for me it was. There are some meaner looking and cheaper, but I really like these. I know I guy that put Shinko’s with a 120 in front. The machine looks bad ass but I think they are too big and will wear out faster than the K’s. They’re much cheaper though.
Both me and Toña(the ST) don’t like the really deep sand/gravel too much, actually gone down a handful of times. Luckily, no damage besides a bent shift peg. Keep your mirrors loose and hopefully you’ll be as lucky. The bike will take some beating for sure though. Make sure you’re ready for that. Get a sump plate!!!
Sorry this got very long but I hope it helps.
Hope you get out there, it sure is a blast!
Jean Paul

I went to LV a few years ago, coming in on the plane i was amazed at all of the riding there, later as we went sightseeing i really fell in love with what the riding must be like. Take advantage of what you have, if i wern't old and decrepit i would be out there with you! I am thinking about doing that anyway!
You’ve been riding for 58 years?!?! Man you’re old! :ROFLMAO: Just messing with you, I’m over 50 myself. Crazy amount of dirt(DaveM;)) riding between Nevada, California and Utah alone!
I do count my blessings every time I get out, so accessible it is around here. These pics are from last Monday.C801236D-6FF7-4414-ADC1-BC8C084F0432.jpegC801236D-6FF7-4414-ADC1-BC8C084F0432.jpeg605EFD1A-3473-4A75-8C52-7A352F5A7193.jpeg
Let me know if you ever get back this way,
Jean Paul

Attachments

• F7D1EFEA-642E-4C1B-A6B5-78D2E481DD01.jpeg
    F7D1EFEA-642E-4C1B-A6B5-78D2E481DD01.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 1
Hey, JP -

Crazy amount of dirt(DaveM;)) riding between Nevada, California and Utah alone!
I do count my blessings every time I get out, so accessible it is around here. These pics are from last Monday.

It's accessible but still pretty remote, from the looks of it. Just curious if you also carry an emergency beacon of some sort -- a Garmin Spot3 or something like that? Or maybe you have a riding partner in case of an emergency?

That road looks like something I would *love* to ride down!

JP,

Hey SaraP,
The K60s are 110/80/18 and 150/70/17 on the back. They both fit great. The front is a little tighter so you might have to get the fender bracket from the scrambler to lift it a bit, I did. Was worried that rocks stuck in the threads would shred it. I take out once in a while still. This one will be the hardest to get, most dual tires come in 19, not 18 for the front, at least for me it was. There are some meaner looking and cheaper, but I really like these. I know I guy that put Shinko’s with a 120 in front. The machine looks bad ass but I think they are too big and will wear out faster than the K’s. They’re much cheaper though.
Both me and Toña(the ST) don’t like the really deep sand/gravel too much, actually gone down a handful of times. Luckily, no damage besides a bent shift peg. Keep your mirrors loose and hopefully you’ll be as lucky. The bike will take some beating for sure though. Make sure you’re ready for that. Get a sump plate!!!
Sorry this got very long but I hope it helps.
Hope you get out there, it sure is a blast!
Jean Paul

Hi, JP -

Thanks for that specific tire info! I've cut & pasted it into my files, so hopefully I won't have to ask again.

Good point about the mirrors. I still have the OEM bug antenna mirrors on mine. Yours look pretty compact -- are they the Triumph peep mirrors or something else? At the very least, I think I could unscrew/remove my mirrors while out in the dirt, then put them back on to hit the street.

Also, your bike photo in your first post -- holy cripes, you've beaten the daylights out of it! I want *my* bike to look that! LOL I like a nice, clean, shiny bike as much as the next rider, but I also want my Triumph to kick some serious dirt butt, too. Wait a sec, is your fuel tank dented or is that just the way the photo is? Errr, well, I'll pass on the dent action, if that's what it is.

Also, what is that white thing on top of your tank bag?

Finally, riding out in some fairly remote areas as you do, do you carry an emergency beacon of any sort, like a Garmin Spot3? Or maybe you have another rider with you? Lots of stuff that can go wrong out there, and it's a pretty hostile environment.

Sorry for all the questions, but I look forward to your answers if you don't mind sharing.

JP,

Hi, JP -

Thanks for that specific tire info! I've cut & pasted it into my files, so hopefully I won't have to ask again.

Good point about the mirrors. I still have the OEM bug antenna mirrors on mine. Yours look pretty compact -- are they the Triumph peep mirrors or something else? At the very least, I think I could unscrew/remove my mirrors while out in the dirt, then put them back on to hit the street.

Also, your bike photo in your first post -- holy cripes, you've beaten the daylights out of it! I want *my* bike to look that! LOL I like a nice, clean, shiny bike as much as the next rider, but I also want my Triumph to kick some serious dirt butt, too. Wait a sec, is your fuel tank dented or is that just the way the photo is? Errr, well, I'll pass on the dent action, if that's what it is.

Also, what is that white thing on top of your tank bag?

Finally, riding out in some fairly remote areas as you do, do you carry an emergency beacon of any sort, like a Garmin Spot3? Or maybe you have another rider with you? Lots of stuff that can go wrong out there, and it's a pretty hostile environment.

Sorry for all the questions, but I look forward to your answers if you don't mind sharing.

I got the mirrors and the bar from triumph when I purchased the bike. Love the setup.
That’s an empty water bottle. That was my first long/hard ride. Learned a lot of lessons that day! Crazy hot, fricking hard never ending sand pits, huge rocks and got lost and actually started planning on spending the night in the desert. It was a bit scary. Went down twice that day. Exhausting but crazy fun day.
It looks like a dent but it’s just the way the dirt settled.
And no, I don’t carry anything emergency wise besides a first aid pack. Not the smartest I guess but I’ve been pretty lucky most of my life. I’ll bank on that for now anyways. Unfortunately, not really, I cook for a living so my social circle is not that large so I’m mostly riding solo, specially on the dirt.

I got the mirrors and the bar from triumph when I purchased the bike. Love the setup.
That’s an empty water bottle. That was my first long/hard ride. Learned a lot of lessons that day! Crazy hot, fricking hard never ending sand pits, huge rocks and got lost and actually started planning on spending the night in the desert. It was a bit scary. Went down twice that day. Exhausting but crazy fun day.
It looks like a dent but it’s just the way the dirt settled.
And no, I don’t carry anything emergency wise besides a first aid pack. Not the smartest I guess but I’ve been pretty lucky most of my life. I’ll bank on that for now anyways. Unfortunately, not really, I cook for a living so my social circle is not that large so I’m mostly riding solo, specially on the dirt.
**********************************************************************************************************************
Thanks for the answers! Glad that fuel tank 'damage' isn't really there!

Definitely going to get off my lazy keister and replace my mirrors soon.

I highly encourage you to check out some sort of emergency beacon system. That really is some studly, fairly high-risk riding you're doing. All it takes is a snakebite, a busted leg, getting lost, or no water, to - as CycleCruza says - give you a ******-up day.

But then again, I carry insurance on my insurance policies. LMAO.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom