Thunderbird Sport 900 1998 - Gaskets

Did you get this out? You won't be able to drill into the extractor; it's too hard and the drill will just walk off into the screw material. Sometimes you can find a torx bit that can be hammered into the socket and get a bite. As a last resort, you could try cutting a slot in the head and use a straight screw driver bit on it, or drill the head off and take the cylinder head off over the shank of the screw.

A few things- I was just reading UK magazine "Classic Bike" (or was it "Classic Bike Guide"?) and an article related that in UK early Hinckley bikes were increasing in value! You can still buy early Hinckley triples and fours, (especially fours!) for well under 3 grand or so, (at least here in S.E.Michigan/Ohio), but prices for super nice ones are going up steadily. And, yes, used parts, (EBay) are really scarce in USA- better luck in UK, but be mindful that there is a LOT of interchangeability between early Hinckley bikes, and some can mean significantly more hp. Avoid Germany sellers as they universally are $$$$$$$!!!! You are in USA, right? I have a 1996 Thunderbird, bought as a wreck. I have used Hermy's and Pandora with good luck, but prices for parts in UK are generally much less, including shipping, plus aftermarket is MUCH greater. EXAMPLE: my Thunderbird fried a crank position sensor/pick up coil. Local Triumph dealer, of course, did not have one in stock. "We can order one, take about 2-3 weeks" (Hell, I can order one!) and price quoted, (if I remember correctly) was $217. Bought one FROM TRIUMPH DEALER in UK for 121GBP, (about $154USD as of today) and GOT IT IN 5 DAYS! For complete gasket set, try SPRINT MANUFACTURING- www.triumphparts.co.uk- in UK. They stock a good number of parts for the early Hinckley bikes.

By the way; A FACTORY Triumph dealer workshop manual is right now listed on EBay for an opening bid of $49

Did you get this out? You won't be able to drill into the extractor; it's too hard and the drill will just walk off into the screw material. Sometimes you can find a torx bit that can be hammered into the socket and get a bite. As a last resort, you could try cutting a slot in the head and use a straight screw driver bit on it, or drill the head off and take the cylinder head off over the shank of the screw.
I got an impact hex driver to whack and loosen the bolts. I got a steel rod to hammer and smash the strip hex down into a tight shape. I’ll then I’ll bang a hex into it and try that. Looking to get on that today.

By the way; A FACTORY Triumph dealer workshop manual is right now listed on EBay for an opening bid of $49
Really??? I saw them going for 250 on eBay for my model

Update! Got a new job tig welding aluminum starting tomorrow. So right now I’m going to order a new chain! I’m not gonna be cheap about the chain! Do you have recommendations for sourcing a good chain for the tbs? After my first paycheck full of over time I’m going to order the eBay engine! So excited to get on the road // commuting on bicycle In south Florida is not fun

Recommend you check out this site:

I've purchased chains and sprockets from them for my Thruxton and Speed Triple. Great products, fast turn around, no nits to pick. And you can order the correct number of links vice having to buy large and remove unneeded links.

Update! Got a new job tig welding aluminum starting tomorrow. So right now I’m going to order a new chain! I’m not gonna be cheap about the chain! Do you have recommendations for sourcing a good chain for the tbs? After my first paycheck full of over time I’m going to order the eBay engine! So excited to get on the road // commuting on bicycle In south Florida is not fun
Tig weld a nut on that head bolt and take it out that way!

I had similar problems and used a hand impact tool with easy hammer taps broke them loose. Even the one I stripped a bit came loose.
Good luck.
I also use Hermy's for OEM stuff. Deliver fast and reasonably priced on shipping.

I worked as a mechanic in a "monster mega mall o'motorcycles" dealership here in Detroit. At the time they sold Hon/Yam/Kaw/Suz, plus Bombardier, Moto Guzzi, E-H, Cagiva/Ducati and Triumph plus snowmobiles and watercraft. They dropped all but the Japan stuff, so a factory Triumph workshop manual for all of the Hinckley models "came my way"

I worked as a mechanic in a "monster mega mall o'motorcycles" dealership here in Detroit. At the time they sold Hon/Yam/Kaw/Suz, plus Bombardier, Moto Guzzi, E-H, Cagiva/Ducati and Triumph plus snowmobiles and watercraft. They dropped all but the Japan stuff, so a factory Triumph workshop manual for all of the Hinckley models "came my way"
Don't wait!!! Place a bid!- will be the best money you ever spent on your bike! I also have a "Haynes" manual for the Hinckley triples and fours- OK, but nowhere near as much info as the factory one.

Factory manuals are the go to to get. If you have one keep it. If you can find one buy it! LoL.

I’m having difficulty finding what your looking for that pertains to the TBS

I had similar problems and used a hand impact tool with easy hammer taps broke them loose. Even the one I stripped a bit came loose.
Good luck.
I also use Hermy's for OEM stuff. Deliver fast and reasonably priced on shipping.
This is good to hear! Wasn’t excited about welding multiple nuts on this screw in the house hahaha

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom